Shotton to Birmingham

CornwallRam

Any figure in the ballpark we are supposedly getting is a good deal for a squad player in a position where we have a decent amount of cover. Moving him off the wage bill for a nominal fee would have done for me.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Rample said:

Any figure in the ballpark we are supposedly getting is a good deal for a squad player in a position where we have a decent amount of cover. Moving him off the wage bill for a nominal fee would have done for me.

Couldn't agree more and whilst good luck to him, it's a good deal for us if true.

That Shotton presumably enjoyed his loan and fancies his chances of regular football there, rather than again presumably staying and fighting for a place here under a new Manager, speaks volumes of the best for all concerned. The alternative would be an unsettled player, so anything Sam negotiated above as you say a nominal fee is a bonus for me.

5 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

Shotton to Birrmingham a done deal.

announcement by Birrmingham this afternoon! 

Undisclosed fee. If anyone knows the fee then please let me know

Thanks

Don't worry Nigel, Sam and Mel will tell you how much you have to spend in good time :lol:

1 minute ago, CastletonRam said:

Shotton was surplus to requirements. Rowett has gone down in my estimations for thinking he's worth signing. Came in as a utility player but never convinced in any position. 

He isn't that bad a player IMO liable to make a mistake as most defenders are. Birmingham last season were overachieving and are a mid table championship team he's not a bad signing for them. 

Played alongside Keogh you ended up with 2 central defenders prone to erraticism, which was never going to work.

A consistent pairing of Shackell/Shotton would have probably worked OK, and Shotton would come out of it regarded a little more highly than he is, but we never had a valid reason to try it out.

16 hours ago, ronnieronalde said:

The subject was closed, you were the one who resurrected it by tagging me in a comment which was at least slightly snidey, certainly a touch on the sarcy side.

Shotton hasn't got any younger and has hardly played, I understand the concept of transfer fees rising, just not usually for players who are rotting away in the "development squad" or sitting on the bench week in week out while getting older.

What do you think I'm looking to gain by posting that Shotton cost more than the "less than 500k" you think he cost or that Whitbread had a clause in his loan contract guaranteeing him his permanent move?

You say your own facts are based on common sense, the common sense that suggests Zak Whitbread didn't get his extra year cos it was pre agreed he got it cos he was superb, injury free and Mr Reliable during the 4 games he played? 

Common sense that suggests today the unwanted Shotton was sold to a Championship club for more than Derby paid for him when they wanted him and signed him from a Premier League club, he's somehow grown in value and Derby have made a profit on him, this despite not being wanted and after nearly two seasons of not playing, I personally don't see the common sense behind those facts of yours.

You don't believe me mate, fair enough. Lets just agree to let it lie. I thought we'd already agreed to disagree last time before you tagged me sarcastically today.

Last comment from me, explain how Connor Sammon went from £600k to £1.2m then.

2 hours ago, rynny said:

Last comment from me, explain how Connor Sammon went from £600k to £1.2m then.

There was a forgotten/ignored report from Scotland when Wigan bought Sammon which said the 600k was an initial fee which could rise to a million or so. 

My suspicion is that in all likelihood we took him from Wigan in a similar deal, but instead of it being reported as the initial figure it was reported as the full potential figure, which we're unlikely to have ever had to pay.

There's no way we actually paid double the money that Wigan did, not a chance.

1 minute ago, Cam the Ram said:

Goodbye sweet prince.

The last Derby player to throw a throw-in forwards leaves us.

27 minutes ago, Coconut said:

There was a forgotten/ignored report from Scotland when Wigan bought Sammon which said the 600k was an initial fee which could rise to a million or so. 

My suspicion is that in all likelihood we took him from Wigan in a similar deal, but instead of it being reported as the initial figure it was reported as the full potential figure, which we're unlikely to have ever had to pay.

There's no way we actually paid double the money that Wigan did, not a chance.

You would like to hope that but unfortunately these say differently. In fact the mail's report is makes sound even worse.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/19318598

Derby County have signed Wigan striker Conor Sammon on a four-year deal for a fee believed to be £1.2m.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1352342/Wigan-net-Kilmarnocks-Conor-Sammon.html

Wigan have signed Kilmarnock striker Conor Sammon for £450,000

4 minutes ago, David said:

This must mean no manager rates Buxton. 

Sorry. 

If you've seen it you will know.

I certainly have seen it. At least Buxton is in good company, no one has bid for Messi, Aguero or Lewandowski in recent months either. All 4 of them, rubbish! 

3 minutes ago, muzzamurray said:

i havent seen it david, care to explain?

In short: If no other team has bid for one of your players regardless of circumstances, the said player is a very bad player. This applies doubly if the player came from Burton and you are an Olympic grade troll from Nottingham.

Think that's it.  No need to thank me, but I have saved an hour of your life.

22 minutes ago, David said:

This must mean no manager rates Buxton. 

Sorry. 

If you've seen it you will know.

Also by the same logic because Stephen Bywater has signed a 1 year contract at Burton yet Burton have failed to make any bids for our keepers then OBVIOUSLY Bywater is better than all of them...

#LOGIC

Archived