Shotton to Birmingham

CornwallRam

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Ninos said:

He bided his time but that first game Albentosa played in a back 3 where Keogh was shifted to the right, he was fantastic as the centre back. He was telling people what to do, totally dominant in the air, and just seemed imperious back there. He made one wayward pass as I recall. Then boom, in typical fashion, he was dropped. Remember thinking at the time, that he was probably pulling his hair out, thinking why did they bring me in if they are sticking me on the bench after I play like that. Happens far too much at Derby - Blackman, Camara, etc etc. We go get a player then dump them on the bench and out of the match day squad. If we get a strong player you can wait a few games but once they play they need to keep playing. Otherwise don't get them. In the past year, players seem to get worse after we bring them in, and that needs to change. Shotton will be fantastic for Birmingham, you just watch.

The problem isn't that we sign players and drop them, the problem is we sign players who are either worse than we have already, or not suited to the way we are playing, and the dropping etc happens because of this.  Albentosa is a big, physical defender, but not great on the ball, so he didn't fit in with a quick passing side.  Shotton is pretty much in the same boat - quick and good in the air, but not good enough on the ball.  Blackman has only ever been effective on the right of a front 3, but we've already got an expensive senior player who plays there so he struggles to get in the team.  We haven't seen enough of Camara, but he looks like a 'get to the byline and cross it' type of winger, but we don't get players into the box that score from crosses, so there's no point playing him.

4 hours ago, duncanjwitham said:

The problem isn't that we sign players and drop them, the problem is we sign players who are either worse than we have already, or not suited to the way we are playing, and the dropping etc happens because of this.  Albentosa is a big, physical defender, but not great on the ball, so he didn't fit in with a quick passing side.  Shotton is pretty much in the same boat - quick and good in the air, but not good enough on the ball.  Blackman has only ever been effective on the right of a front 3, but we've already got an expensive senior player who plays there so he struggles to get in the team.  We haven't seen enough of Camara, but he looks like a 'get to the byline and cross it' type of winger, but we don't get players into the box that score from crosses, so there's no point playing him.

Sums up the problem with our transfer policy perfectly.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Birmingham City have spoken to Derby County about the possibility of Ryan Shotton returning to St Andrew's on a permanent basis, the Birmingham Mail understands.

The 27-year-old returned to the iPro at the end of last season having finished the campaign on loan with Blues.

Having recently appointed Nigel Pearson as their manager the Rams are currently assessing their squad which means they have first say on Shotton's immediate future.

However, if they decide the centre back is surplus to requirements it is understood Shotton would like to come back to Blues to work under Gary Rowett .

And it seems Blues are amenable too having contacted their Championship rivals about his availability. Shotton played nine times and scored once following his January move across the Midlands .

2c14a6db6136.jpg

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/birmingham-city-make-contact-championship-11443468?

5 minutes ago, Sammy1946 said:

Birmingham City have spoken to Derby County about the possibility of Ryan Shotton returning to St Andrew's on a permanent basis, the Birmingham Mail understands.

The 27-year-old returned to the iPro at the end of last season having finished the campaign on loan with Blues.

Having recently appointed Nigel Pearson as their manager the Rams are currently assessing their squad which means they have first say on Shotton's immediate future.

However, if they decide the centre back is surplus to requirements it is understood Shotton would like to come back to Blues to work under Gary Rowett .

And it seems Blues are amenable too having contacted their Championship rivals about his availability. Shotton played nine times and scored once following his January move across the Midlands .

2c14a6db6136.jpg

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/birmingham-city-make-contact-championship-11443468?

And some of you wanted Rowett as manager! :ph34r:

1 hour ago, richinspain said:

He can only work with what he has and that's within a tight budget at brum at the moment and although he is not good enough for us or probably any other top 5 side, he's certainly good enough for this league, depending on the aspirations of the club.

If he was derby manager and had a good kitty he wouldn't be interested in him.

Not Rowetts fault 

1 hour ago, mwram1973 said:

He can only work with what he has and that's within a tight budget at brum at the moment and although he is not good enough for us or probably any other top 5 side, he's certainly good enough for this league, depending on the aspirations of the club.

If he was derby manager and had a good kitty he wouldn't be interested in him.

Not Rowetts fault 

Shotton, just like Sammon, isn't nearly as bad as some on here make out. As you say, probably not good enough for where we want to be but not nearly as bad as all that. Have you seen my avatar? When I think that things couldn't get any worse I look at that photo and think how it could be!

3 hours ago, richinspain said:

Rowett obviously prefers what his eyes and instinct tells him, rather than a performance analysis unit(or variation of) tell him on such as number of passes completed etc. Just saying :ph34r:

I agree with the minority, I would keep Shotton he's not a favourite of mine but he's the best of a reserve bunch.He can be used anywhere across the back ,full back left n right or at centre back.Sell Pearce,Baird,Buxton,Albantossa and if rumours are right fozzy could be gone then he fits the bill.We have Rawson and Lowe pushing, we would need another to cover but think of the reduction in wages by releasing 5 to go and put towards a decent striker.He may be on a good wage but he may just be worth keeping.

Archived