Holloway!

Derbados

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I quite like the bloke, and regarding the Boro prediction, he's only saying what (I'm guessing here) about 80% of Derby fans will be saying in the match thread.

Edit:

If you agree, give Mostyn the 'like' - he said it first ^^^^^.

I don't think he "hates" Derby, well i've not seen any evidence of it. However what i have seen evidence of is how crap he is on Sky as a 'pundit'. Just terrible and doesn't seem to know when to stop talking, i often wonder if he's had a drink.

He does come out with some tripe, in fact I'd even say he predicts more garbage than not, but he's got this one spot on for me.  

Middlesbrough are in great form and I'd be ridiculously surprised to see us get all three points this weekend. 

I have seen in one form or another seven away games this season - Wednesday, Leeds, Forest, Bolton, Portsmouth, MK Dons, Hull - and we've not yet put in a really good performance IMO. The Hull game was a great result, don't get me wrong, but the performance wasn't outstanding. 

I said during the Leeds game that, aside from the Bristol City game, we haven't touched the heights of last season. However, we haven't experienced the lows. We're a much, much smarter and well drilled side but we certainly don't look as good IMO. 

Middlesbrough have seen off Burnley, Ipswich, Brighton and Sheffield Wednesday in four of the last five games and have the home advantage. As I said, I'd be stunned if we were to pick up all three points. I'd snap your hand off for a point now. 

The thing that irritates me with pundits is the way they decide on what the story is and then try to make events fit it to justify them. e.g. Hendrick scores a very good goal v Leeds "that's the expensive squad Derby have spent the money on x eleventy"

They all do it.

The media and pundits in general don't seem to credit or like Derby County very much but there's no pint in getting up tight about it. Most fas of other teams have a decent idea of us and excepting a few clubs are pretty reasonable.

Games like this are often decided by unusual incidents eg some team scoring against Boro.

Boro are better than us but Clement is crafty. He will have a cunning plan. Good practice for a Premiership game, this one, to see how we perform when we are expected to lose. Hoping for 1 - 1 but 1 - 0 is more likely. Long range shooting is the key for us. It will be interesting to see if any Rams players go missing. Tom Ince could be the surprise package on this one.

21 minutes ago, mozza said:

He's full of character , there's a lot of managers i wouldn't want here , before i wouldn't

want him , should the case arise , which i hope it don't ..

if you know what i mean ..

He's a chippy anorl ..

Personally think the guy is a complete PR+ck did well at Plymouth and Blackpool and became popular for voicing opinions which at the time werer often humerus and a breath of fresh air now just drivells tripe at any opportunity ,after his spell as palace manager surprised he is employable in any role remotely related to football other than cleaning the bogs and as for any role at Derby I wouldn't trust him to manage a mop and bucket

5 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

What are people expecting him to say just out of interest?

I have Ram tinted glasses and hope for a point at best!

I expect to lose, completely. It's more the manner he says it and the fact he thinks we're going to lose every game. "I can't see them doing it with the way they play". etc.

Holloway doesn't dislike us, he's purposely controversial and it seems that to be a Sky Sports pundit you have to follow this strict rule. Redknapp/Henry/Souness - they're all the same.

The purposely spout garbage in order to draw debate. By saying the logical things, they aren't really creating anything newsworthy therefore people wouldn't read it.

Who in their right mind would predict Bristol City to beat Derby. Last weekend, he predicted Sheffield Wednesday to beat Middlesbrough. Have you seen Wednesday's away record?

Logic pointed to home wins on both occasions, but logic doesn't attract debate.

Holloway's prediction for Boro vs Derby is pretty much what I'd go with, but the way he says it purposely draws debate. Deep down I bet he doesn't believe what he is saying.

2 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Holloway doesn't dislike us, he's purposely controversial and it seems that to be a Sky Sports pundit you have to follow this strict rule. Redknapp/Henry/Souness - they're all the same.

The purposely spout garbage in order to draw debate. By saying the logical things, they aren't really creating anything newsworthy therefore people wouldn't read it.

Who in their right mind would predict Bristol City to beat Derby. Last weekend, he predicted Sheffield Wednesday to beat Middlesbrough. Have you seen Wednesday's away record?

Logic pointed to home wins on both occasions, but logic doesn't attract debate.

Holloway's prediction for Boro vs Derby is pretty much what I'd go with, but the way he says it purposely draws debate. Deep down I bet he doesn't believe what he is saying.

Wouldn't the controversial thing be to predict a Derby win?

Provided we don't have any daft exaggerated goalkeeping and provided shackell is fit, there's no reason why we should not win this.

they have a superb defensive record, two holding midfielders to protect the back four, and they are very dangerous from corners.

but we have butterfield, thorne and johnson who can all hit the target from 25 yards. Plus ince and russell to run directly at them. Johnson is threat from corners. 

It should be as tight as a nun's chuff, but it could go either way.

22 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Provided we don't have any daft exaggerated goalkeeping and provided shackell is fit, there's no reason why we should not win this.

they have a superb defensive record, two holding midfielders to protect the back four, and they are very dangerous from corners.

but we have butterfield, thorne and johnson who can all hit the target from 25 yards. Plus ince and russell to run directly at them. Johnson is threat from corners. 

It should be as tight as a nun's chuff, but it could go either way.

Isn't it a gnats chuff and as dry as a nuns??

5 hours ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

Didn't he say the same about Hull away and look what happened. Lol. 

Exactly the comparison. Many pundits, not just Holloway, thought Hull would prove too much for us and the boys set themselves and beat Hull quite convincingly.

I have a great deal of admiration for how Boro have played this season. In many ways, they're tracking the same way as us. Started slowly and worked their way into second gear.

While I am expecting a very tight, almost risk-averse, match between us and Boro (from both sides), I have the same feeling that we'll step up to take them on. That said, I think both sides still have gears in hand and I doubt anyone knows which club has more in reserve just yet.

I'm not suggesting that we'll knock them over the way we did Hull but I do expect we'll give a good account of ourselves. I just hope Granty takes his anti-anxiety pills though.

3 hours ago, SaintRam said:

I expect to lose, completely. It's more the manner he says it and the fact he thinks we're going to lose every game. "I can't see them doing it with the way they play". etc.

Did he not say we like to play football through the middle?

I'm sure he does not expect us to lose every game we play.

28 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Did he not say we like to play football through the middle?

I'm sure he does not expect us to lose every game we play.

Taken from WhoScored, our positional stats for the season suggest differently:

35% Left hand side

26% middle

38% right hand side

Shows perfectly how much he knows about us

http://www.whoscored.com/Teams/20/Statistics/England-Derby

Archived