Middlesbrough v Derby County

Day

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm failing to get too upset. I expect to lose the game, and it doesn't really change a thing. We go again next game and try and win that. Just stay above Hull, and whilst I don't expect it, Boro could lose their next game... Then what? Doesn't matter how you get the points come May. 

Just now, Cam the Ram said:

Steady on Rampage. It was a fairly even game (they probably shaded it) up until Clement made a poor tactical change that he's now admitted was a mistake. I wouldn't expect us to go to Boro and absolutely boss the game. Better than us? For now yes, but streets ahead? Wouldn't go that far.

Could be seven points adrift when they play Blackburn. I cannot see then fading as they will probably get even better players in the window. If we get 90 points, they still may get 100 points. They have 52 points from 24 games so they need 48 points from 22 matches, possible by their standards, Cam

4 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

Steady on Rampage. It was a fairly even game (they probably shaded it) up until Clement made a poor tactical change that he's now admitted was a mistake. I wouldn't expect us to go to Boro and absolutely boss the game. Better than us? For now yes, but streets ahead? Wouldn't go that far.

I think regardless of the change, they would of nicked it. Obviously, we'll never know, but I felt the game was going that way. From what I've seen from Boro today, and on Sky against Wednesday and Brighton, they are a far better side. 

Just now, Rampage said:

Could be seven points adrift when they play Blackburn. I cannot see then fading as they will probably get even better players in the window. If we get 90 points, they still may get 100 points. They have 52 points from 24 games so they need 48 points from 22 matches, possible by their standards, Cam

And? How many are Hull, Burnley and Brighton gonna get?

Only listened to it on RD, but it seems Martin didn't get a sniff of a free kick all afternoon. We all know  he can 'go down easy', but anyone who saw the game think he should've stood a bit stronger, or was he genuinely fouled? Either way, seems that his old tricks aren't working anymore.

I've not too much to say about that really. The result wasn't unexpected. I thought we might get out with a draw as we were defending much better in the second half. We created very little ourselves though. Martin was very disappointing whilst both Hendrick and Ince were infuriatingly wasteful when given the rare opportunity to run at the Boro defence. Russell was our only forward who created anything during the entire game.

I though Christie defended very well. You don't get many tougher tests at this level than having to deal with both Friend and Adomah for 90 minutes. Marvelous save by Grant in the first half from Friend. Big blow losing Thorne so early in such an important game. Hopefully this niggle will not turn into something more serious. I believe Eustace is still available if it does.:whistle:

3 minutes ago, Rampage said:

We were 9 points behind Brighton after 6 games and now we're above sat 4 points above them. Yes 7 points is a big gap to catch up, but it's possible. Boro lost 3-0 to Hull and have lost to Bristol City, so whilst they've a very strong team, they can still have off days. People always say, "Teams try harder against Derby because we're a scalp." Maybe teams will try even harder against Boro because they're a big scalp too? 

So the best team in the division are a few points better off than us. Not the end of the world by any stretch and there's still room for new players during this window and more cohesion from the current squad too.  I'd like a fleet-footed winger with a cross on him and a strong frontman. Will Hughes will be like a new signing when he returns in February and he can provide options in the final 3rd where our final pass too often lets us down.

Lets just hope George is healthy again swiftly and Mel has got his cheque book at the ready.

7 minutes ago, North_Stand_Ram said:

I think regardless of the change, they would of nicked it. Obviously, we'll never know, but I felt the game was going that way. From what I've seen from Boro today, and on Sky against Wednesday and Brighton, they are a far better side. 

I have a theory (most likely wrong), that Clement had planned before the game to bring Weimann on if we were drawing at 70ish minutes. Obviously he wasn't to know Thorne would get injured. A 4-2-3-1 with Johnson and Thorne as the holding mids is a lot better than a 4-2-3-1 with Hendrick and Johnson holding. If Thorne was still on maybe we could have held strong and it finish 0-0, who knows. So whilst they were the better team, I wouldn't describe them as streets ahead.

1 hour ago, IronRam 70.3 said:

If that was a smidge tough to take, remember that in the PL we'd consider Boro one of the easiest games of the season on paper.  How far short are we realistically? Manpower wise.

Pretty sure the teams would have a few new player (+ Hughes back) in the PL if that happens.

13 minutes ago, Stripperg-ram said:

Only listened to it on RD, but it seems Martin didn't get a sniff of a free kick all afternoon. We all know  he can 'go down easy', but anyone who saw the game think he should've stood a bit stronger, or was he genuinely fouled? Either way, seems that his old tricks aren't working anymore.

He had a tough time against 2 imposing defenders, and yes he might have got a couple of free kicks. He got little in the way of support to be fair, and fed mostly on scraps.  However, he was pretty static throughout the game, and disappointingly his control/passing was abysmal. He is not on it at the moment and I would be astonished if we didn't endeavour to buy or loan a new striker this month.  

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

Every team will have a moment when they just don't really turn up. Hull beat Boro 3-0, we beat Hull 2-0, Boro beat us 2-0...

If there is any consolation, we've now played Boro, Hull, Ipswich and Wednesday away from home. With Burnley later in the month, we'd have played all the tougher away games before February.

If we're still top two by then... We'll be alright.

Plus we got a very good 7points from these.

Archived