Nigel Clough/Burton Albion/Bris/Ronnie troll fest

Holdontightuk

11 hours ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

From the 27th of November to the end of the season we won 4 games, drew 7, lost 17 and dropped from 4th to 19th. That is relegation form not midtable form. A team that overachieved and collapsed as bad as it did would not beat our team that is 5th in the table in March and has been challenging in the play-off spots for the majority of the season. 

Wolves and MK Dons were both in relegation form when we played them...

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Alpha said:

Yeah, we never won more games in a season than we lost. I would guess we had a poor goal difference too

Then McClaren came in. Sent Adam Smith packing and took us to Wembley. Then spent a moderate amount of money and was top from August to March. We got knocked out of cups by Chelsea twice and 10 men down to Reading. Then we collapsed to 8th with a better record, points tally etc than most of the last, I dunno, decade plus before it? Probably our 4th best finish since Jim Smith 

Also if we had the same points at point in the last 20 years or so we would have been in the play offs, and 1 season even challenging for 2nd place on the last day of the season.

15 hours ago, trevor1946 said:

Clough has gone trying to pull a miracle off up the road at Burton.We at Derby have a,Custodian of the club.Perhaps not the dictator now is not the manager on team affairs,but the owner who is dictator of all aspects of the club,

With Sam Rush who planned and schemed our new strategy..We as fans supported the changes,but after 3 seasons of

us still being in the championship,And millions thrown  at it should we question it.  If we do fail this year---I know board out.

Problem we don't have one

Would not happen he built a good squad with just 6 million whilst getting rid of a load of dross on big contracts.

good thing is we don't have that type of player now.

Just a few points:-

NC has taken over a club at the top of the league so let's not pretend he is 'pulling off a miracle' with Burton.

What's this about there being no board? Are you sure on this one? A little research may show something different.

Although I think NC did a great job ia stabilising the club, why is such emphasis put on him getting rid of dross on big contracts? Why not try and turn that dross into decent players? Anyone can walk into a club and get rid of players. Maybe paying off the contracts was a major contributory factor in his limited budget?

To echo the majority on this thread, NO  !! Are peoples memories really that short ? Some of the most boring, one-dimensional football I've ever seen. Another Manager who had no Plan B, let only C.. And if you gave him 25M to spend, you would be sure to see another 20 Connor Sammons for your money.

Never look backwards. Trust in MM and Sam. It WILL come right. (I bloody hope.....) 

Yep, as expected most people have missed the essence of what Nigel was doing and the context he has doing it in. Oh well, another few seasons of dreaming ahead whilst the likes of Hull, Burnley and others lead the way. Not to mention Sheffield Wednesday, Brighton and Ipswich.......most on here would be calling for McCarthy's head too if he was at Derby achieving the same results as he is at Ipswich, whilst my money is on ipswich romping away with the title either next year or the year after. 

3 minutes ago, Holdontightuk said:

The argument is that the future was brighter under Clough, not that we had a better team......he hadn't spent £25 million and the year on year trend under him was one of steady improvement each year. I fail to see how anyone could argue against that. 

Yeah, we might have been in with a chance of promotion by 2057.

15 minutes ago, dcfcram1990 said:

WOW!! people really think this team is worse than clough's? think some of you lot need a reality check. we never even got a sniff off play offs under clough. yh its not good at the min but we have seen worse, a lot worse.

Wow to you clough got us from nothing with very little to  12th and 10th,and wage budget slashed as was his remit.

Clough----F-A-cup semi final----League cup-Semi-final,--play off semi-final,---23rd to 7th in first season,All with small wage budgets and a transfer kitty equal to george thorne.

Derby -playoff final with 11 clough signings, and 2 loan players,.-----Full stop,wage budget massive transfer budget est 30;000000,still in championship,a team of misfits,No i don't want Clough back,.,Stick to Head-Coach this is our 3rd

He is trying to perform a miracle up the road

Archived