Wayne Rooney

Day

Messi hasn't seen Rooney play up close for years. I assume he is still assessing Rooney from the last time he played against him in 2011 when he was world class. Messi admitted that he never watches the premier league. If he did then he would change his opinion

oh, have you played against Rooney lately?

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The same FIFA rankings that have Belguim above Germany, Colombia above Brazil, Wales above England and England above Spain? 

They're far from perfect, but give a good general idea of the relative strength of teams. The fact that there are five places difference between some of the top nations isn't going to affect averages when we're using a sample size of 50.

This is the problem we have in england, we think our players are great when they're not and when they ultimately fail they end up getting criticized. We need to lower our expectations 

right, there has to be a minimum of the best eleven players at any given time. Whilst Rooney wouldn't get into that team based on the other forwards available, once you consider the best defenders etc, you'd probably find that pound for pound, Rooney would be a better forward than your chosen defender would be as a defender.

Rooney is not judged fairly as there are two AMAZING club players around at the moment.

They're far from perfect, but give a good general idea of the relative strength of teams. The fact that there are five places difference between some of the top nations isn't going to affect averages when we're using a sample size of 50.

Far from perfect? They are a complete joke, you really can't use FIFA rankings for averages, the only person that takes them seriously is Blatter. 

Rooney hasn't performed well in the premier league, champions league or internationally for years. I really can't understand why people still think he is world class. Right it's clear that we aren't getting anywhere with this argument because we aren't going to change each other's minds or opinions.

Far from perfect? They are a complete joke, you really can't use FIFA rankings for averages, the only person that takes them seriously is Blatter. 

I disagree, I think they're great. Too many people view them as a league table and get annoyed about small anomalies, but that's not the point of the rankings. They exist to establish seedings and keep track of the relative strength of confederations, not decide which country is best.

Go and look at the formula they use. There really isn't much to complain about. You can, of course, game the system by carefully selecting who you play friendlies against. Belgium are a great example of this and worked their way to top seeding through that method.

you seem to also overlook the poor standard of team-mate and management, as well as broken metatarsals affecting Rooney's WC stats.

I would love to see the Rooney bashers counter argument on this.

Stick Rooney in the Barca team alongside Suarez and Neymar and I'll bet both mine and Mostyns testicles Rooney would be banging them in. 

Taking nothing away from Messi, but playing alongside other world class players creates more opportunities to score goals. 

Man Utd haven't had a decent squad for years now and England 'kin ell, Jonjo ******* Shelvey says it all. 

Rooneys goal to game ratio is not only better in the World Cup including qualifiers but even more impressive when you look at the players he's had around him. 

Rooney hasn't performed well in the premier league, champions league or internationally for years. I really can't understand why people still think he is world class. Right it's clear that we aren't getting anywhere with this argument because we aren't going to change each other's minds or opinions.

All that is relevant is how he compares with other English players. After all, the likes of Messi and Ronaldo can't play for England, so why on earth are you even bringing them into the equation? Are you disputing the established premise that Rooney doesn't deserve his place in the England side?

If so, who would you replace him with? Everything else is just meaningless from a practical sense.

Stick Rooney in the Barca team alongside Suarez and Neymar and I'll bet both mine and Mostyns testicles Rooney would be banging them in. 

Taking nothing away from Messi, but playing alongside other world class players creates more opportunities to score goals. 

Man Utd haven't had a decent squad for years now and England 'kin ell, Jonjo ******* Shelvey says it all. 

Rooneys goal to game ratio is not only better in the World Cup including qualifiers but even more impressive when you look at the players he's had around him. 

I've heard it all now.

All that is relevant is how he compares with other English players. After all, the likes of Messi and Ronaldo can't play for England, so why on earth are you even bringing them into the equation? Are you disputing the established premise that Rooney doesn't deserve his place in the England side?

If so, who would you replace him with? Everything else is just meaningless from a practical sense.

I'm not disputing Rooney's England stats. They are very good. I'm arguing that he hasn't been world class for years, which he hasn't

I would say in general Brazil do have better players, but I don't think the gulf in class is as wide as you're making out. You mention Shelvey, but he has 2 caps. Kleberson has played 32 times for Brazil.

I would say in general Brazil do have better players, but I don't think the gulf in class is as wide as you're making out. You mention Shelvey, but he has 2 caps. Kleberson has played 32 times for Brazil.

I see your Kleberson and raise you with a Sean Wright Phillips with 36 caps

Archived