Derby County v Huddersfield Town

Gritstone Ram

26 minutes ago, sage said:

My ratings and thoughts are

Carson 7 - Didn't make any mistakes but also didn't make any saves that any other keeper wouldn't.

Christie 5 - Started ok but then made a catalogue of errors, Must have lost the ball 10 times. Got handed a new one in the first 15 minutes of the second half.

Olsson 6 - Was ok occasionally good going forward, nut much too passive defensively. I like defenders to stay on their feet, but backed off and jockeyed far too much.

Keogh - 8 Immense again, Made a couple of minor errors that deny him a 9 but drives the team on and always looking to up the tempo.

Shackell 7 - Won every tackle and header but in the first half was often 5-10 yards deeper than Keogh playing wells onside when he could have easily stepped up. A sign of low confidence.

Hanson 6 - Did ok but doesn't read the oppositions attacking movements and needs to develop the ability to retain possession in tight areas if he wants to make a career in that position.

Hendrick 5 - Poor. Repeatedly lost possession try to take players on in the wrong areas. That's 3 poor games on the trot. His weak willed attempt to win a 50/50 on around 55 mins which would have given us a 2 on 1 was inexcusable. Improved in the last 20 as the game got stretched.

Butterfield 7 - Kept things ticking over and played the best two matches of the game to Ince and Christie. Didn't have his shooting boots on and he needs to start getting nearer to Martin more often.

Blackman  4 - Awful. He has had his chance in his old position and didn't take it. He literally did one good thing all game when he cut inside and shot a yard or two wide. Lost possession with his back to goal, didn't beat his man, no crosses and even stopped trying in the second half.      

Martin 8 - Led the line well, dominated his centre back and scored a great goal. It was a decent cross but there was a lot left to do. Would have got a 9 if he'd tested the keeper insyead of row Z with those two late shots.

Ince 7 - Better than he has been doing and better than I thought he'd play on the left, Still very frustrating with his lack of tracking back and refusal to play first time passes.

Subs

Bryson - 8 Full of energy has you expect and raised the game of Martin and Hendrick as he made the game become stretched with his runs behind.

Russell - 8 Along with Bryson made a massive impact on the game by using energy. Great finish for the goal, unlicky with another shot and superb cross that just eluded Martin. 

Thorne - 6 - Struggled to adapt to the pace of the game initially and doesn't look fit. Moved the ball well once he got into it. 

Overall

We looked a much bigger threat going forward, but defensively we looked poor for two 15 minute spells, A beteer team would have scored 1 or 2 of their chances. Our core of 2 centre backs and goalkeeper are solid and save us most of the time but it was carnage in front of them and down the sides of them. Defending isn't just for defenders.

It was something to build on and with Russell for Blackman and Bryson for Hendrick we should make the top 6. To have any success then we need to get Thorne fit. 

Blackman rating should be -4. 

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as I am concerned, every single player starts every single game with a clean slate. You are as good as your next match, not as bad as your last one.

Time for me to let the hand-wringers and wrist-slashers get on with it for a while.

I enjoyed it, Christies block saved a certain goal, and his cross provided one, so overall had a good game imo.

Not sure Olsson offers a vast amount more then Warnock, but looks more athletic doing it.

It made a nice change to struggle to pick a mom, rather than the Keogh default!

Ince looked much better, especially when more central.

Hendrick needs a under 10's coach to teach him how to shield a ball, stick your arse out Jeff, but his run made the 2nd and he looked much better after the subs.

Overall, a decent step in the right direction, not a leap, but not a shuffle either.

Huddersfield looked a lot better than the return fixture, yet we won more comfortably!

Play offs here we come.

4 hours ago, JoetheRam said:

From what I remember it was one of the worst experiences of a Derby win at Pride Park in my life.

We paid on the gate (only it wasn't the gate as you have to go to the ticket office now and queue up twice) to be told we could only go in the North stand or the West upper. As neither an old man, nor 8 year old, this was not a great choice.  Feeling tight, we opted to pay the £28 for the North, towards the scoreboard side.

We realised our mistake when there was seemingly the entire population of Derbyshire's primary school system sat around us, complete with names like Freddy darling and Joshy darling, and with the endless getting up and down for drinks and crisps, and the kicking of the chairs, and the screeching for Rammie, and the plum in their gob mothers saying stuff like "would you mind passing my £600 smartphone to little Tristram so he can play angry birds"... 

I'd had enough of this by half time and sought solace in a half time pie and a pint. Of course they'd ran out of pies by the time the drip serving my queue had counted everyone's change out as if he were working the cash-in desks at Caesars Palace, and they didn't have any Mars bars left. Putting my rage to one side, I had a rare moment of clarity and remembered how rubbish the beer is at football grounds. I settled for a pasty and a Twix.

£4.30 poorer, I made my way back to my seat, past the hordes of little monsters and posh mums, and reflected with my mates on what had been a rubbish first half, and how our life choices had lead us into this nightmarish scenario. Make no bones about it they battered us in the first 25 minutes - Ince hung Olson out to dry, offering no protection at all, Hanson had no ability whatsoever to stop anything through the centre and it was fortunate Keogh and Shackell were on their game. Yes we got a goal, and thank Christ(opher Martin) for that, but the general play was lathargic, ragged and despite all the shots from them, boring. Plus it got about 10 degrees colder, started raining, and the pasty was the 2nd worst thing ever put in my mouth. Miserable.

Second half was in fairness slightly better, Ince showed good quality when he got on the ball, although I felt he wasn't utilised enough and the substitutions did have a positive effect. At least the tactical genius sat next to me was having a good time picking out faults with Christie's positioning and claiming, to his uninterested 7 year old daughter that Steven Warnock was in the top 3 English left backs in the country. Even she was suspiscious of this man's ramblings.

Anyway, i'm making myself depressed recalling all of this through a fug of hazy half remembered images and snatches of conversations, so i'll sum it up.

Rubbish atmosphere, rubbish game, rubbish food, too many kids and women, poor quality football.

The best bit of this part of the day was the walk back into town, where I made innapropriate remarks to a stranger thinking it was my mate, got tripped up by a hugely apologetic guy with a beard who was quite the character, and recalled the overlooked striking talents of Danny Dichio. 

In the end I was left wondering what the hell happened to the Derby County and the football I used to enjoy as a kid. I'm still trying to formulate an answer.

Excellent summary! Can I sit with you for the next match!?

Just a word for Blackman. He didn't play well but he worked hard and made a couple of key tackles. He is out of position in a big way and not where he can play his natural game. I am no football guru but think he is the kind of player that beats his man by spinning off them or predicting where a ball is going to drop/bounce rather than wizard of the dribble. He isn't and can't be a left sided auxiliary attacker so while we mark him down we need to remember what the background is. ..mind you I could have strangled him late in the second half when he and Christie almost ended up fighting for the ball when he should have belted down the wing to give Christie an option .. Grrrrrrr 

1 hour ago, mozza said:

'and the pasty was the 2nd worst thing ever put in my mouth. Miserable'.

Someones got ask , we all want to know ..

@JoetheRam

Well I did once order a pint of Carling entirely of my own free will...

I'm not sure i've got a definitive top 3 nailed down to be fair, but it was up there.

On 05/03/2016 at 14:27, harryram said:
16 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:
7 hours ago, JoetheRam said:

I'd had enough of this by half time and sought solace in a half time pie and a pint. Of course they'd ran out of pies by the time the drip serving my queue had counted everyone's change out as if he were working the cash-in desks at Caesars Palace, and they didn't have any Mars bars left. Putting my rage to one side, I had a rare moment of clarity and remembered how rubbish the beer is at football grounds. I settled for a pasty and a Twix.

I trust the Twix was ok?

11 minutes ago, angieram said:

Is that the same C Christie getting slagged off on here or has he got a secret twin brother only visible to strangers? 

Well we actually watched the game, so I guess we have a more informed view.

48 minutes ago, sage said:

Well we actually watched the game, so I guess we have a more informed view.

I think they just watched his cross to Chris Martin on Vine

17 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Harsh as ever.  What score would you give him? 

Just 'cus you're a Hendrick fan.

I gave him a 5. Now i know he blocked that shot in the first few minutes he should have edged to a 6. 

Archived