How soon is TOO soon to judge Clement?

Mostyn6

I personally have tried hard to defend the club when there is mass hysteria following unlucky and bad results, as I believe there are mitigating factors, but there comes a time where the manager (or head coach) has to earn his money.

When is the time we say "hang on, he should be doing better"? I'm not quite sure that time is now, but it cannot be far off.

What I am struggling with is the amount of players that aren't playing what they'd consider their position.

• Russell, prefers the middle, plays on the Wing!
  • Ince, prefers the middle, plays on the Wing!
  • Blackman, prefers the middle, plays on the Wing!
  • Weimann, prefers the middle, plays on the Wing!

Three of those four are new signings, which makes it even more bizarre.

I am also struggling with being unable to justifiably say Clement is better than Nigel Clough. Whilst Clement got us flirting with the play-offs, he's had far better resources and support (from the Boardroom) than Nigel Clough did, and everyone knows my thoughts on Nigel as manager. He had a ceiling, and that was mid-table, and I'm getting that feeling again, about Clement.

When almost all of your team plays at 6/10 or less, there's something wrong. It appears nobody is confident, free, expressive or motivated enough to put in a 8 out of ten, let alone a storming 9 or 10!

We have had an occasional cameo from Ince and Martin this season. But aside of Butterfield and Warnock, the rest have flattered to deceive. Who is to blame? Or, in a blameless culture, who should be turning it around?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's a rookie manager in his first season at a club with very high expectations - he should get at least this season & most of next season before we can make a judgement on him. My biggest gripe with him has been the squad rotation for league games recently - I don't believe you can change 3/4 players game to game & maintain consistent performance - but coming straight from a League with a winter break, he may have had real concerns about players burning out.

As Mackworth Ram's excellent post on the match thread says, there are so many games left of this season. Hull & Brighton had a major dip recently and now seem back on track & Boro after being so impressive for so long, have now started dropping points. Watford, who were a worthy promotion side last season weren't even in the playoff positions this time last year.

I'd say wait until the end of the season and review then. Still plenty of time to turn things around and we may look back at this as just a blip. We all know how quickly confidence can return when we win a couple of games. 

This season there's been almost a whole rebuild at the club: a big change in personnel; players, management, backroom staff.

There's been a change in playing style that existing players weren't used to and new players have to buy into it.

Mistakes have been made in my opinion and the jury is out on several things; clement, the recruitment policy and the players themselves. It's easy to sit in the stands and say "he should be doing this, he should be doing that" but it's a lot harder to put into practice, especially in this league.

If this season just fizzles out then Clement will be under serious pressure next season and I'd expect some of these lessons to be learned. Until the end of the season though, I'd give him the time to try to sort it.

First real mistake in this series was not putting best team out at Leeds

Second real mistake was late change at Boro

Wrong tactics against Reading and Brum

Played well for 45, left the country. Not Clement's fault :D

ps Keogh was not comfortable in the mask

This season and maybe the first 15 games of next before I'll be asking for his head & even then only if we're outside the top 6.

He usually is spot on with his post match interviews, so it's not that he's in denial. He's a clever bloke and knows we've been poor & the first half last night was a big improvement. I hope we can be patient and I think he'll be fine.

Actually I'm maybe more disappointed at the lack of positive impcat from Kevin Phillips on the attacking side of things. If anything, we're going backwards there.

5 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

He has had 30 million to spend....I would be able to get Forest to win the league with 30 million. We should be totally running away with the league and giving him another year if we don't get promoted is madness. 

Yet someone who has been in football since 1996 cant do it?

You must be something special or do you go on football manager a little too much

It's still early to call it for me.  He's just over 7 months into his managerial career and this is his first real blip so he's got to show he's capable of geeing the squad and picking up results again.  I didn't get to see the game last night but from numerous reports it sounded like we were much better in the first half and having seen the goals it's quite obvious the defence, or more accurately our 2 centre halves, had one of those games.  At least there were signs he got a reaction out of the team after Brum.

I'd say the only real negative I have with him is his apparent negativity.  We've seen what can happen if this team are let of the leash (Wolves, Hull, to a certain degree QPR & Bristol) so I wish he'd just up the tempo slightly.  I know the one-touch stuff is a lot easier to do when players are confident but I sometimes feel we'd rather go with 5 passes between the back 4 instead of a risky 1 pass into Martin's feet. 

9 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

He has had 30 million to spend....I would be able to get Forest to win the league with 30 million. We should be totally running away with the league and giving him another year if we don't get promoted is madness. 

You've watched someone else's money being spent and are demanding promotion or else. Mel, having spent a fortune of his own money on the club said that promotion this season was not a requirement. If he can be patient, so can I.

I like him but probably wouldn't be too fussed if I woke up to the news he'd been sacked any time soon. We've lost the entertaining style we had under McClaren, half the team are a shadow of their old selves and the signings brought in, for the most part, have been unnecessary. I know it's not him who identifies the targets, but he gives the final say and has obviously agreed to the signings of players who just don't seem to fit our system. 

16 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Karanka at 'Boro

we are not the only club going through this , 3 of the biggest clubs in the country are testing their fans patience , man utd , chelsea and liverpool and im sure if boro lose their next game they will be screaming karankas clueless , we all have opinions , we all have first 11s , but the only opinion that matters is the managers and he will live or die by it . I think all we need at the moment is a win and it will all click back into place and the team and formation that gets that next win should , injury permitting start the next game after that .  too many rumours and slating of players and coaches is detriment to the club . Everybody dust yourself down , and lets start again next tuesday , the first of 18 cup finals , come on rams fans the club needs you more than ever . Derby till i die

1 minute ago, Cam the Ram said:

I like him but probably wouldn't be too fussed if I woke up to the news he'd been sacked any time soon. We've lost the entertaining style we had under McClaren, half the team are a shadow of their old selves and the signings brought in, for the most part, have been unnecessary. I know it's not him who identifies the targets, but he gives the final say and has obviously agreed to the signings of players who just don't seem to fit our system. 

Yeah, currently I'm indifferent. If we were to replace him tomorrow I'd wait for the power of hindsight before really reacting. If we change and get worse I'd be furious, change and improve I'd be happy. Same with choosing to stick with PC. If we continue this path and stop being competitive completely then I'll be furious, if we sort ourselves out I'll be happy. 

Right now I'm completely indifferent. Just football, **** happens.

Just now, SaintRam said:

Yeah, currently I'm indifferent. If we were to replace him tomorrow I'd wait for the power of hindsight before really reacting. If we change and get worse I'd be furious, change and improve I'd be happy. Same with choosing to stick with PC. If we continue this path and stop being competitive completely then I'll be furious, if we sort ourselves out I'll be happy. 

Right now I'm completely indifferent. Just football, **** happens.

Yep, I've always liked the idea of stability, but we've seen in recent seasons how a change of manager can suddenly inspire a team. I'd probably be a lot happier with Clement if we managed to maintain the entertaining style of recent seasons. Instead, we've got people like Thorne and Ince seemingly reluctant to express themselves like they used to. I'm not sure whether that's down to a lack of confidence in the players or the manager has told them to play it safe and keep possession.

8 minutes ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

I think it's hard to say who to put the blame on , but the recent form is worrying and considering the money spent I would of expected to be in a better position if you would of asked me at the start of the spending/ start of the season

It is not hard at all, the blame lies with those who authorised the purchase of players who are no better than those who were already on the payroll, also with the manager who selected the players to wear a DCFC shirt in recent games and the players who the manager selected for inept performances when wearing a DCFC shirt, albeit that some were asked to play in a position other than the one they preferred and, in which position, they may have had an improved performance.

I would not have persevered with Incey Wincey and The Worm Worrier last night, their form has gone to pot over the last few months, I would have bought a proper centre forward who could hold the ball and accurately pass to team-mates putting them into scoring positions if he was not himself.

Clement has spent most of his previous time at clubs where a large squad was the norm and where, at most of these, some players were paid exorbitant wages and were happy to sit on the nicely upholstered bench seats and rake in the cash, Derby County is a different kettle of fish and possibly the manager does not appreciate this.

Things/attitudes need to change in all areas if we are to maintain a presence in the top 6 and it is up to Clement to oversee this change, the sooner the better.

Are we continually improving? No

Has the money been spent wisely? Yes

Do we have a team capable of promotion? Must definitely so

Has the coach been given enough time to see if it is working? Yes

Things need to improve rather quickly or I would not be surprised come the Fulham game we have a new coach in place.

32 minutes ago, Daveo said:

I blame the fans, trying to judge a bloke 6 months into his first job as a manager/head coach and comparing him to Clough that has had how many years in football management now? No wonder we lost last night.

Didn't we lose last night as one of our players didn't realise what goal they were meant to be kicking into and another was practicing their beach volleyball techniques 

Archived