Derby County v Huddersfield Town

Gritstone Ram

17 hours ago, mozza said:

'and the pasty was the 2nd worst thing ever put in my mouth. Miserable'.

Someones got ask , we all want to know ..

@JoetheRam

Thats the bit that had me worried.

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, JoetheRam said:

From what I remember it was one of the worst experiences of a Derby win at Pride Park in my life.

We paid on the gate (only it wasn't the gate as you have to go to the ticket office now and queue up twice) to be told we could only go in the North stand or the West upper. As neither an old man, nor 8 year old, this was not a great choice.  Feeling tight, we opted to pay the £28 for the North, towards the scoreboard side.

We realised our mistake when there was seemingly the entire population of Derbyshire's primary school system sat around us, complete with names like Freddy darling and Joshy darling, and with the endless getting up and down for drinks and crisps, and the kicking of the chairs, and the screeching for Rammie, and the plum in their gob mothers saying stuff like "would you mind passing my £600 smartphone to little Tristram so he can play angry birds"... 

I'd had enough of this by half time and sought solace in a half time pie and a pint. Of course they'd ran out of pies by the time the drip serving my queue had counted everyone's change out as if he were working the cash-in desks at Caesars Palace, and they didn't have any Mars bars left. Putting my rage to one side, I had a rare moment of clarity and remembered how rubbish the beer is at football grounds. I settled for a pasty and a Twix.

£4.30 poorer, I made my way back to my seat, past the hordes of little monsters and posh mums, and reflected with my mates on what had been a rubbish first half, and how our life choices had lead us into this nightmarish scenario. Make no bones about it they battered us in the first 25 minutes - Ince hung Olson out to dry, offering no protection at all, Hanson had no ability whatsoever to stop anything through the centre and it was fortunate Keogh and Shackell were on their game. Yes we got a goal, and thank Christ(opher Martin) for that, but the general play was lathargic, ragged and despite all the shots from them, boring. Plus it got about 10 degrees colder, started raining, and the pasty was the 2nd worst thing ever put in my mouth. Miserable.

Second half was in fairness slightly better, Ince showed good quality when he got on the ball, although I felt he wasn't utilised enough and the substitutions did have a positive effect. At least the tactical genius sat next to me was having a good time picking out faults with Christie's positioning and claiming, to his uninterested 7 year old daughter that Steven Warnock was in the top 3 English left backs in the country. Even she was suspiscious of this man's ramblings.

Anyway, i'm making myself depressed recalling all of this through a fug of hazy half remembered images and snatches of conversations, so i'll sum it up.

Rubbish atmosphere, rubbish game, rubbish food, too many kids and women, poor quality football.

The best bit of this part of the day was the walk back into town, where I made innapropriate remarks to a stranger thinking it was my mate, got tripped up by a hugely apologetic guy with a beard who was quite the character, and recalled the overlooked striking talents of Danny Dichio. 

In the end I was left wondering what the hell happened to the Derby County and the football I used to enjoy as a kid. I'm still trying to formulate an answer.

Well....if you will sit in the Adam Johnson Stand.

Carson 6 - Didn't really have too much to do so doesn't get a high rating but what he did do was okay. 
Christie 6 - Good cross for the goal and good block but still holds onto the ball too much and his passing can be so poor.
Keogh 8.5 - Standard performance again does everything so well, drives the team on with his forward runs. One dodgy clearance but we didn't concede so no problem.
Shackell 8 - Good performance, won most of the headers in his area. Looked better than his last few performances which have been unlike him.
Olsson 7 - Leaves himself a bit exposed sometimes with his forward runs but is quick enough to get back so makes up for it. Did okay for me.
Hanson 7 - Gives the ball away a little too much for me but I love to see a good hard tackle and he did a few in the game. Plus he's fitter than Thorne at the moment so keeps his place for me.
Hendrick 5 - No comment as I just get too angry. 
Butterfield 7 - Wrong decision to be taken off as he was playing okay but his shooting was off today. Bryson did a good job replacing him but he would have done the same if he had replaced Hendrick.
Blackman 6 - Still not a winger for me but put a bit more effort in to get involved. Right decision to be subbed.
Ince 8.5 - Much better today. H was chasing down and winning the ball back, slipping lovely balls through to Olsson. MOTM
Martin 8 - Great goal and is actually starting to do a bit of chasing down instead of standing with his defender making it easy to mark. Nice new haircut too.

Bryson 8 - Got to start the next match instead of Hendrick. He gives us so much energy and confidence and loves to get close to Martin.
Russell 8 - Was the right decision to be on the bench he's been struggling lately but it's always nice to prove the manager wrong. Great finish and same as Bryson gives us energy.
Thorne 5 - Still looks unfit to me and deserved to be on the bench. He came on and gave the ball away 3 times very poor passes. I still love him though and hope he gets fit soon :wub:.

Overall I did not enjoy the first 20 minutes or so as Huddersfield came out strong and outplayed us but we didn't concede so must of done a good job defensively. We scored two goals and got 3 points so very happy with the game. Ince was much better down the left as he is so predictable down the right and always gets doubled up on , MOTM for me looked the bright spark. I was also angry with Butterfield coming off instead of Hendrick but I didn't go over the top and boo like some did, bit harsh on Wassall with the chant too. I love it when Wassall comes over to celebrate too it's so over the top but makes me laugh so I want him to keep it up, plus it means we have won which is always good.

23 hours ago, JoetheRam said:

From what I remember it was one of the worst experiences of a Derby win at Pride Park in my life.

We paid on the gate (only it wasn't the gate as you have to go to the ticket office now and queue up twice) to be told we could only go in the North stand or the West upper. As neither an old man, nor 8 year old, this was not a great choice.  Feeling tight, we opted to pay the £28 for the North, towards the scoreboard side.

We realised our mistake when there was seemingly the entire population of Derbyshire's primary school system sat around us, complete with names like Freddy darling and Joshy darling, and with the endless getting up and down for drinks and crisps, and the kicking of the chairs, and the screeching for Rammie, and the plum in their gob mothers saying stuff like "would you mind passing my £600 smartphone to little Tristram so he can play angry birds"... 

I'd had enough of this by half time and sought solace in a half time pie and a pint. Of course they'd ran out of pies by the time the drip serving my queue had counted everyone's change out as if he were working the cash-in desks at Caesars Palace, and they didn't have any Mars bars left. Putting my rage to one side, I had a rare moment of clarity and remembered how rubbish the beer is at football grounds. I settled for a pasty and a Twix.

£4.30 poorer, I made my way back to my seat, past the hordes of little monsters and posh mums, and reflected with my mates on what had been a rubbish first half, and how our life choices had lead us into this nightmarish scenario. Make no bones about it they battered us in the first 25 minutes - Ince hung Olson out to dry, offering no protection at all, Hanson had no ability whatsoever to stop anything through the centre and it was fortunate Keogh and Shackell were on their game. Yes we got a goal, and thank Christ(opher Martin) for that, but the general play was lathargic, ragged and despite all the shots from them, boring. Plus it got about 10 degrees colder, started raining, and the pasty was the 2nd worst thing ever put in my mouth. Miserable.

Second half was in fairness slightly better, Ince showed good quality when he got on the ball, although I felt he wasn't utilised enough and the substitutions did have a positive effect. At least the tactical genius sat next to me was having a good time picking out faults with Christie's positioning and claiming, to his uninterested 7 year old daughter that Steven Warnock was in the top 3 English left backs in the country. Even she was suspiscious of this man's ramblings.

Anyway, i'm making myself depressed recalling all of this through a fug of hazy half remembered images and snatches of conversations, so i'll sum it up.

Rubbish atmosphere, rubbish game, rubbish food, too many kids and women, poor quality football.

The best bit of this part of the day was the walk back into town, where I made innapropriate remarks to a stranger thinking it was my mate, got tripped up by a hugely apologetic guy with a beard who was quite the character, and recalled the overlooked striking talents of Danny Dichio. 

In the end I was left wondering what the hell happened to the Derby County and the football I used to enjoy as a kid. I'm still trying to formulate an answer.

You'd get a completely different experience at the back of the South Stand. Good bit of laddish banter, never sat down since we moved from the East Stand, well, not at the match anyway. Close enough to share a bit of abuse with the away fans occasionally as well.

I'm not sure if there are many match day tickets available, certainly won't be many at the back from the camera/drummer position to the East Stand but it would be worth trying, order on the phone the day before and pick up the tickets on the day.

Its a sign of the times though that the most aggressive moment of the whole day was when the Half-Time pre-order beer kiosk only had one serving and most of those who had paid for their beer before the game ended up waiting all half time for a pint of pish!

19 hours ago, jono said:

Just a word for Blackman. He didn't play well but he worked hard and made a couple of key tackles. He is out of position in a big way and not where he can play his natural game. I am no football guru but think he is the kind of player that beats his man by spinning off them or predicting where a ball is going to drop/bounce rather than wizard of the dribble. He isn't and can't be a left sided auxiliary attacker so while we mark him down we need to remember what the background is. ..mind you I could have strangled him late in the second half when he and Christie almost ended up fighting for the ball when he should have belted down the wing to give Christie an option .. Grrrrrrr 

For a player that has played on the wing more often than not, it is worrying that he cannot play the position, or doe not want to play the position. As for working hard he get a roasting of Shacks and Keogh a few times for not helping back, partically once in the first half, think he got it from Carson as well on that occasion as he was by the half way line whilst their lb was in our box.

I was a bit confused listening to RD on the way home, with callers saying we had been defensively poor.

How can people say that when we kept a clean sheet against one of the best attacking teams in the league? I thought Huddersfield looked brightest up front, very ropey indeed at the back and about matched us in midfield. To come out of that with a clean sheet was my definition of a text book "solid defensive performance". My criticism would have been that we didn’t win by more than 2 goals – but maybe I just watched a different match?

Not added my thoughts yet so here goes.

It was an odd game, I felt strangely disinterested throughout and spent most of the game chatting to the bloke next to me about which punk bands we had seen.

We didn't get out of second gear so the win was welcome but I believe our 'recovery' is still fragile despite having a few wins under our belt. Saturday we were average, Blackburn we were not even that good and Brentford we played well for ten minutes.

Will playing like that be enough to get us over the line? Who knows.

Archived