Nigel Clough/Burton Albion/Bris/Ronnie troll fest

Holdontightuk

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, Eatonram said:

Lots of people comparing current team to "Clough's" team seem to be overlooking that the best players in our current squad are those bought by or introduced from the academy by Nigel Clough.

With every one of those players improving since Nigel left the club...

He was sacked because after 4/5 years or however long it was there was no rising tide of performance. We were no better in his last season than we were in his second. 

7 hours ago, Alpha said:

Yeah, we never won more games in a season than we lost. I would guess we had a poor goal difference too

Then McClaren came in. Sent Adam Smith packing and took us to Wembley. Then spent a moderate amount of money and was top from August to March. We got knocked out of cups by Chelsea twice and 10 men down to Reading. Then we collapsed to 8th with a better record, points tally etc than most of the last, I dunno, decade plus before it? Probably our 4th best finish since Jim Smith 

Is that the same Adam Smith now playing for Bournemouth in the Premier League ? I remember he was absolutely slated here.

To be honest, I don't think we should have got rid of Nigel - I could see a decent side evolving and we will never know where it could have finished that season or the season after with another couple of additions that actually fit into the team. My belief is that playoffs would have been a probability.

I think Mac did a great job getting the team playing better than they were and we played some great football, but since then we just haven't brought anyone in that improves the team, other than Carson and Shacks (on current form Thorne is debatable). Better individual players, but not the team.
And when people start saying we would have finished 15th if Nigel's record had continued that season - we would have finished 5 points and hence 1 place better off (having both scored and conceded fewer goals) if you take Mac's record against the same teams that season. A draw away at Reading and reversal of results against Forest and Millwall the only differences.

Should we bring back Nigel Clough though - no, get someone else to sort this mess out. It wouldn't be fair to ask him to do it again.

People forget, Mac came in and with Clough's team turned us into an attacking force to be reckoned with, yes I know he brought in a couple of players but it was 90% Clough's squad and Mac identified this and said as much during his first season with us.

There is nothing wrong in something similar happening again with the current squad, but we need another coach in for this to happen.......... 

There aren't many managers out there capable of doing it, TelTheRam....Allardyce, Pulis, Pardew maybe but I don't see any of them dropping a division and all would likely be on the lookout for a bigger job elsewhere like McClaren did, likely. 

The club needs a manager who will stay long term to build long term, although I don't actually think the task is as hard now as it was when Clough joined and the spine of the team remains his except Thorne anyway. I would guess (but obi don't know) they would love to have him back too. 

Nothing is impossible, MM needs to start think laterally, something Ive seen little if any evidence of him doing so far. And Rush needs to go, his 5 year plan is ******.

1 hour ago, trevor1946 said:

Wow to you clough got us from nothing with very little to  12th and 10th,and wage budget slashed as was his remit.

Clough----F-A-cup semi final----League cup-Semi-final,--play off semi-final,---23rd to 7th in first season,All with small wage budgets and a transfer kitty equal to george thorne.

Derby -playoff final with 11 clough signings, and 2 loan players,.-----Full stop,wage budget massive transfer budget est 30;000000,still in championship,a team of misfits,No i don't want Clough back,.,Stick to Head-Coach this is our 3rd

He is trying to perform a miracle up the road

So basically, you want us to sign Simon Clough back as a scout then?

2 hours ago, Holdontightuk said:

The argument is that the future was brighter under Clough, not that we had a better team......he hadn't spent £25 million and the year on year trend under him was one of steady improvement each year. I fail to see how anyone could argue against that. 

The future was so bright that we lost to Ssausagehorpe on penalties in front of 3000 people at Pride Park. 

Great times. 

2 hours ago, trevor1946 said:

Clough----F-A-cup semi final----League cup-Semi-final,--play off semi-final,---23rd to 7th in first season,All with small wage budgets and a transfer kitty equal to george thorne.

He is trying to perform a miracle up the road

Not sure where the facts for that first paragraph come from but I must have slept through most of it!

What miracle is he trying to perform? Get a team promoted that were clear at the top of the league when he took over?

I like NC but let's not make things up to try and over emphasize any achievements he may have had.

5 hours ago, Mr Tibbs said:

With every one of those players improving since Nigel left the club...

He was sacked because after 4/5 years or however long it was there was no rising tide of performance. We were no better in his last season than we were in his second. 

So what you are saying is that we should give his brother a job as chief scout?

7 hours ago, Holdontightuk said:

The argument is that the future was brighter under Clough, not that we had a better team......he hadn't spent £25 million and the year on year trend under him was one of steady improvement each year. I fail to see how anyone could argue against that. 

We didn't spend £25m from September to the play off final v QPR or the season we were top in March. 

5 hours ago, TelTheRam said:

Is that the same Adam Smith now playing for Bournemouth in the Premier League ? I remember he was absolutely slated here.

To be honest, I don't think we should have got rid of Nigel - I could see a decent side evolving and we will never know where it could have finished that season or the season after with another couple of additions that actually fit into the team. My belief is that playoffs would have been a probability.

I think Mac did a great job getting the team playing better than they were and we played some great football, but since then we just haven't brought anyone in that improves the team, other than Carson and Shacks (on current form Thorne is debatable). Better individual players, but not the team.
And when people start saying we would have finished 15th if Nigel's record had continued that season - we would have finished 5 points and hence 1 place better off (having both scored and conceded fewer goals) if you take Mac's record against the same teams that season. A draw away at Reading and reversal of results against Forest and Millwall the only differences.

Should we bring back Nigel Clough though - no, get someone else to sort this mess out. It wouldn't be fair to ask him to do it again.

Adam Smith comes off the bench for Bournemouth and was terrible for us while Andre Wisdom was excellent. 

There was a reason our gates were at low 20's and we took 600 fans away. We never won more games than we lost in his time here. 

Since he was sacked we have improved and now regularly top 30k. We have had amazing away days in the last couple of years. 

We never looked anywhere near the play offs under Nigel. Not even close. 

Even now, we are still in a far better position than we were under him.

And I appreciate what he did here. It was a crap job and he left it a team with potential. But he wasn't the man to take us further

Yep bring back Nige......that means we wouldn't have sold out at Rotherham before they went on General Sale and the Aberdeenshire Rams would be sorted out alright for tickets, or better still, if we bring back Nige now, about 2,000 folk will return their tickets, but surely not after our tremendous performance at Wolverhampton!

Archived