Middlesbrough v Derby County

Day

PistoldPete2

Yes I think we might be better with 4 in midfield against teams like boro who are strong in midfield. But with hughes Bryson and then thorne out injured we don't have that many options. Playing only 2 in midfield at the end does seem a bit mad, but I guess it was a gamble that went wrong. 

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, YorkshireRam said:

Agree reagrding Warnock and Russell but I felt Keogh was below par today. 

For their first goal, as soon as Adomah recieved he just stopped, hoping for an offside. Play to the whistle! It allowed Adomah time to place his shot, had Keogh hassled him, granted (no pun intended) he'd have still likely scored but there's that chance he might not have.

Occasional mistakes were scattered throughout his performance as well, one of our weaker players today, which isn't necessarily a criticism, just an observation.

Fair points, it wasn't his greatest display but I still thought he showed a lot more character and positivity than other players. For example the run and cross in the first half and that block in the second half. He launched himself at the ball. I know he slipped in the first half and chested it down into the path of Adomah at one point. But overall I still felt he showed more passion and desire than some of the other players. 

And the first goal for me, there were about 4 players that could have done a lot better in trying to stop that ball ending up at Adomahs feet. Shame in the end, didn't think Boro were miles ahead of us and a draw would probably have been fair. 

3 hours ago, Rammy1 said:

This is absolutely correct. Then we have a better balance. 

My other point is that we need to get to the byline and cross in. Take the man on instead of cutting back. We did that once yesterday from Russell. Christie have some balls and go for it

The only player to do this is Christie on numerous occasions.In fact it is so apparent that

he likes to go on the outside that it is predictable. The problem is that when he gets the ball

across there is usually just Martin in the box with 3or4 defenders around him,so Christie

has 2 choices,either hit it across and see it cleared and get criticised or pass it back keeping

possession and get criticised.

11 hours ago, The Arch Deacon said:

OK, I'll have a go! An impartial view from an interested outsider (hull city fan). Posted on here before and was at the game simply cos I have a mate who lives on Teeside and a regular Borough fan with a spare ticket, so watched it all unfold. I'll do it point by point! 

Firstly - MIddlesborough......what a sh***. ole! With ridiculous ground access and shocking parking facilities. It took us 2 hours to get away from the ground and Derby still hadn't turned up!!!!!....boom, boom!

Secondly - MIddlesborough....... What a good team, deserving of their table position, although we (hull) took them to pieces for reasons I will explain below. Also, very vocal support from borough, why however not week in week out?????

3. It was clear after 15/20 minutes what the problem was. And your coach should have had the nouse to have changed the formation. The full backs had your wingers in their pockets. Both were too quick and too good. Neither, and particularly Ince ( and he had the same problem with us ) are natural wingers. So they both continuously stepped inside rather than attempt to take them on the outside!, so Martin never really had one cross in regular play to attack with his head (his strong point I'm told). Boro were ready for this and dealt comfortably with both "wingers"

4. This constant stepping inside left both wide midfielders largely surplus to requirements going forward, although defensively, things seemed to be largely under control until the first substitution. For me, the change should have been to take off Martin and Russel (neither are prem or top end Championship footballers, although both worked very hard), condense the midfield and over run them. There was far too much distance between the 3 midfielders. Very disjointed. 

5. The answer was to put Ince up top. 2 holding midfielders (Thorne, Johnson) Hendrick RM, Weimann LM??? and Butterfield in behind Ince. I'm a big fan Butterfield, and can't understand why a genuinely talented and 2 footed midfielder is played out of centre. Plus he has a screamer of a shot from the edge of the box (as we found out twice) but is not often enough in position to use it.

6. Ince is a crap winger, but has the pace that Martin hasn't. Martin is decent at holding the ball up, but at no time did he lose his marker and turn them to face their own goal. Ince could have run the channels at least to test the centre backs.

7. When playing good teams, this 5 man midfield is the option. We use it frequently and it gives sustained periods of possession as well as the option to let the full-backs bomb on ( assisted by the 2 holdings mids) 

8. Your travelling support was large in number but quiet of voice. You have a part to play if you want auto promo. And who was the tw*t in the sheep suit and boot polished face?????..........seriously?????.....come on. Although I'm sure you're all now looking for a picture of a total cock in a tiger costume and an orange face pouncing around at the KC stadium.

9. Finally, I've read far too much mutual admiration going on between you too. Ignore Hull at your peril. Remember we destroyed Boro with the same 5 man midfield described above, and more recently Burnley. We lost to Derby to 2 great strikes from the edge of the box by Butterfield oprerating centrally at the time!!!' But for 60 of the 90 minutes we were well on top. We've had our bad patch and injury issues, now behind us. Boro yet to have theirs. My prediction, hull and Derby to go up automatically. Boro via the play-offs. At least I hope so......I've got money on it!!!!! 

Thanks very much Arch Deacon. A well written and largely unbiased account. Keep in touch on here as the season unfolds. I agree very largely with what you say but our fans are some of the best in the league and Martin and Russell on their day are top end performers in the Championship. Boro are a much more disciplined team than either Hull or Derby. They are less likely to have a bad patch. Hull are nothing like as secure without Dawson. I think that we need four new players at Derby which should tip the balance, hopefully. I agree entirely about our lack of wingers. When Martin does not get the ball we struggle. I am not sure that Burnley will keep up with the pace but I would not want them in the Play Offs. Boro are the best side and only major injuries to key players can derail them. All the best to Hull, both my sons went to University there. May the best two teams get automatic promotion.

Surprised at the call for pace and crossing. We've got pace, Weimann, Russell, Ince, Cyrus...

Martin isn't anything special in the air. He's not an especially great mover either. That's why he's been so successful playing into his feet. He's not Steve Howard. 

What would we do with faster players than Weimann and Russell? 

On ‎03‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 16:53, Alpha said:

Surprised at the call for pace and crossing. We've got pace, Weimann, Russell, Ince, Cyrus...

Martin isn't anything special in the air. He's not an especially great mover either. That's why he's been so successful playing into his feet. He's not Steve Howard. 

What would we do with faster players than Weimann and Russell? 

Er in Weimanns case find someone who can actually play.

Had a couple of nights in Scarborough after the game, so me delayed thoughts are...

We played reasonably well for 75-80 minutes, They are the best team in the league, on top form and we restricted them to 2 chances in the box, whilst creating a chance or two ourselves. Our only two problems were Johnson constantly losing possession and Ince refusing (or being told not to) to chase back to mark Friend. Every dangerous Boro attack in the first half came through Friend,

Despite these issues our defensive organisation looked to be taking us to a 0-0 until Clement decided to try and win the game. Boro immediately took control and we were pegged back in our box.

we've all seen the goals, so it goes without saying that Christie (and to some extent Weimann) are at fault for the first and the linesman is at fault for the second.

It only becomes a significant result if we don't beat Reading on the 12th.

Archived