Middlesbrough v Derby County

Day

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Bris Vegas said:

Just goes to emphasise the need to bring in a new winger. If we're pushing for the win and the best we can bring on is Weimann then that tells its own story.

Martin's lack of mobility is a problem against better defenders too. 

In Razza we trust! :ph34r:

6 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Don't think it works like that. Watford got battered by Bournemouth and Norwich last season. Ipswich did the double over them, Derby took four points off them.

Both teams will be completely different next year with different strategies.

Boro are a well-oiled Championship machine. But they'll soon realise in the Premier League that scoring first will become a lot harder and they look pretty toothless - like Derby - when falling behind.

Not really what I was getting at. We created not a jot, granted against a good team, but if Boro away is sandwiched between Spurs away and Arsenal home as it could and should be next season......... do we look short??

13 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Sadly it sounds as though my hopes that we would really turn up and give it a right go have come to naught. 

Saying that we are some way behind and should accept defeat to a team of similar premier league wannabees bolstered by a bit-part Uruguay international,  a premier league has-been /never was and a Leicester cast off has not improved my mood either.

Full inquest with ritual slaughter demanded. ..

Our only internationals play for the home nations, with the exception of Weimann who's a bit-part Austrian international. And if Stewart Downing is a Premier League has-been/never was, then what do you make of Warnock, Martin, Shackell, Ince, Thorne and Johnson? We hardly have an ex-Premier League All Stars XI.

No need to go overboard with praise for Boro, but the above post makes it sound like they should be easy meat.

1 minute ago, IronRam 70.3 said:

Not really what I was getting at. We created not a jot, granted against a good team, but if Boro away is sandwiched between Spurs away and Arsenal home as it could and should be next season......... do we look short??

Well today proves beyond reasonable doubt that if we were to get promoted, we would lose every single game.

32 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

Why on earth did Clement take off Butterfield and put on Weimann? We've spen all season being defensive and keeping clean sheets, a point would have been a fantastic result, yet we start throwing on strikers and end up getting overrun.  Utterly baffling.

Watched the stream and could see Butterfields slight surprise coming off. 

Clement to be fair just about admitted as much that we lacked a creative threat, yet could have settled for a point. Fair play to him team man-ing up about it.

8 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

I said this numerous times in our match day chat, but some of our fans demand we get rid of players and sign replacements rather than giving Clement the chance to get them fully understanding the way he wants them to play.

Not sure they have a coach for 3 seasons makes them better than us or promotion hopefuls - Bournemouth Watford and Norwich last season all had 1 season coach's?

3 minutes ago, IronRam 70.3 said:

Yes, but Boro look short too. If we go up, we'll strengthen.

That said, it's a different ball game up there and confidence plays a big factor. While we look short against Boro now, a Premier League fixture against them would be totally different.

By then I'd like to think we'd have a quality winger and more mobile striker in our ranks.

4 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Just goes to emphasise the need to bring in a new winger. If we're pushing for the win and the best we can bring on is Weimann then that tells its own story.

Agreed Martin isn't the most mobile of forwards, I think we recognise that but to get the best out of him we need runners close to him and we don't have players who do that often enough - this is where we really miss Bryson

5 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Said that for a while, we need a better winger, an actual winger. None of this "striker who can play out wide" business. Got enough of them.

Lost to a much better side, who were streets ahead of us. Worthy Champions unless they have a meltdown. Unlikely

One point ahead of Hull, with them to play at home.

Four points ahead of Brighton, who are fading

Six points ahead of Burnley

I would have settled for this after five games.

We may have got away with it as a draw that we did not deserve but Clement took off Butterfield and gave them the midfield. Martin could have been taken off at HT.

I think and said before this game that the Rams are tired and worse may be to follow.

What to do:-

Take the captaincy off Martin and give it to Shackell

Buy a proven goalscorer eg McCormack

Buy a winger who can cross the ball as his main skill.

Buy another fullback

No first team players against Hartlepool

Not going to pretend we were great but after 70 plus minutes we were well in the game and if anything we'd had the better attacks in the second period. Hendrick's run and poor shot springs to mind. Boro weren't getting the chances they'd created in the first half. It was very much a stalemate at that point. And I don't blame Clement for fancying all three points. But Weimann? Really? And to take off our most influential player in recent games, a matchwinner? Peculiar. As I say, from what I watched we were in the game. That change crippled us. We no longer had that extra bit of bite and defensive positioning alongside Johnson when defending. We opened up midfield for them, and Boro said thank you very much. 

If I was a neutral watching today I'd be saying Boro deserved to win on the strength of the opening half hour, when we were far too respectful and seemingly timid in playing our own game. But after that? We were much better and looked good for a point. So I won't join in on the Boro love-in. Yes they're obviously a quality side at this level and I'll eat my bowler hat if they don't win the league. But the way some describe events today I get the feeling they tore us apart throughout. They were better, they deserved the win. But we shot ourselves in the foot with a fairly shocking sub. 

I can't let this little summary pass without mentioning just how bad Martin was today. I've seen others knock him recently and been rather surprised at that. But today he was just as some keep describing him. Very poor for his standards. And I'll give Lee Grant my man of the match, great showing after the Leeds debacle. 

It's nowhere near the end of the world though. 

Onto the next one. It's a marathon not a snickers. :huh:

2 minutes ago, toddy said:

Not sure they have a coach for 3 seasons makes them better than us or promotion hopefuls - Bournemouth Watford and Norwich last season all had 1 season coach's?

Cam the Ram suggested it helps to have the same manager for a few seasons, to build a team, not that it was a prerequisite for promotion. To use examples of when teams have got promoted with new managers to disprove the original point employs some interesting logic.

3 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Yes, but Boro look short too. If we go up, we'll strengthen.

That said, it's a different ball game up there and confidence plays a big factor. While we look short against Boro now, a Premier League fixture against them would be totally different.

By then I'd like to think we'd have a quality winger and more mobile striker in our ranks.

Yes I suppose it would, I could have worded original post better tbf. It's no small job we potentially have on our hands eh?

5 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Our only internationals play for the home nations, with the exception of Weimann who's a bit-part Austrian international. And if Stewart Downing is a Premier League has-been/never was, then what do you make of Warnock, Martin, Shackell, Ince, Thorne and Johnson? We hardly have an ex-Premier League All Stars XI.

No need to go overboard with praise for Boro, but the above post makes it sound like they should be easy meat.

That was not what was intended. I see no material difference in the pedigree and thus potential of the squads. 

So if you will, it was frustration at all the "Boro - clearly the best team in the division" type comments. 

Maybe they have been playing much closerto their full potential than we have. But I am of the view we had the personnel to match them. Has-been for has-been if necessary. 

The fact we continually seem to come up short and have done so again is deeply annoying. And I don't buy that they will necessarily run away with it from here either. 

We lost to the best team in the league. They have conceded 2 goals at home all season (which is ridiculous) so always going to be difficult. 

3 defeats in 25 games is very very good. 

2nd in the league.

If any of us were offered this position we are in now, at the start of the season, we all would have taken it. We are in a great position. 

We need to strengthen in the final 3rd. We are lacking a pacy winger, right footed as well. We are crying out for one. We need a striker as well. Bent doesnt fit in this team and Martin is off it at the minute. 

Would love to see us sign Matt Phillips from QPR? Or maybe a cheeky loan bid for Demarai Grey now he has signed for Leicester?

We are lacking pace in our side imo. 

Archived