DLF

scarboroughwa

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 18/02/2016 at 21:18, EastHertsRam said:

I remember a popular chant most games that went along the lines of "Ones going to get one's cranium calcitrated in"...or words to that effect, can't remember the exact words. ;)

There was also the AG AGR AGRO AGGRO song.......a regular at grounds in the 70s

1 hour ago, King Kevin said:

There was this lad we always used to chat to we called him chinner because he used to go up to opposing fans and say do you want chinning.

Me and my cousin went to Spurs away one night and chinner was there nicking Tottenham scarf's and he was talking to us from time to time .

After the match the spurs fans came looking for him and of course us by association .Chinner  went in this shop doorway got a load of milk bottles and said run lads I'll hold em off and he did bless him . Last we saw of him was standing in the middle of the road throwing milk bottles at the opposition.

God bless you Chinner, wherever you are out there. A true hero.

1 hour ago, King Kevin said:

There was this lad we always used to chat to we called him chinner because he used to go up to opposing fans and say do you want chinning.

Me and my cousin went to Spurs away one night and chinner was there nicking Tottenham scarf's and he was talking to us from time to time .

After the match the spurs fans came looking for him and of course us by association .Chinner  went in this shop doorway got a load of milk bottles and said run lads I'll hold em off and he did bless him . Last we saw of him was standing in the middle of the road throwing milk bottles at the opposition.

Chinner just sounds like a common thug to me.  A nuisance to the rest of society.  

2 hours ago, archied said:

Come on , most of us around a certain age know that if you went home and away matches you almost had to be in or around the fringes or you got picked off , football was tribal back then if you were under 40 years old it was hard not to be at least semi involved in the agg

Nah mate, you had to really look for it at matches and hang around dem in gear, who thought it was hard and fun to find it.

Always found more trouble on the school playground than at games myself. Only time I remember breaking into a sprint was after the win at Spurs in the late 80s, they ran half a dozen of us in the London supporters club up the seven sisters road from memory. 

Worst I saw was as a nipper, went with my old man on Viking buses to goodison same day as Liverpool played Boro in the cup. He dragged several of 20 Derby fans off a scouser that came over the graveyard and was being hanged by his scarf. Closest mayhem I saw that day, all the coaches lined up off Stanley park and everyone filed out together. Knee high barely remember anything bar that and we lost.

Rest of the time in my late teens and early 20's I went all round the country and bar a bit of shouting and few animal noises, petty vandalism, it barely found me and I wouldn't have shirked it cornered.

Hooliganism over rated in my book, I'd rather have been shagging the birds of the blokes fighting personally.

The DLF was unheard of back in the 70's. As Ossie said it was early 80's when the name started being used. I remember huge letters made up of smashed seats spelling DLF in the middle of the pitch after a game at Shrewsbury in 81 or 82?

Travelling round the country, mostly by train in those days, could be a bit hairy at times (and that's just the feather cuts!) so you sort of gravitated toward the lads for protection, and to be honest, for the excitement and adrenaline rush. Sounds silly now but when you was in your late teens it was kind of cool to be part of the mob.

No regrets, it was part of growing up and I enjoyed every moment of it although we were never part of the DLF or any organised stuff. The chaotic, tribal warfare of the 70's was enough....You'll never take the Popside!

2 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

Yes. The seventies stuff was a  very different thing to how it was in the eighties. 

It was. You felt compelled to defend your ground against invading hordes. 1976, Man United fans invaded the pitch at the end of a game at the Baseball Ground. The police and stewards decided to let them on and tried to stop Derby fans from getting on instead.

All 4 sides of the ground saw lads racing onto the pitch to confront United. It weren't planned or organised, it was just mayhem. If you didn't want to get involved you could just leave the stadium.....thousands of us didn't though, it felt like you was defending your home ...hundreds were still fighting an hour after the final whistle in running battles in the streets.

I was talking to a chap in a pub a few years ago and he found out I supported Derby. He told me he used to go. He told me he used to be in the DLF.... Yeah Yeah I thought. He then told me he didn't support Derby he thought they were **** but he went because his mates at the time dragged him to the games for the aggro.

He used to be a bouncer at the Pink Coconut and is complete psychopath. I doubt many people would mess with him now even though he's in his 50's.

22 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

No regrets, it was part of growing up and I enjoyed every moment of it although we were never part of the DLF or any organised stuff. The chaotic, tribal warfare of the 70's was enough....You'll never take the Popside!

Rubbish. You should be ashamed.

And if you disagree, I'll meet you on Markeaton park in an hour :lol:

Archived