DLF

scarboroughwa

Come on , most of us around a certain age know that if you went home and away matches you almost had to be in or around the fringes or you got picked off , football was tribal back then if you were under 40 years old it was hard not to be at least semi involved in the agg

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, archied said:

Come on , most of us around a certain age know that if you went home and away matches you almost had to be in or around the fringes or you got picked off , football was tribal back then if you were under 40 years old it was hard not to be at least semi involved in the agg

Do you mean the violent minority made it difficult or those that didnt want trouble not to get caught up in it once it kicked off.

48 minutes ago, archied said:

Can honestly say that I never got into any bother, but I know what you mean. Like I said earlier, I would be close enough to the raucous ones to enjoy the atmosphere but far enough out of it to get into a fight. The closest I came was in Sheffield, can't remember if it was the cup or league game against United, but walking back to the train station after the game I ended up on the wrong side of the road. A bloke in his red and white scarf "advised" me to cross over to the other side "or he couldn't guarantee what might happen!"

52 minutes ago, archied said:

Spot on ,I used to go to matches in a white coat with a big ram on the back and all the players names on it .Not the sort of thing you can hide like a scarf.

Never went looking for trouble but I guess you can say it used to find me in my black and white coat .Never in the DLF as such but we all used to stick together especially away.

1 hour ago, archied said:

It was always useful to hang around in certain company - 'just in case'. Not too close to the front, but not too close to the back either.

You couldn't avoid it at certain grounds. I remember coming out of Oldhams ground once, they had just finished demolishing some of the houses around the ground and there was bricks and rubble flying in both directions outside and if you weren't dodging rubble, you fighting either Oldham fans or the police.

6 minutes ago, ossieram said:

You couldn't avoid it at certain grounds. I remember coming out of Oldhams ground once, they had just finished demolishing some of the houses around the ground and there was bricks and rubble flying in both directions outside and if you weren't dodging rubble, you fighting either Oldham fans or the police.

Oldham? Don't think they were demolishing the houses. That was after they did Oldham up.

Remember arsenal trying to take the popside when I was just a kid ,,, as I say it was hard not to be in and around it if you were the type who liked to be in with the singing and atmosphere you were in the parts of the ground where it kicked off like it or not 

There was this lad we always used to chat to we called him chinner because he used to go up to opposing fans and say do you want chinning.

Me and my cousin went to Spurs away one night and chinner was there nicking Tottenham scarf's and he was talking to us from time to time .

After the match the spurs fans came looking for him and of course us by association .Chinner  went in this shop doorway got a load of milk bottles and said run lads I'll hold em off and he did bless him . Last we saw of him was standing in the middle of the road throwing milk bottles at the opposition.

3 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

There was this lad we always used to chat to we called him chinner because he used to go up to opposing fans and say do you want chinning.

Me and my cousin went to Spurs away one night and chinner was there nicking Tottenham scarf's and he was talking to us from time to time .

After the match the spurs fans came looking for him and of course us by association .Chinner  went in this shop doorway got a load of milk bottles and said run lads I'll hold em off and he did bless him . Last we saw of him was standing in the middle of the road throwing milk bottles at the opposition.

Milk Cup?

46 minutes ago, ossieram said:

Yeah I remember at Preston same thing bricks going to and fro at the back of the stand .Started at half time as I recall 

2 hours ago, archied said:

I found it an absolute doddle not to be involved. Myself, my friends and loads of others. 

Don't know of ssa, not seen Kev Mach since the liecester play off final though ,,,the name chinner rings a bell though,, long time since I lived in newhall and stood on popside and ossie end

5 minutes ago, EastHertsRam said:

I remember a popular chant most games that went along the lines of "Ones going to get one's cranium calcitrated in"...or words to that effect, can't remember the exact words. ;)

One's copulating cranium calcitrated.

Also, "Harold Roberts esq. is our close acquaintence - he extinguishes Bow Street Runners."

Archived