Derby County v Huddersfield Town

Gritstone Ram

3 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Furthermore, Hendrick was been winging it for weeks which is worrying as we continue to play him. No idea how he continues to play, bang average player league 1 standard at best

I'm not Hendrick's biggest fan, but that is just absolute nonsense isn't it.

He's a good technical player that needs to be allowed almost no defensive responsibility. I don't think he should play personally but he's very good when he's on it.

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, McLovin said:

Yes we won but this team is miles off the team that were in the play offs a few years back and worryingly behind our play off rivals. Play this way in the play offs then we will get slaughtered. Huddersfield could have easily scored in the first few minutes when it deflected off Shackell I believe and nearly dipped in

I bet you're fun at parties

Martin coming into form, that goal will do Russell a world of good, that game will do Ince a world of good, a clean sheet, Hughesy on his way back, Bryson coming back, im going to the pub.All positives i take from today's game, the last one being the biggest :D

Thought Bryson was great when he came on.

He creates space for himself, creates space for others, keeps the opposition defence under pressure, and works well with Martin, Russell and Thorne. When it clicks he transforms the team from a bunch of plodders into something a bit more special.

PistoldPete2

Midfield still isn't working properly , Hendrick had a mare and we need more in midfield ... Thorne back to his best please , or play a extra man in midfield. No good having three up front if we can't get the ball to em, altho front three did pretty well today when they got the ball. 

Ince on the left worked. A natural left footer Sage!

he obviously had a license to come central as had Johnson previously 

but.....he doesn't have the option to cut in from the right on his left foot which has become so predictable.

A better performance overall.

hanson did quite well. Jeff was crap. He seems to be turning into robbie savage. 

We blew hot and cold but did enough.

We're showing a lot more signs under Wassall than we ever did under Clement, in my opinion. 

The midfield trio is the key, though. I think we need to work on that before we really see what our team can do. The widemen are playing with more freedom and intent. 

Better from us today, but it was no surprise to me. Johnson wasn't playing.

Ince looks much better on that left, looks like he was given licence to roam and it got the best out of him. MOTM.

Don't understand why Butterfield was subbed and not Hendrick though, I thought Jeff was poor. 

Well that was varied game, Huddersfield were decent going forward one very decent chance in the first half. One good header from Martin gave us the lead with ince looking interested and could easily have had a hat trick but the main point being that we looked an attacking threat once the energy was put on the pitch thank you Bryson and Russell who improved plenty of others who were left on the pitch with them.

Much better going forward. 

Ince very good today, deserved a goal. 

Still very soft at the back. Knife through butter at times. Weak in the tackle, just letting men run the length of the pitch. Really need to man up a bit. We were very lucky not to concede a couple today. 

Tin Hat Time!

I thought Hendrick played well today...well maybe not 'well', but think criticism has been harsh. Thing is to me, he was always an option for the player with the ball, happy to hold onto it and looked to move forward when he had it. This is unlike, imo, Butterfield who can be far too slow on the ball, and too ready to pass sideways and back. I can maybe accept that out of Thorne or Hanson as a DM, but not a player who not from the CM so regularly. And  that's not to say Butterfield didn't play well, but can anyone now say he was wrong taking Butterfield off for Bryson?

Back to Hendrick, I'm not saying it what he did worked every time and he's obviously a player lacking in confidence and fitness, but let's be honest they all are atm. But a few times I was happy with how he found space for himself for a pass or look to pass forward. To me he was trying to do the right things and grafted, and there's only one way to get your form back

25 minutes ago, Srg said:

Much better going forward. 

Ince very good today, deserved a goal. 

Still very soft at the back. Knife through butter at times. Weak in the tackle, just letting men run the length of the pitch. Really need to man up a bit. We were very lucky not to concede a couple today. 

100% Agree except that it wasn't at the back it was the midfield who just went absent for the first 20-25 mins in the first half and same again in the second until Bryson / Russell injected some vigour and shamed Hendrick into getting his body in to gear. Butters and Hendrick looked slow and lazy compared to their opponents. Hanson sat too deep when he should have been our enforcer. 

The middle is the problem. We get bullied off the ball by fitter stronger players or because we hesitate to move the ball. When we don't have the ball we don't try hard enough to get the flipping thing. There seems to be a fitness / urgency thing missing from half the team.

Ince MOTM. Those that moan about him have no idea what difference a skilled footballer makes to a team. 

1 hour ago, McLovin said:

The huddersfield fans sung what a waste of money after butters had a shot that went wide in the first half. Many Derby fans booed Wassall's decision to take Butterfield off.

I also thought that it was Huddersfield's fans who booed Butterfield, but I'm really not surprised if some of our boneheaded thick-as-pigshit fans joined in. You must be proud.

55 minutes ago, ramesses said:

Thought Bryson was great when he came on.

He creates space for himself, creates space for others, keeps the opposition defence under pressure, and works well with Martin, Russell and Thorne. When it clicks he transforms the team from a bunch of plodders into something a bit more special.

But he's no match fit !! Certainly won't get it sitting on the bench , play him from the start and keep increasing the minutes he plays , if Jeff Hendrick is a better player than Bryso I don't see it 

Archived