Wayne Rooney

Day

Neymar 23. 44 goals in 66. That's world class. 

How many goals has Rooney scored in major tournaments? How many have been against teams that barley have any registered professional footballers...

Mmmmmm, barley.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Neymar 23. 44 goals in 66. That's world class. 

How many goals has Rooney scored in major tournaments? How many have been against teams that barley have any registered professional footballers...

oh dear god!

Are you serious? How many goals do you think Rooney would score in the Brazil team?

How many goals did Ryan Giggs score in WC finals?

Just to add, the majority of Brazil's opponents are far worse than England's opponents!

oh dear god!

Are you serious? How many goals do you think Rooney would score in the Brazil team?

Calm down. No one is calling him ****. But a player that has done almost nothing in major tournaments is not world class on the international stage. One of the main reasons being in the Euros (qualifying groups or tournament) you face no none European sides (except for Israel). Same again with the World Cup qualifiers. Once every 4 years he is lucky to face 2 non European sides at a World Cup and not do much. 

oh dear god!

Just to add, the majority of Brazil's opponents are far worse than England's opponents!

These are the last ten games of each side, I left out repeat teams (Slovenia once I think). It's not exactly clear cut but I'd say Brazil have played marginally harder teams. Their qualification is certainly far harder than England's ever is.

Brazil - Costa Rica, Paraguay, Venezuela, Colombia, Peru, Honduras, Mexico, Chile, France, Austria 

England - San Marino, Slovenia, Ireland, Italy, Lithunia, Scotland, Estonia, Switzerland, Norway, Costa Rica

Surely you are only referring to friendlies. Qualifying out of the South American group is infinitely more difficult than the cakewalk qualification groups England are presented with.

These are the last ten games of each side, I left out repeat teams (Slovenia once I think). It's not exactly clear cut but I'd say Brazil have played marginally harder teams. Their qualification is certainly far harder than England's ever is.

Brazil - Costa Rica, Paraguay, Venezuela, Colombia, Peru, Honduras, Mexico, Chile, France, Austria 

England - San Marino, Slovenia, Ireland, Italy, Lithunia, Scotland, Estonia, Switzerland, Norway, Costa Rica

what are you basing that on? Aside of a couple of Mexicans, Chileans and Colombians, how many players play in top European leagues, compared to those specifically chosen last ten you mention?

funny how the poster I was responding to mentioned Neymar's 44 in 66, at such a young age, I'd be interested in the opponents in which Neymar scored. That's a lot of games and a lot of friendlies and mickey mouse tournaments.

Surely you are only referring to friendlies. Qualifying out of the South American group is infinitely more difficult than the cakewalk qualification groups England are presented with.

I'm referring to the 66 caps in which Neymar scored 44 goals which somehow makes Rooney NOT world class.

what are you basing that on? Aside of a couple of Mexicans, Chileans and Colombians, how many players play in top European leagues, compared to those specifically chosen last ten you mention?

funny how the poster I was responding to mentioned Neymar's 44 in 66, at such a young age, I'd be interested in the opponents in which Neymar scored. That's a lot of games and a lot of friendlies and mickey mouse tournaments.

My opinion that they are far better sides than the average European sides. You are severely underestimating the South American leagues. 

I have no interest in the Neymar thing, or whether Rooney is world class. I was just responding to whether Brazil's opponents are much worse than England's. They aren't.

oh dear god!

Rooney would score far less for Brazil. Brazil are an average side these days and last couple of coaches have been clueless. Their current coach has dropped arguably the best defender in the world in Thiago Silva in favour of David Luiz.

Neymar scores in major tournaments. He makes it to finals. He wins Golden Boots. He scores against sides from all over the world. You tend to rack up the appearances when you not only qualify for every tournament but also progress beyond the first knockout rounds. 

Neymar scores in major tournaments. He makes it to finals. He wins Golden Boots. He scores against sides from all over the world. You tend to rack up the appearances when you not only qualify for every tournament but also progress beyond the first knockout rounds. 

its a stupid argument is my point. Why did you pick Neymar? Why not compare other world class players that play for rubbish countries. IN fact, how does Messi compare to Rooney at international level. Or even Ronaldo?

Messi: "If you look at the technical ability of a player like Wayne Rooney, he is as good as any player in Europe"

"Rooney has exceptional quality. Not just great technical ability, but also works very hard for his team."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3122746/Lionel-Messi-hails-Manchester-United-striker-Wayne-Rooney-s-exceptional-quality-says-one-best-players-Europe.html

I would say Messi is a good judge of a player. As someone said earlier, English love to bash what we have. Sad really.

its a stupid argument is my point. Why did you pick Neymar? Why not compare other world class players that play for rubbish countries. IN fact, how does Messi compare to Rooney at international level. Or even Ronaldo?

Rooney hasn't performed for Man Utd for years so shouldn't be classed as world class. Messi and Ronaldo have been scoring 50, 60 goals year in year out

Archived