Wayne Rooney

Day

Not sure why people can't be happy for him, regardless of opponents, he still has to score. You can make arguments about who's been better, Lineker, Charlton or whatever, but they all played in England sides more successful than this current side. There's been constant pressure on Rooney since he was 17 and a lot of players could easily have crumbled.

Now he's the all time scorer it's not congratulating him for it, it's arguing about him only scoring against weaker sides or how many would he have without penalties etc, who cares? We've all witnessed a piece of English footballing history that should stand for many, many years to come. Well done Wayne.

Who isn't happy for him? Who is comparing him to players from past generations? 

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess my only issue with it is that my brain won't allow me to accept a scally, shrek-looking **** to be the heroic top scorer for England. So my brain will now rewrite history and forget about every time I've called him a scally, shrek-looking ****, and instead paint him as a glorious knight in shining armour, single handedly propping up a fairly crappy England team for 13 years. 

I guess it's easier for me to put someone like Charlton on a pedestal because I wasn't around when he was playing. Nor was the celebrity culture as much. So I don't know about his every little foible. And even Charlton couldn't just go bald gracefully, so there's that. 

I think we should look to take some affirmative action whereby we best ensure that minority footballers who look like potatoes are given every opportunity to be considered as candidates for inclusion within world class circles. I think we should call it the Rooney Rule.

Seriously though. How many top teams are in this list? http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/wayne-rooney-up-49-england-6402669

you should have a look at Bobby Charltons list....! Hat-tricks against teams like Switzerland, USA. Mexico (when they were total whipping boys and we beat them by 8.!) (Rooney hasn't hit a hat trick yet I don't think?)

we have always played some rubbish opposition, you can only score against who is in front of you...and Wayne has done that more often than anyone else ever...he is the greatest. 

Well done Wayne... Fantastic achievement... I'm sure the press and the social media hierarchy are screaming into there CAPS LOCK as we speak...

you should have a look at Bobby Charltons list....! Hat-tricks against teams like Switzerland, USA. Mexico (when they were total whipping boys and we beat them by 8.!) (Rooney hasn't hit a hat trick yet I don't think?)

we have always played some rubbish opposition, you can only score against who is in front of you...and Wayne has done that more often than anyone else ever...he is the greatest. 

Same opinion if he'd played for the reds in his home town instead of Manchester?

Muespach hit the nail on the head; People are going on like Charlton only ever played against Argentina, Brazil, Germany and Spain. It's ridiculous. 

I also hate the statement that Rooney can't be considered a great because he's never won anything with England. Baffles me.

I will say Rooney got lucky due to Owen's injury record, otherwise he would have set the bar above 60 goals. 

Nevertheless, he deserves the plaudits. He's one of England's best ever players, no doubt about that. None. 

The majority of his 50 England goals which have taken him 13 years have come against distinctly not world class opposition.

He is not the player he was a few years ago and Manchester United are not the team they were.

World Class? No, there are only a handful of players that fit into this category and Rooney is not one of them.

A world class salary for a class player.

Muespach hit the nail on the head; People are going on like Charlton only ever played against Argentina, Brazil, Germany and Spain. It's ridiculous. 

I also hate the statement that Rooney can't be considered a great because he's never won anything with England. Baffles me.

I will say Rooney got lucky due to Owen's injury record, otherwise he would have set the bar above 60 goals. 

Nevertheless, he deserves the plaudits. He's one of England's best ever players, no doubt about that. None. 

Then I don't know why they are quoting and replying to me. I haven't mentioned Charlton once. My argument is Rooney is not world class. 

Archived