Wayne Rooney

Day

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Harry Kane yet to score this season for Spurs. Plays for England and scores 2 goals in 64 minutes. Scored his first 1 in 28 minutes against Lithuania. Only failed to score so far when he started and played the whole game against Italy. He will continue to score goals in England qualifiers. Because the quality of opposition is low. 

Then he should break the record then. But he won't. 

Even so, look who other England greats scored against and the quality of these nations at the time

Neymar,Messi,Ronaldo,Suarez,Benzema,Zlatan,Cavani,Aguero,Diego Costa,Lewandowski, Muller,Hazard,Sanchez, Tevez, Jackson Martinez, Higuain, Griezmann,Aubameyang are all better than Rooney. Was Rooney a world class player? Yes he was without a doubt. That Tevez,Ronaldo and Rooney partnership for Man Utd was fantastic and Rooney's work ethic got the best out of both of the former. Is Rooney world class at the moment? Absolutely not as those players listed above are better than Rooney without a doubt in my eyes. It's not a bad thing that Rooney isn't world class but the sooner we realise that we don't have any world class players, the sooner we can aim to rectify this.

kin ******. Higuain better than Rooney? Aubameyang? Griezmann? Cavani? 

Is it the foreign names you're falling for? 

Didn't answer my question, what does he have to do to become England's greatest ever scorer?

Good question. A combination of more goals, scoring more important goals, and making a goalscoring impact at a major tournament. It's difficult to say exactly what he needs to do but he's not there at the moment.

All of those players have scored over 20 goals in recent years despite not being strikers whereas Rooney last scored over 20 goals in 2012

Scored less than Rooney

I think it's only his instinct for goal that makes Cavani any better than the likes of Balotelli.

Scored less than Rooney

I think it's only his instinct for goal that makes Cavani any better than the likes of Balotelli.

I'm willing to bet that you've seen Cavani maximum about 5 times. He is one of the most hard working forwards in world football. Silly comparison comparing their scoring records over their whole career. I'm referring to the here and now where Rooney is no longer world class

'Wayne Rooney is the greatest England goalscorer of all time' - That is not a fact, it's an opinion. 

@eddie 'best' might not equal 'most'. But 'greatest' is a synonym for 'most', so technically it's a fact that he is the greatest goal scorer. Maybe not the best, but definitely the greatest. 

Rooney is the best we've got and that's been the case for some time, and just like the star boy of the previous generation, it's mostly been done on hard work. Beckham was always shy of the natural ability of Ronaldo, for example, but through endeavour put himself into the same league.

The reason why we're miles off other nations is that we don't value education or expression. By education, I mean for whatever reason, our footballers are often not as bright as their foreign counterparts, some of whom arrive to play in England speaking fluent English already. We train our footballers to do, not to think. And by expression, I mean that players aren't encouraged (or often actively discouraged) to express themselves in their developing years. Just think about how many footballing phrases that got shouted at you when you played as a kid - all of them had to do with effort, very few had anything to do with doing something interesting with the ball. "Get on your bike", "head down lad", "you should be busting a gut to get there", "put a foot in!" etc. If you're a big, strong, physical lad who puts in 110% you'll go miles in youth football because coaches will love you. 

Wayne Rooney is the ultimate English footballer. In our footballing culture, you won't get better than him - he carries his team, puts a shift in, does the dirty work and boy can he strike a football. He's sound technically and has a decent pass on him, but compared to other players in his league, he's short of flair, of the "oomph", the something that players have that gets you off your feet. You don't need that in every player - every world class side has a player like Rooney in it, and he'd improve any team in the world by being in it (yes, I include Bayern, Barca and Real in that).

It's a crying shame Rooney hasn't played for England with different types of footballers who he might complement and would complement him. All we do is produce Rooneys, and a Wayne Rooney only comes about once every ten or fifteen years. 

@eddie 'best' might not equal 'most'. But 'greatest' is a synonym for 'most', so technically it's a fact that he is the greatest goal scorer. Maybe not the best, but definitely the greatest. 

He has the greatest number of goals yes, but that's not the same as greatest goalscorer. As most people have said, goalscoring ability has a number of different factors to it.

He has the greatest number of goals yes, but that's not the same as greatest goalscorer. As most people have said, goalscoring ability has a number of different factors to it.

but the ultimate measure of a goal scorer is, by definition, the number of goals he's scored. He may not be the best, but he's undeniably the greatest. 

Rooney is the best we've got and that's been the case for some time, and just like the star boy of the previous generation, it's mostly been done on hard work. Beckham was always shy of the natural ability of Ronaldo, for example, but through endeavour put himself into the same league.

The reason why we're miles off other nations is that we don't value education or expression. By education, I mean for whatever reason, our footballers are often not as bright as their foreign counterparts, some of whom arrive to play in England speaking fluent English already. We train our footballers to do, not to think. And by expression, I mean that players aren't encouraged (or often actively discouraged) to express themselves in their developing years. Just think about how many footballing phrases that got shouted at you when you played as a kid - all of them had to do with effort, very few had anything to do with doing something interesting with the ball. "Get on your bike", "head down lad", "you should be busting a gut to get there", "put a foot in!" etc. If you're a big, strong, physical lad who puts in 110% you'll go miles in youth football because coaches will love you. 

Wayne Rooney is the ultimate English footballer. In our footballing culture, you won't get better than him - he carries his team, puts a shift in, does the dirty work and boy can he strike a football. He's sound technically and has a decent pass on him, but compared to other players in his league, he's short of flair, of the "oomph", the something that players have that gets you off your feet. You don't need that in every player - every world class side has a player like Rooney in it, and he'd improve any team in the world by being in it (yes, I include Bayern, Barca and Real in that).

It's a crying shame Rooney hasn't played for England with different types of footballers who he might complement and would complement him. All we do is produce Rooneys, and a Wayne Rooney only comes about once every ten or fifteen years. 

*drops the mike 

Interesting that you think rooney could improve Bayern,Real and Barca when he wouldn't get in any of those teams but it's your opinion I guess

Archived