Wayne Rooney

Day

Has Rooney scored a competitive goal against any of the current top 13 in FIFA's rankings?

Yes or No?

Just to answer your rather pointless question, no. The answer is no.

Laban has for Cyprus tho, scored against Wales who are currently 9th despite being outside the top 10 as far back as the records go and being 34th at the time when Cyprus scored.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why 13? How many tournaments have only 14 teams in? I don't understand!

Are you incapable of answering my question? A simple yes or no would suffice. 

If you bothered to read any of the previous posts, you would have realised that it's 13 because Rooney scored against Croatia, who are currently 14th.

Just to answer your rather pointless question, no. The answer is no.

Laban has for Cyprus tho, scored against Wales who are currently 9th despite being outside the top 10 as far back as the records go and being 34th at the time when Cyprus scored.

Pointless...the same as starting a thread suggesting Rooney is indeed World Class when to all and sundry, he is clearly a very good player but not a World Class one. 

Surely a World Class player is capable of performing on the International stage against the very best.

Pointless...the same as starting a thread suggesting Rooney is indeed World Class when to all and sundry, he is clearly a very good player but not a World Class one. 

Surely a World Class player is capable of performing on the International stage against the very best.

I started the thread about a world class player about to become England's all time top goalscorer and yet people still bash him. I would say the timing was perfectly relevant with widespread media coverage of Rooney, unlike asking how many goals Rooney has scored against the current top 13 in FIFA world rankings. 

Has Rooney scored a competitive goal against any of the current top 13 in FIFA's rankings?

Yes or No?

The competitive stipulation is a bit daft too. You can't help who you're drawn against in competitive matches. 

I get the point that when England have come up against harder teams in competitive matches, Rooney, and the whole team, haven't showed up. But then the same argument applies to Messi and Ronaldo. When was the last time Portugal beat a decent team in a competitive match? Did they win the World Cup and I didn't notice?

not that this is a comparison between Rooney and Ronaldo, there is no comparison, it's just an example. If that's the only definition of world class, then Ronaldo isn't world class. 

Roomey has scored against some of the best defenders in world and club football. What more do you want from a striker? Whether it's competitive or not is irrelevant. And not enough is made of his all round team play. I think Lineker's a ledge, but he just hung around the 6 yard box and scored a load of tap ins really. Rooney has always brought a lot more to the game. 

There are two definitions of world class, I think. There's world class right now, at this moment in time, and players can flit in and out of that category. And then there's consistently world class over the course of a career. There doesn't need to be just 11 world class players at any one time, it's not about who would get into a world XI, I think it's more about worldwide recognition for being one of the best in the world at what they do. But there's not some sort of limit on that. There can be ten world class players, but if your the 11th best you don't make the cut, you're just class. That's daft. 

Well done Rooney - only another 21 international goals needed until you overtake the Rams legend that is Stern John...

But how many of those were scored against the current top 13 in FIFA rankings compared to Rooney? I want stats, graphs, pie charts

I agree with you Daveo, check this out:- http://www.rsssf.com/miscellaneous/messi-intlg.html

Interestingly, Lionel Messi's World Cup (tournament) goals, come against Serbia, Bosnia, Iran and Nigeria. 24 of Messi's 46 international goals have been in friendlies. 14 in WC Qualifiers. None against Argentina.

ScreenHunter_101.thumb.jpg.ae672ca754dab

Clearly he's rubbish. Even Rooney, who is obviously second rate, has scored against Argentina.

Are you incapable of answering my question? A simple yes or no would suffice. 

If you bothered to read any of the previous posts, you would have realised that it's 13 because Rooney scored against Croatia, who are currently 14th.

it's a loaded question and you're a bit daft asking it, it's no more relevant than asking if Messi has scored an FA Cup goal, yes or no. Who's to say Rooney has had the opportunities to play or score against the current top 13?

Clearly he's rubbish. Even Rooney, who is obviously second rate, has scored against Argentina.

I think you are agreeing with me without realising it. I'm mocking the use of International stats to discredit Rooney by highlighting those stats when comparing Messi, Ronaldo and Neymar.

Messi has scored against Argentina with a shocking back pass the keeper wasn't ready for, World Class status reinstated.

Can I just point out that almost no one has claimed Rooney is crap or even that he isn't a great footballer. I don't understand why you're all freaking out and treating it like high treason that some people aren't keen on ascribing to him the wholly arbitrary title of "world class".

I, like a lot of fans, can recognise the achievement of being the country's top scorer of all time while at the same time not liking the man.

As far as World class goes, of course it depends entirely on your definition of World Class:

One of the best in the world in his position = Yes

Good enough to be in the world's best 11 = No.

A major flaw?

I would venture to say that Rooney has failed to score against many, if at all any sides that have featured in FIFA's top 10 from the 13 years that Rooney has been playing in competitive games for England.

Top 13 is anything but random. It the top 13 because he actually managed to score a goal against the 14th ranked side, Croatia. If it were random, I would have picked the number out of the sky. 

He scored against a very good team in Uruguay at the world cup and they were in the top ten at the time.

But they are not in the top 10 now

But that's the thing, he said this: 

Does there?

World Class to me means that you are amongst the best few in the world in any given position. 

Surely it's fair to say that the last time he got the chance to prove himself was at the World Cup, where he did by scoring against a top ten side? Not his fault we were ***** and couldn't win a game.

Yes or No?

Okay, I've looked at this, just to humour you.

Neymar has not scored a proper competitive goal against a top 13 side. He has scored against Argentina on two occasions in something called "Copa Leoz", not sure what that is, and he has scored once against Spain in the Confederations Cup. His other five goals against the top 13 were in friendlies. But competitively, ZERO.

Cristiano Ronaldo has scored 5  competitive goals against the top 13. Three of these have been at tournaments against Holland (in two games), and the other two against Belgium in Qualifiers. He has also scored once against both Argentina and Holland in friendlies. Competitively, THREE.

Messi has scored 4 competitive goals against a top 13 side, ALL have been in WC Qualifiers (not in tournaments), 2 each versus Columbia and Chile over four games. He also has scored against Spain (in two games) Brazil (in two games, one hattrick), Portugal and Germany (8 goals total) in friendlies. Competitively, FOUR.

Rooney has scored no competitive goals against any of the top 13, but has scored four friendly goals against Argentina, Holland, and in two games Vs Brazil.

----------

However, if you was being more realistic, and expanded to the top 32 teams, which is possibly more fair as the grouping/fixtures would make it more likely to face opponents in the top 32 than the top 12! It throws up interesting stats.

ScreenHunter_104.thumb.jpg.6237b5593e69a

Archived