Derby County v Huddersfield Town

Gritstone Ram

I don't say this very often but I thought Martin was man of the match for me . Right for a negative hendrick was awful laboured and lack a pair in the tackle ducked out of to many 50/50s and for the first 20 mins the game bypassed Hanson but did eventually get into the game but doesn't have to much effect on the game hopefully that is something that will come 

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, valleyram said:

But he's no match fit !! Certainly won't get it sitting on the bench , play him from the start and keep increasing the minutes he plays , if Jeff Hendrick is a better player than Bryso I don't see it 

After Bryson was introduced, we saw the best of Hendrick today, but Bryson was special. He and Russell ran the game after the came on - there was far more momentum going forward.

First 10 of each half they looked dangerous, but we were on top for the rest of it and deserved the win. Played well in patches. Ince had a good game, first time in a while, Blackman his best game yet in a Derby shirt. He reached the dizzy heights of "average" today. 5/10.

Bryson and Russell added bite and aggressive running, and Butterfield must surely be dropped in Bryson's favour for the next game.

Despite not looking forward to it...I was entertained today. Well done Derby, well done Darren Wassall for making the right subs to swing the game our way.

5 minutes ago, eddie said:

After Bryson was introduced, we saw the best of Hendrick today, but Bryson was special. He and Russell ran the game after the came on - there was far more momentum going forward.

Eddie that's the thing about Bryso , his work rate makes other players look better players and I think butterfield is harshly done by getting substituted all the time , but surely u agree with me that Bryso should start games from now on in 

Enjoyed a good open game, can see Huddersfield being decent next season if they can add a bit of quality on final third, pass it around nice and got a decent philosophy going...

Ince MOM for me, unlucky twice and should have scored

Bryson and Russell added bite today. Russell, for all the rubbish I've thrown at him recently, showed that he's great off the bench as an impact player...

We could have had 4/5 goals today, long time I've said that walking back from a match.

Long way to go to get back to our best, but that was not bad today... Not bad at all.

1 hour ago, McLovin said:

Furthermore, Hendrick was been winging it for weeks which is worrying as we continue to play him. No idea how he continues to play, bang average player league 1 standard at best

Yeah m8 totally.

So assuming "bang average" of League One is 12th, then Swindon Town is his level. He should be playing for them.

But oh no - that's not what you said. You said Jeff Hendrick is bang average League One standard at best. So Swindon Town isn't actually his level, is it? It's actually the best he can hope for - his standard when he's on form. So we need to look below the mid-table of League One to find Jeff Hendrick's true level.

So when we sell him in the summer, we can expect any of the following clubs to sign him: Fleetwood, Shrewsbury, Doncaster, Oldham, Blackpool, Crewe and Colchester. The current League One strugglers.

Although I would imagine that some of the teams coming up from League 2 might also be having a sniff. I'm totally with you McLovin, I can see Hendrick turning out for Plymouth Argyle next season.

The 24 year-old ROI international with 17 senior caps and near-200 appearances for Derby County will probably have the European Championships on his mind when the summer comes. But I tell you what, with that kind of pedigree, Hendrick would be a bit of a marquee signing for Accrington Stanley if they convert their current 4th place in League Two into promotion into League One. But then again, would Hendrick actually be that good of a signing for Accrington Stanley? Wouldn't really show much ambition from them if they were signing players who were merely average League One quality at their best. 

Good post, keep them coming.

I didn't watch the game but just from the result and write up, I'm really happy with it!

Saw a post someone left a few pages back slating the performance and the manager, which I feel is idiotic. The team winning will breed confidence.. Doesnt matter if it's 10-0 or 1-0 with a penalty in the 90th minute, The fact we have won, with some key players playing well, Is great news.

everyone wants us to trample teams 5-0 every week, But it takes confidence from these types of results to make that happen.

So next game we will smash QPR 5-0. :D

I thought we were lucky today. The only saving grace was that Huddersfield couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo. 

We took the goals well but I can't remember us controlling the game. I can't remember us putting more than 3 passes together. Huddersfield could have made the game a lot more difficult for us if they had introduced some tactics rather than trying to beat us by playing football. 

I thought Keogh was our motm today. God knows what happened to Christie in the last 20 mins. Hendrick was lightweight until Bryson came on.

I thought bringing off Butterfield was the wrong decision at the time but what do I know about football. 

26 minutes ago, valleyram said:

Eddie that's the thing about Bryso , his work rate makes other players look better players and I think butterfield is harshly done by getting substituted all the time , but surely u agree with me that Bryso should start games from now on in 

Valley - I suspect based on what I'm hearing and seeing that Bryson is still hurting (medial ligament) - he opted for no surgery and I think his lack of time is due to that - otherwise his lack of time is unjustifiable. We also know that he had injections to ease the pain ... Regardless He looks like a premier league player - and it felt like there were 3 Brysons out there - he was everywhere it was amazing ... And unlike the very static attacking mids we had. The crowd was very irked with DW for not replacing Hendrick (and taking JB off) JH lost the ball so much and in key positions which is disturbingly becoming quite common. 

Player ratings :

carson 7 fine display but never had to do anything spectacular

christie 7 good cross for the Martin goal and the play towards the end where he lost the ball at right wing and raced back to dispossess the hudd player by the left corner flag was brilliant ! But some of the rest was a bit iffy 

Keogh 8.5 damn rock of Gibraltar (minus the scary swipe miss which looped over our own bar) one great penetrating run where Ince? Almost scored. 

Shackell 8.5 one of his best games . Rock won everything 

olssen 7 thought he was shaky at first but grew into the game and by the end looked both solid defending and attacking 

Hanson 8.5 my man of the match with Ince. Before hendrick came on he bossed it with his passing and tackling. I think we need to find a way to play both him and Thorne 

Hendrick 4 lord he was really bad. The one defensive play where he flapped about their player and half heartedly let him get off a shot brought a bollocking from DW and he was talking back at him. Lost the ball so many times in such dangerous places. 

Butterfield - 6.5 he had a decent game and was very unlucky to be substituted ahead of hendrick 

these two don't get open enough or make runs enough after they pass 

Blackman 6 he was okay but got quieter as the game went in and was rightly subbed for JR

ince - 8.5 a candidate for motm he was really good both in his sweet passing and through balls his movement with the ball and he could have had 2-3 goals! His finishing was obviously not so good

martin 7 better and a nice headed goal. He looked way better with Bryson and Russell playing off him when the game opened and he missed a couple easy chances. He faded badly in the last 10 mins. 

Bryson 8 , Russell 8 , Thorne 6

Main thing today was that we saw for the first time in ages some of the sweet stuff that Derby were playing pre-clement. Clever interchanges in attack like the one that created the Russell goal - build off those and the magic will be back.

1 hour ago, jono said:

100% Agree except that it wasn't at the back it was the midfield who just went absent for the first 20-25 mins in the first half and same again in the second until Bryson / Russell injected some vigour and shamed Hendrick into getting his body in to gear. Butters and Hendrick looked slow and lazy compared to their opponents. Hanson sat too deep when he should have been our enforcer. 

The middle is the problem. We get bullied off the ball by fitter stronger players or because we hesitate to move the ball. When we don't have the ball we don't try hard enough to get the flipping thing. There seems to be a fitness / urgency thing missing from half the team.

Ince MOTM. Those that moan about him have no idea what difference a skilled footballer makes to a team. 

Summed it up perfectly there ! 

PistoldPete2
1 minute ago, Alpha said:

Glad Udders can't finish because they had no trouble slicing through us. 

This is true the midfield was awol defensively. 

I might be way out, but I reckon Butterfield was subbed for a rest. Not for ulterior reasons. He's started the last few games and been the pick of the midfield, if not the pick of the XI. Last week for sure and against Blackburn. Like Tom Ince, he's got magic in his boots, always capable of winning you a game by himself, even if games are a struggle, as against Blackburn for instance, he can ping one in from nowhere. But with games coming thick and fast and as Wassall eluded to in his press duties, it's as well to use the squad. In front today, Butters I thought played well after a sticky start, but why not give him a rest? Bryson is capable. We saw that at Fulham where he did a Butterfield. And he's not had much game time recently. Made sense to me anyway. 

I thought Jeff was the big and obvious weak link today. His performances since Brentford have got progressively worse. But I've come to accept that now with him. He's talented, I really like him. But consistency isn't his forte. Johnson gets stick on here and rightly so at times but Hendrick has been just as poor recently. He should be kicking on after his man of the match display at Brentford. Instead he's played exactly like he's done for the majority of the season and would be making way for Bryson at Rotherham, were I in charge. 

Ince my man of the match today. He's another who struggles for consistency, but he's magic at times. With him, Butters and Martin in the side you've three real match-winners. 

Nick Blackman did himself no favours with that display today, sadly. And JR coming on and scoring sums it up. I don't rate Russell. I like him, he works hard and off the bench against tired legs he's a handful, today being proof of that. But he's nothing special is he? Yet I'd pick him over Blackman all day and all night. Where's Camara though? Bizarre signing. 

I felt Huddersfield were good to watch and could really have got something today. But their defence was non-existent and I think we deserved the win overall. 

Onto Rotherham. Who got a huge victory today themselves. Did us a favour I suppose. I'll be there. First time at their new stadium. Another to tick off. 

:)

3 hours ago, McLovin said:

Wassall is out of his depth. He didnt have a clue what to do during the huddersfield onslaught just after half time. Against a better team we would have got blown away. The players really got him out of that pickle. The decision to take off butterfield afirms that wassall isn't the right man to take us forward and deservably got booed for that.

And you are quite clearly out of your depth trying to talk about football.

Whati is this onslaught you talk of?

If it was such a massive onslaught I assume we defended very well for them to only have 4 shots on target?

You seem to have jumped on the Butterfield bandwagon a bit late, today was his worst game for a while and he could have no complaints being substituted.

If you thing it deserves booing, I really really hope you stop going to matches...that's if you do.

Archived