Depression, anxiety, stress and other related issues

Mostyn6

Just now, i-Ram said:

Hope all goes well tomorrow Paul. Anxiety is understandable all things considered.  Don’t get worrying about posting rubbish on here tonight either. I really doubt anyone will notice any discernible change in your posting quality.

Cheers, I think. :D

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

My first day back at work tomorrow having been off for 2 months. 

Have felt the anti depressants have been working but getting real feelings of anxiety right now, almost like having pins and needles all over.

Trying to take my mind off it so will probably post some rubbish on here, hopefully I won't offend anyone, if I do apologies in advance.

Good luck :thumbsup:

4 hours ago, Paul71 said:

My first day back at work tomorrow having been off for 2 months. 

Have felt the anti depressants have been working but getting real feelings of anxiety right now, almost like having pins and needles all over.

Trying to take my mind off it so will probably post some rubbish on here, hopefully I won't offend anyone, if I do apologies in advance.

If it makes you feel any better I'm the same and I've only been off since Friday! 

Had a pretty rough second half of last year. A very rough December. Burnt a lot of bridges. I put it down to slowing down the amount of alcohol I was drinking, which is the best thing I've found at suppressing my anxiety - other than THC, but that's not easy to get hold of in the UK. Also suppresses my stammer, which is helpful.

Picking up again now. 

Work's starting to improve, now in management training which is a bit bizarre looking back on my general state of being for a few years.

Derby's upturn in form has also increased my tolerance for you lot, and the additional social environment helps immensely.

Hope everyone else has come through the end of 2017 unscathed, I know it can be rough for many. 

As always, I'm free to talk on a more individual level on mental health whenever. Just PM me. I'm fairly experienced with the whole shabang, including the medication if anyone has any concerns about starting on some.

• 2 weeks later...

Struggling again. Anxiety taking over. Self confidence at an all time low. Strange isn't it how people can tell you every day how valued you are and how good you are, but I just can't take it as praise. Have to turn it into a negative.

Feeling I have to hide it from SLT at work is horrible too.

Teaching is hard enough, without having this mental monkey on my back every minute. So very tiring.

Just when you think its gone it comes back bigger than ever.

Shakes, nerves, nausea, headaches. Just getting to the end of the day, end of the week, end of the term, end of the year.

16 minutes ago, KBB said:

Struggling again. Anxiety taking over. Self confidence at an all time low. Strange isn't it how people can tell you every day how valued you are and how good you are, but I just can't take it as praise. Have to turn it into a negative.

Feeling I have to hide it from SLT at work is horrible too.

Teaching is hard enough, without having this mental monkey on my back every minute. So very tiring.

Just when you think its gone it comes back bigger than ever.

Shakes, nerves, nausea, headaches. Just getting to the end of the day, end of the week, end of the term, end of the year.

I am sure you have tried certain things so forgive me if I am teaching you to suck eggs or stating the obvious .Firstly you have to start to take positives from your daily life ,if something appears negative ask why it might be so and try to turn it around .Let's face it, short of you or someone closest to you having a major mishap anything else is irrelevant or fixable ,honest. 

If you get the shakes /nerves try cupping your hand over your nose and mouth and take deep breaths it regulates the carbon dioxide levels in your blood .

When you are having a good spell ask yourself why you feel different ,try to hang on to the feeling of wellbeing, easier said than done but you can replicate it .

As I say not trying to reinvent the wheel hope it helps.

20 minutes ago, KBB said:

All sound advice. Thanks mate. Just trying to keep my head above water at the moment. Things are getting on top of me and dragging me down. I can feel it coming.

I can only echo what @King Kevin

has said.

Is it possible for you to cut your hours at work or take some time off,if you need a break mate it’s better now rather than when you’re unable to do anything.

When times are tough here I try and just do the basics and do them as well as I can.By the basics for me it would be up at a set time,dogs a good walk,sort the boys for school,sort my eldest,gym,food or any household stuff.

If I’m working I just go and be as happy as I can,do it to the best of my ability and don’t even entertain anyone who whinges or moans or is negative.

Try and do everything a bit better every time you do it.

I know that’s not great advice when you feel like ****.

All the best mate,I know it’s horrible.

3 hours ago, KBB said:

Things are getting on top of me and dragging me down. I can feel it coming.

Just get out of teaching before it makes you really ill. You don’t realise how much damage you’re doing yourself by forcing yourself to carry on when it’s making you feel like that.

I carried on until I started getting migraines every week. Eventually I went to the doctor, who signed me off for six months. That was three years ago... I never went back. Once I stopped I completely collapsed; I hardly left the house for the first three months. 

I doesn’t matter what noises people make, if you don’t feel supported then you’re not being, at least not in the way that is right for you. We had a new department head, and within one year three of us had gone off with long term stress conditions and a further seven resigned or took early retirement. 

The pressure is immense and the whole system is absurd, in my opinion. You mustn’t feel that it is your individual weakness that is making you struggle, it is actually the ones who are strong enough to keep going when the situation is awful  who end up suffering like this. 

I have several friends who have been through it, got out of teaching and never looked back. I know it seems impossible when you rely on your salary, but there’s always a way and nothing is more important than your health. 

On 14/01/2018 at 19:17, Paul71 said:

Good idea, I've got my profile pic sorted.

99f10ebb43f35111df79355cb12602fd-fat-girl-in-hooters-uniform-pole-dances-with-pitcher-of-beer.jpg.8f1d49537e76ec297b1fc5ac10328364.jpg

I cant find an emoji that quite fits the bill for this picture. 

23 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

Just get out of teaching before it makes you really ill. You don’t realise how much damage you’re doing yourself by forcing yourself to carry on when it’s making you feel like that.

I carried on until I started getting migraines every week. Eventually I went to the doctor, who signed me off for six months. That was three years ago... I never went back. Once I stopped I completely collapsed; I hardly left the house for the first three months. 

I doesn’t matter what noises people make, if you don’t feel supported then you’re not being, at least not in the way that is right for you. We had a new department head, and within one year three of us had gone off with long term stress conditions and a further seven resigned or took early retirement. 

The pressure is immense and the whole system is absurd, in my opinion. You mustn’t feel that it is your individual weakness that is making you struggle, it is actually the ones who are strong enough to keep going when the situation is awful  who end up suffering like this. 

I have several friends who have been through it, got out of teaching and never looked back. I know it seems impossible when you rely on your salary, but there’s always a way and nothing is more important than your health. 

Problem is its not just teaching.. so many jobs are target driven,  (often impossible targets too) and there's internal politics and egotistical bullies. If it's making you ill give it up.      

46 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

My girlfriend is having similar problems at the moment. New head of department is creating work for the sake of it – asking for schemes of work to be re-written in a new (ridiculously long) format. Nothing wrong with the old format. She's just trying to stamp her mark on things to make herself feel important and relevant.

10 minutes ago, Ramshankered said:

She's just trying to stamp her mark on things to make herself feel important and relevant.

That’s a lack of experience and management skills on her part then. We had one like that a few years previously.

38 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Problem is its not just teaching.. so many jobs are target driven,  (often impossible targets too) and there's internal politics and egotistical bullies. If it's making you ill give it up.      

Very true, it’s the market ethos across the board.