Wayne Rooney

Day

Owen was more of a goalscorer than Rooney. Rooney has an allround better game, meaning he can play on his own upfront where as many traditional poachers such as Lineker wouldnt be able to.

He's stayed largely fit and at the top of his game for 12 years. Thats why he has scored the most goals.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure what the debate is here... But goals aren't the be all and end all of being a world class striker.

Wayne Rooney probably isn't now, but he was at a time one of the best players in the world. Technically he's outstanding and his footballing intelligence far outweighs his looks put it that way!

He is the greatest English goal scorer, as he's scored more goals than any other player. Is he the greatest striker - or player to represent England? That's up for debate. In my lifetime, he is.

Also, i don't feel how international records can define the quality of a player. Wayne Rooney has a poor World Cup record. So what? Since when has the World Cup ever been the benchmark for a player's ability?

Since Pele used it as 'evidence' of him being a better player than Lionel Messi? Pull the other one mate.

I've seen Rooney rub shoulders with the best players in the world, define matches against world class teams and be a key player for a United side who were crowned Champs of Europe. That's enough evidence.

On the flip side, you don't need to be a world class player to play a key part in a world class team. Mario Mandzukic was critical to Bayern Munich's greatest season ever - is he world class? No, he's not.

Watched it last night on iPlayer, decent documentary although won't change anyone's mind that has their feelings on the lad set in stone.

Obviously the granny incident was skipped over but as Colleen said, he grew up in the media spotlight from the age of 16. It's easy to say he should know better, he's a role model etc. But he was a kid, a kid that's matured now and you could see that in this.

Could have easily took a swipe at Fergie but rose above it, kept true to himself and the reasons why he joined United.

Also sounds like a real asset to the England team both on and off the pitch listening to his fellow pros, can clearly see why he was made captain. People will brush it off as all nicey nice for TV, nobody forced them to feature on the programme, could have refused like Fergie did.

yeah...course he was...ha ha. 

I think that it's impossible to compare players between eras, because there are very few areas of common ground.

I leave that sort of stuff to the ones who think that they can write a player off after 10 games.

Only just watched it on iplayer. 

I love that guy. A legendary English and British footballer. Can't stand Man United but if it means watching those glory hunting tosspots celebrating in their London holes just to see him go on and win even more then I'd take that. 

Sometimes in English football and even British sport we seem to not realise what we have until the spotlight has moved on. In fact we spend more time trying to tear them down. Why is that? 

But this is an English sporting champion that has competed with the elite and show over the years that he's up there with them. Maybe not freaks like Messi and Ronaldo but there's no failure in that. 

Just went onto the homepage and this topic was on there, thought it was under Transfer Talk for a second.

Wayne Rooney on loan. Would be okay, would he replace Martin though?

Bris would say he wouldn't fit in the 443 system and would be a luxury

I still think Ronaldo is a complete winker too.

The thing is, he isn't. I got a mate who worked PR for RM and swears by how nice Ronaldo is, great with the younger players, does immense charity work and is generally loved my the RM staff as a whole.

On the other hand Messi is a little ****. But that could just be the RM spin machine in full flow... 

Only just watched it on iplayer. 

I love that guy. A legendary English and British footballer. Can't stand Man United but if it means watching those glory hunting tosspots celebrating in their London holes just to see him go on and win even more then I'd take that. 

Sometimes in English football and even British sport we seem to not realise what we have until the spotlight has moved on. In fact we spend more time trying to tear them down. Why is that? 

But this is an English sporting champion that has competed with the elite and show over the years that he's up there with them. Maybe not freaks like Messi and Ronaldo but there's no failure in that. 

Because the British Media and certain Twitterati know best.

Archived