Wayne Rooney

Day

Has ibrahimovic ever been to a World Cup final? What about Samuel eto? Gareth bale? Drogba? All suffer from being world class but their nation is poor, none are going to or have reached the best at international because their international teams are dross, Rooney suffers from the same problem

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Messi: "If you look at the technical ability of a player like Wayne Rooney, he is as good as any player in Europe"

"Rooney has exceptional quality. Not just great technical ability, but also works very hard for his team."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3122746/Lionel-Messi-hails-Manchester-United-striker-Wayne-Rooney-s-exceptional-quality-says-one-best-players-Europe.html

I would say Messi is a good judge of a player. As someone said earlier, English love to bash what we have. Sad really.

Messi hasn't seen Rooney play up close for years. I assume he is still assessing Rooney from the last time he played against him in 2011 when he was world class. Messi admitted that he never watches the premier league. If he did then he would change his opinion

Has ibrahimovic ever been to a World Cup final? What about Samuel eto? Gareth bale? Drogba? All suffer from being world class but their nation is poor, none are going to or have reached the best at international because their international teams are dross, Rooney suffers from the same problem

What on earth...Totally. Since Rooney has been involved in the England Setup every other player has been average...

Messi hasn't seen Rooney play up close for years. I assume he is still assessing Rooney from the last time he played against him in 2011 when he was world class. Messi admitted that he never watches the premier league. If he did then he would change his opinion

Nah, he wouldn't. He'd say exactly the same thing. It's just pleasantries. Meaningless.

Messi: "If you look at the technical ability of a player like Wayne Rooney, he is as good as any player in Europe"

"Rooney has exceptional quality. Not just great technical ability, but also works very hard for his team."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3122746/Lionel-Messi-hails-Manchester-United-striker-Wayne-Rooney-s-exceptional-quality-says-one-best-players-Europe.html

I would say Messi is a good judge of a player. As someone said earlier, English love to bash what we have. Sad really.

Who's bashing? Some of us just don't throw around world class lightly. Messi also could have used the world and not just Europe. If you want to be world class then you have to deliver on the world stage. 

You are listing players that have played for multiple clubs and in many cases in multiple nations and won multiple trophies in these nations. Some in multiple continents. Your point doesn't help Rooney's case. 

Who's bashing? Some of us just don't throw around world class lightly. Messi also could have used the world and not just Europe. If you want to be world class then you have to deliver on the world stage. 

Ronaldo has scored 3 goals in the World Cup, is that delivering on the world stage?

World Cup goals including qualifiers 

Messi 19 in 50 games

Ronaldo 18 in 42 games

Rooney 17 in 33 games

Obviously people won't include qualifiers as being on the world stage as it doesn't backup their argument with Rooney having the better goal to game ratio. 

World Cup goals including qualifiers 

Messi 19 in 50 games

Ronaldo 18 in 42 games

Rooney 17 in 33 games

Obviously people won't include qualifiers as being on the world stage as it doesn't backup their argument with Rooney having the better goal to game ratio. 

I'm more than happy to include qualifiers as we've already established how weak the teams in European qualification groups are compared to South America.

Just to give an idea, the average FIFA ranking of the teams Rooney has scored against is 71 whilst Neymar's is 42.

Ronaldo has scored 3 goals in the World Cup, is that delivering on the world stage?

How many years has Ronaldo played in the strikers position? Ronaldo get's a lot of assists for Portugal. Portugal's record in tournaments has been better than England's since both of their arrival. Ronaldo has played in more than one domestic league. Scored goals and won trophies in more than one domestic league. He has scored 77 Champions league goals. Rooney only 29. He has scored almost as many goals for RM alone as Rooney has for Everton, Man U and England. 

But you brought up Ronaldo. 

He is also the all time top champions league goalscorer along with Messi

The argument is Rooney hasn't done it on the World Stage, Champions League is a European competition. 

If you want to go there Rooney is currently the 23rd top scorer of all time. 1 more goal and he moves up to 17th and still playing.

In other words, up there with the best.

There isn't a limit of 2 World Class players, just because Ronaldo and Messi are the best doesn't mean others cannot be called World Class. I know that may blow your mind but it's true.

I'm more than happy to include qualifiers as we've already established how weak the teams in European qualification groups are compared to South America.

Just to give an idea, the average FIFA ranking of the teams Rooney has scored against is 71 whilst Neymar's is 42.

The same FIFA rankings that have Belguim above Germany, Colombia above Brazil, Wales above England and England above Spain? 

The argument is Rooney hasn't done it on the World Stage, Champions League is a European competition. 

If you want to go there Rooney is currently the 23rd top scorer of all time. 1 more goal and he moves up to 17th and still playing.

In other words, up there with the best.

There isn't a limit of 2 World Class players, just because Ronaldo and Messi are the best doesn't mean others cannot be called World Class. I know that may blow your mind but it's true.

This post shows that you haven't read my previous posts. I said that Rooney was world class, he isn't anymore. Rooney scored most of those goals when he was world class.

Archived