Mel is not happy (Alan Nixon rumour warning!)

Cam the Ram

The difference between Mel Morris and Fawaz/Cellino is their clubs are a shambles from top to bottom. We on the other hand have put in place everything a pro footballer could want and if Morris did have a pop, I still think it would be in support of the man he put in charge, not undermining him. 

Looks like I'll never agree with you on this one Alpha but I'd still buy you a pint mate.;)

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, curb said:

It's not about him being rich, it's about him owning the club, hence if he bought the club he could run it how he wants.

The other side of the coin is that just because he's in the public eye (because he's rich) people think they can criticise him and tell him what to do all they want.

How would you feel if someone came up to you and told you where you could go in your house and who you could talk to?

Does him owning the club stop people from having an opinion how he runs it?

If the people were stakeholders in my house, then I would welcome their feedback.

6 hours ago, Bob Loblaw said:

If (big if) Mel is going into the changing rooms, that's a huge worry for me. If it was Fawaz, everybody would be laughing at Forest. The football side has nothing to do with him, stay out of it. 

Mel is owner and chairman. derby have a leadership team of Mel, Paul and Sam which covers all matters. We know that Paul briefs most of the coaching staff on his decisions. Where is it written that owners do not have a say in footballing matters? If I was the owner and chairman, i certainly would. Here is £25 million worth of players, do what you like with them! Not going to happen if it was my money, mate.

30 minutes ago, EastHertsRam said:

The difference between Mel Morris and Fawaz/Cellino is their clubs are a shambles from top to bottom. We on the other hand have put in place everything a pro footballer could want and if Morris did have a pop, I still think it would be in support of the man he put in charge, not undermining him. 

Looks like I'll never agree with you on this one Alpha but I'd still buy you a pint mate.;)

Yeah man!! 

We can't all agree on everything! It's nice that we can disagree and not mock each other for our opinions. Could it catch on?

If we smash the vile Brummies tomorrow then i'll agree with you.

39 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

In his own words, he's not the owner merely the custodian. 

'Think of me as just another season ticket holder, albeit with a more expensive seat', is a line I remember from an early interview.

Maybe we should draw a ST holder every week to enter the dressing room and give feedback immediately after games?

Or Mel could just go in and boo for us.

8 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I'm looking forward to tomorrows thread 'Did we spank Brum thanks to Mel, or Clement?'.

Ha ha! If we smash those horrid lot then I want Mel in a tracksuit and pitch side for the rest of the season.

Of course if you beat Birmingham then you usually have a number of idiots trying to fight you. Tracksuit army

51 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Mel is owner and chairman. derby have a leadership team of Mel, Paul and Sam which covers all matters. We know that Paul briefs most of the coaching staff on his decisions. Where is it written that owners do not have a say in footballing matters? If I was the owner and chairman, i certainly would. Here is £25 million worth of players, do what you like with them! Not going to happen if it was my money, mate.

If he wants the best return on his investment, he should stay out of it. Give me an example of an owner meddling in team affairs and it ending well. I can give you plenty examples of the opposite.

9 minutes ago, Bob Loblaw said:

If he wants the best return on his investment, he should stay out of it. Give me an example of an owner meddling in team affairs and it ending well. I can give you plenty examples of the opposite.

We can review this in May, I think.

3 hours ago, eddie said:

I tend not to work in extremes. I don't know Mel Morris personally - the only football club chairman I knew on a personal level was George Hardy (and that worked out well, didn't it?) No idea if the picture that has been painted by some (i.e. a control freak) is true - equally I don't know whether his enthusiasm and exuberance just blinded him momentarily to the line that he has crossed.

Moderation in all things is my motto - for instance, take the reduction in the recommended maximum intake of alcohol we were told about only last week. I'm going to do my damnedest, more often than not, to keep within those proscribed 14 units per day.

Downgrading from quadruppel to trippel eddie? 

9 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Downgrading from quadruppel to trippel eddie? 

Last night, I didn't have a drink. Woke up feeling rough. I shan't make that mistake again.

14 minutes ago, Tombo said:

Told you we should hold back on the "Mel Morris - he's one of our own" crap.

I'm still on the guy's side as well, but clearly some of you change your mind like a creative writing student changes her hair colour.

Ooops. 

I feel your pain.

A seemingly fantastic scheme for local kids throughout the surrounding area has been launched today, giving thousands of local kids, and hundreds of local coaches the opportunity to tap into top level coaching and development at no cost, thanks to DCFC, and instead of talking about this we're focusing on the rights and wrongs of a owner entering the dressing room of his own team at the end of a match to give his feedback!

1 hour ago, Bob Loblaw said:

Not necessarily. You can do the right things and have a bad outcome. You can do the wrong things and have a good outcome. 

We should evaluate the behaviour, not the outcome.

So how does that work then if the outcome isn't the answer? Or is it if we don't get promoted? 

24 minutes ago, rynny said:

So how does that work then if the outcome isn't the answer? Or is it if we don't get promoted? 

No no, even less so if we don't get promoted. As we saw last season, so many factors can affect a promotion chase. 

Basically, my opinion of chairman getting involved in football matters won't change based on the outcome of this season. Unless there's clear evidence that was the cause.

It works by comparing it to what you expect from him.What sort of things you want the owner to be doing, what you don't want them to be doing.

Archived