Middlesbrough v Derby County

Day

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got back from Boro, frustrating to lose. I thought 0-0 was a pretty fair result tbh. Main difference I noticed between the sides was that we made 3 or 4 silly errors which led to good opportunities for them whereas I don't think they made one all game. They are by far the best organised / defensive team in this league. It was nice to see clement go for it even if it didn't work out. Their second goal was a bit lucky and their first seemed far too easy.

Overall we won't play a better team this season, I cannot see how they won't win it. I'll take second anyway.

Side note, saw keogh by himself in a service station after the game randomly. 

Also, Stephen Warnock, Keogh and Russell were excellent. 

I didn't think we played that badly. But for Clement's failed gamble (for which I applaud him!) we would have more than likely come away with a point. 

Having said that, Boro are the best side in the division and I'll be amazed if they don't win it now. They are, for my money, in a league of their own and head and shoulders above everyone else. This will be their season.

The good news for us is that we are probably the best of the rest. Hull can match us on their day but don't appear to be quite as consistent and are prone to freak results. Other than that, I haven't seen anything else to be overly concerned about provided we play to our potential and don't incur a shed load of injuries we should be a good bet for 2nd...

Boro fan here people. I think we witnessed the championships top two at the end of the season today. Great atmosphere created by both sets of fans. I think you lot have got some really gifted players and losing Thorne didn't help. What i really was surprised at is the lack of interest shown by Tom Ince the boy has bags of ability in my eyes but he seemed like he didn't fancy it when the going got tough. It's taken karanka a while to put his philosophy in place and whilst we are not always easy on the eye we are effiective. I'm sure clement will do the same and we will be meeting again next season good luck! 

4 hours ago, Rampage said:

Would anyone like to summarise our tactics today? Serious question.

4 hours ago, Rampage said:

Would anyone like to summarise our tactics today? Serious question.

OK, I'll have a go! An impartial view from an interested outsider (hull city fan). Posted on here before and was at the game simply cos I have a mate who lives on Teeside and a regular Borough fan with a spare ticket, so watched it all unfold. I'll do it point by point! 

Firstly - MIddlesborough......what a sh***. ole! With ridiculous ground access and shocking parking facilities. It took us 2 hours to get away from the ground and Derby still hadn't turned up!!!!!....boom, boom!

Secondly - MIddlesborough....... What a good team, deserving of their table position, although we (hull) took them to pieces for reasons I will explain below. Also, very vocal support from borough, why however not week in week out?????

3. It was clear after 15/20 minutes what the problem was. And your coach should have had the nouse to have changed the formation. The full backs had your wingers in their pockets. Both were too quick and too good. Neither, and particularly Ince ( and he had the same problem with us ) are natural wingers. So they both continuously stepped inside rather than attempt to take them on the outside!, so Martin never really had one cross in regular play to attack with his head (his strong point I'm told). Boro were ready for this and dealt comfortably with both "wingers"

4. This constant stepping inside left both wide midfielders largely surplus to requirements going forward, although defensively, things seemed to be largely under control until the first substitution. For me, the change should have been to take off Martin and Russel (neither are prem or top end Championship footballers, although both worked very hard), condense the midfield and over run them. There was far too much distance between the 3 midfielders. Very disjointed. 

5. The answer was to put Ince up top. 2 holding midfielders (Thorne, Johnson) Hendrick RM, Weimann LM??? and Butterfield in behind Ince. I'm a big fan Butterfield, and can't understand why a genuinely talented and 2 footed midfielder is played out of centre. Plus he has a screamer of a shot from the edge of the box (as we found out twice) but is not often enough in position to use it.

6. Ince is a crap winger, but has the pace that Martin hasn't. Martin is decent at holding the ball up, but at no time did he lose his marker and turn them to face their own goal. Ince could have run the channels at least to test the centre backs.

7. When playing good teams, this 5 man midfield is the option. We use it frequently and it gives sustained periods of possession as well as the option to let the full-backs bomb on ( assisted by the 2 holdings mids) 

8. Your travelling support was large in number but quiet of voice. You have a part to play if you want auto promo. And who was the tw*t in the sheep suit and boot polished face?????..........seriously?????.....come on. Although I'm sure you're all now looking for a picture of a total cock in a tiger costume and an orange face pouncing around at the KC stadium.

9. Finally, I've read far too much mutual admiration going on between you too. Ignore Hull at your peril. Remember we destroyed Boro with the same 5 man midfield described above, and more recently Burnley. We lost to Derby to 2 great strikes from the edge of the box by Butterfield oprerating centrally at the time!!!' But for 60 of the 90 minutes we were well on top. We've had our bad patch and injury issues, now behind us. Boro yet to have theirs. My prediction, hull and Derby to go up automatically. Boro via the play-offs. At least I hope so......I've got money on it!!!!! 

1 hour ago, Ramos said:

Just got back from Boro, frustrating to lose. I thought 0-0 was a pretty fair result tbh. Main difference I noticed between the sides was that we made 3 or 4 silly errors which led to good opportunities for them whereas I don't think they made one all game. They are by far the best organised / defensive team in this league. It was nice to see clement go for it even if it didn't work out. Their second goal was a bit lucky and their first seemed far too easy.

Overall we won't play a better team this season, I cannot see how they won't win it. I'll take second anyway.

Side note, saw keogh by himself in a service station after the game randomly. 

Also, Stephen Warnock, Keogh and Russell were excellent

Agree reagrding Warnock and Russell but I felt Keogh was below par today. 

For their first goal, as soon as Adomah recieved he just stopped, hoping for an offside. Play to the whistle! It allowed Adomah time to place his shot, had Keogh hassled him, granted (no pun intended) he'd have still likely scored but there's that chance he might not have.

Occasional mistakes were scattered throughout his performance as well, one of our weaker players today, which isn't necessarily a criticism, just an observation.

1 hour ago, The Arch Deacon said:

OK, I'll have a go! An impartial view from an interested outsider (hull city fan). Posted on here before and was at the game simply cos I have a mate who lives on Teeside and a regular Borough fan with a spare ticket, so watched it all unfold. I'll do it point by point! 

Firstly - MIddlesborough......what a sh***. ole! With ridiculous ground access and shocking parking facilities. It took us 2 hours to get away from the ground and Derby still hadn't turned up!!!!!....boom, boom!

Secondly - MIddlesborough....... What a good team, deserving of their table position, although we (hull) took them to pieces for reasons I will explain below. Also, very vocal support from borough, why however not week in week out?????

3. It was clear after 15/20 minutes what the problem was. And your coach should have had the nouse to have changed the formation. The full backs had your wingers in their pockets. Both were too quick and too good. Neither, and particularly Ince ( and he had the same problem with us ) are natural wingers. So they both continuously stepped inside rather than attempt to take them on the outside!, so Martin never really had one cross in regular play to attack with his head (his strong point I'm told). Boro were ready for this and dealt comfortably with both "wingers"

4. This constant stepping inside left both wide midfielders largely surplus to requirements going forward, although defensively, things seemed to be largely under control until the first substitution. For me, the change should have been to take off Martin and Russel (neither are prem or top end Championship footballers, although both worked very hard), condense the midfield and over run them. There was far too much distance between the 3 midfielders. Very disjointed. 

5. The answer was to put Ince up top. 2 holding midfielders (Thorne, Johnson) Hendrick RM, Weimann LM??? and Butterfield in behind Ince. I'm a big fan Butterfield, and can't understand why a genuinely talented and 2 footed midfielder is played out of centre. Plus he has a screamer of a shot from the edge of the box (as we found out twice) but is not often enough in position to use it.

6. Ince is a crap winger, but has the pace that Martin hasn't. Martin is decent at holding the ball up, but at no time did he lose his marker and turn them to face their own goal. Ince could have run the channels at least to test the centre backs.

7. When playing good teams, this 5 man midfield is the option. We use it frequently and it gives sustained periods of possession as well as the option to let the full-backs bomb on ( assisted by the 2 holdings mids) 

8. Your travelling support was large in number but quiet of voice. You have a part to play if you want auto promo. And who was the tw*t in the sheep suit and boot polished face?????..........seriously?????.....come on. Although I'm sure you're all now looking for a picture of a total cock in a tiger costume and an orange face pouncing around at the KC stadium.

9. Finally, I've read far too much mutual admiration going on between you too. Ignore Hull at your peril. Remember we destroyed Boro with the same 5 man midfield described above, and more recently Burnley. We lost to Derby to 2 great strikes from the edge of the box by Butterfield oprerating centrally at the time!!!' But for 60 of the 90 minutes we were well on top. We've had our bad patch and injury issues, now behind us. Boro yet to have theirs. My prediction, hull and Derby to go up automatically. Boro via the play-offs. At least I hope so......I've got money on it!!!!! 

That's a nice summary, great depth.

Only thing I'd say is you shouldn't really over-analyse. It was one game. What we've done so far has worked out pretty well - two defeats in 20 isn't too shabby and we've had a run of tough away games.

But you're right. We lack a bit of quality in certain areas of the team, especially out in wide areas. Our left-side of Warnock/Weimann is probably midtable standard at best.

Luckily though, we won't be facing a team of Boro's quality every week. There are enough duff teams out there for us to beat and hold our position in the top two.

I look at Hull and probably see more quality, but for some reason your away form isn't the best and that could be your downfall come the end of the season. 

As for our game. Of course you were on top for 60 minutes. We were 0-2 up away from home after 30 mins, we were confident that would be enough and allowed Hull to play attack vs defence.

I'll be amazed if Boro don't win the league. As for the next automatic spot, surely between Hull/Derby/Burnley. 

Fine appraisal Mr Arch Deacon. Time to take a reality check and start offloading last years' stars and building a side that can avoid the sort of humiliation which befell the 2007-8 team. Tough to attract quality players to Derby as Billy 'Dainty' Davies opined two weeks before the season started in 2007. Great league though this year, especially when you consider the reality of going up and a relegation dogfight for nine months...

12 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

That's a nice summary, great depth.

Only thing I'd say is you shouldn't really over-analyse. It was one game. What we've done so far has worked out pretty well - two defeats in 20 isn't too shabby and we've had a run of tough away games.

But you're right. We lack a bit of quality in certain areas of the team, especially out in wide areas. Our left-side of Warnock/Weimann is probably midtable standard at best.

Luckily though, we won't be facing a team of Boro's quality every week. There are enough duff teams out there for us to beat and hold our position in the top two.

I look at Hull and probably see more quality, but for some reason your away form isn't the best and that could be your downfall come the end of the season. 

As for our game. Of course you were on top for 60 minutes. We were 0-2 up away from home after 30 mins, we were confident that would be enough and allowed Hull to play attack vs defence.

I'll be amazed if Boro don't win the league. As for the next automatic spot, surely between Hull/Derby/Burnley. 

No over analysis intended. Just a genuine appraisal on what I think went on based on what I watched from an impartial perspective. I like Derby both as a club and as a team. They were a big 70's club in my formative years and great history. Plus a big rival of Leeds who I've alwys hated when we were wallowing in the lower leagues. So any enemy of theirs is a friend of mine! I think Derby are close to the finished article this season. But today was a reminder that  without a quick potent striker you'll struggle against better teams with better defences. Take your point about your win at ours. At 2 nil up it was job done. But it still says something about us that as good as you are throughout your team we still looked the better side for most of it. Nevertheless, your win was well deserved. But don't forget we mullered both Boro and Burnley, both well fancied. The tactics were wrong today. He should have changed it after 20 minutes. A packed midfield was the answer. Personally, I'll be amazed if Boro do win the league. Good, but made to look unbeatable today by a lacklustre performance. I still say it's us and you. Long way to go, we'll see!

24 minutes ago, peartreecres said:

Fine appraisal Mr Arch Deacon. Time to take a reality check and start offloading last years' stars and building a side that can avoid the sort of humiliation which befell the 2007-8 team. Tough to attract quality players to Derby as Billy 'Dainty' Davies opined two weeks before the season started in 2007. Great league though this year, especially when you consider the reality of going up and a relegation dogfight for nine months...

I'm not having it that Derby would struggle to attract good players. For me, it's the biggest club in the division by a fair way. Best supported and great history. I reckon the likes of Johnson and Butterfield had more options than Derby in the summer, but clearly your owner wants success and fast. He should throw all he has at a worldy striker. I reckon all other areas are pretty well covered, particularly as injuries clear up.

7 hours ago, The Arch Deacon said:

I have often said on this forum that occasionally in away games we should play 4-4-2 using our strength in midfield. The two winger approach isnt working at the moment. It has become too predictable, particularly as neither winger has the confidence to take on the full back and attack the byline.

This would allow Ince to play alongside Martin in his preferred position. However, if Martin doesn't buck his ideas up, he won't be our first choice. He would benefit from the extra mifield man as it would give him more to play wall passes to.

Boro fan...another sorry guys, your game very mutch resembles ours in many ways and even reading through these thread is mirroring our own threads on our forum. I am a season ticket holder and while I was vert excited about the game yesterday I was also apprehensive, you do have a very capable team.

I really didn't see a lot between us yesterday to be honest, up until the first goal I thought you were very likely to grab yourselves an away point or even three, you seemed more likely to score coming down your left side and had a couple of decent chances to create the opening  goal...which would have changed the game...I think the biggest difference between us yesterday was home advantage.

I have read some of the posts about you not having the quality or pace through the team...well after our hull defeat our fans were saying the same things and we went on a great run after that game which stands at winning nine out of ten so far.

I don't think you can really read to much into that game yesterday other than we now have a slight advantage...I am not taking anything for granted and its nice to see your fans being just as realistic, it' only just past half way and there will be twists and turns...I think your team is very decent and although it will be tough, your run of results up to yesterday suggests you have every right to remain as one of the favourites for promotion..I am sure you will win your next two home games while we try to take points from two always...not so easy.

Hope it's us and you guys..ps to the Derbyshire fans who walked with me from Costa to the riverside hope you had a safe journey home..nice to meet you and sorry I didn't catch your name.

High standard Championship game and in the end better won. Their first goal was game's only moment of brilliance, helped by WhyWhy's poor clearance, Keogh's poor positioning and Christie's little nap. Hat's off, it was a quality goal (which wouldn't happened if Thorne would've been playing....:ph34r:)

Grant gave us opportunity to get a draw, but it wasn't to be. Friend, Ayala and Clayton are surely ready to PL, head and shoulders above the rest.

Most entertaining thing for me was Russell vs Nsue battle. I don't think I've seen such coast to coast tussle between individuals before.

Just now, Anag Ram said:

I have often said on this forum that occasionally in away games we should play 4-4-2 using our strength in midfield. The two winger approach isnt working at the moment. It has become too predictable, particularly as neither winger has the confidence to take on the full back and attack the byline.

This would allow Ince to play alongside Martin in his preferred position. However, if Martin doesn't buck his ideas up, he won't be our first choice. He would benefit from the extra mifield man as it would give him more to play wall passes to.

This is absolutely correct. Then we have a better balance. 

My other point is that we need to get to the byline and cross in. Take the man on instead of cutting back. We did that once yesterday from Russell. Christie have some balls and go for it

I'm pretty sure Clement would prefer 4-4-2. Otherwise why would we sign such players as we did and played pre-season wih different variations of 4-4-2? Team just wasn't ready for the change and we had to go back to old system.

Interesting to see what happens in January. It would be risky to change tactic radically mid season, but transfer window is open...

Archived