Stephen Warnock

Bris Vegas

Not really happy with this. He's expensive and in all the times I've seen Leeds on tv he's looked nothing special at all. Just an average Championship LB.

Could probably match up to Forsyth right now but I don't see the point in that. Should be looking to improve on Forsyth.

We seem to be chucking some fairly big wages about?

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bloody hell there is some nonsense being spouted on here this morning.

Warnock is a very good left back - great experience - prem and international - playing very well this season. He even comes without a fee.

Reasons given not for buying:-

He plays for Leeds - blind hatred

He will upset the balance in the dressing room - based on what evidence. As Mackworth stated every player in our squad has someone breathing down their neck, except Forsyth.

He will cost too much in wages - why don't we trust Rush and the money men at Derby who have done a great job in the last 3 years?

Really think this is a great bit of business, especially if we go up.

At last! Some sense!

Bloody hell there is some nonsense being spouted on here this morning.

Warnock is a very good left back - great experience - prem and international - playing very well this season. He even comes without a fee.

Reasons given not for buying:-

He plays for Leeds - blind hatred

He will upset the balance in the dressing room - based on what evidence. As Mackworth stated every player in our squad has someone breathing down their neck, except Forsyth.

He will cost too much in wages - why don't we trust Rush and the money men at Derby who have done a great job in the last 3 years?

Really think this is a great bit of business, especially if we go up.

I was traumatised by Derek Hales.

Ever since his scary beard showed up at the Baseball Ground i suffer from cold sweats whenever Derby start spending serious money (whether its fees or wages).

Its like someone walked over me grave....<shudder>.

Perhaps we can't get our preferred target until the summer and Steve's making sure we have adequate cover if needed. I think an older, experienced player may well keep a calmer head if called on than a youngster desperate to impress. Whatever we pay him will seem very little if we go up, and if we don't it's not that much of a gamble. As to his character etc, we haven't signed disruptive influences so far, so I think we must be sure he'd fit.

I work with a big Palace fan who has seen a rumor on thier forum that they are interested in Forsyth.

:unsure:

Interesting.

What strikes me about Warnock is why would the captain of Leeds Utd agree to come here on a short term deal if he knows he is going to be on the bench. Why would he?

Those who say it will be difficult to oust Forsyth after what he has achieved in the last 18 months are absolutely right. However, he won't be difficult to oust if he's not here!

Personally I think its a good signing, forsyth needs some competition which Naylor is clearly not providing. Warnock has premier league experience, has been playing well for leeds this season and can provide some leadership. Also, only a 6 month deal meaning if we get promoted, a top left back can be brought in in the summer unless warnock turns out to be awesome. Experience is needed to get out of the division and that is what Warnock provides

The deal would suggest to be what I posted earlier that I would want it to be should he come here.

I think this move is a serious claim that we are going up and we won't let anything ruin our chances.

The reason for this is we aren't taking any risks. Imagine Forsyth getting an injury and being out for the rest of the season just after the loan window closes. If Naylor cost us say 4 or 5 points then Mac would absolutely kick himself. The fact it's a 6-month deal is imo proof he's here to help us go up then leaving. If we don't go up then he'll probably stay another year.

Surely there must be some kind of fee involved here. He is still under contract.

I'm quite excited by this transfer. Forsyth has never really been anything more than adequate and Warnock will surely be the first choice in that position.

He's only just turned 33 so has still got a season and a half if not 2 and a half seasons to offer.

What is clear is that the board are doing what so many Rams fans have been asking for years. Putting that bit of money up in order to help us achieve getting to the promised land. We have never had a constant stream of players coming in for some time. It's great!

I for one personally would have Forsyth over Warnock, but that's my opinion. I also wouldnt be overly content about us starting a season in the PL with either of these as first choice.

The whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

Either may be OK.

Would of thought Naylor was helping out with the kids and getting coaching badges.

Warnock transfer comes across as a bit of a band aid fix to get us through until the summer when Steve knows if he needs a top Championship player or a Premiership standard player.

Not to be taken seriously but is usually a good indicator, Football Manager has Warnock down as being on

Bent, Albentosa, Ssewankambo and now Warnock?

Are we just signing players for the sake of it or has Mystic Mel foreseen something catastrophic? Such a strange deal.

You can understand it with the other three - Bent is a proven goalscorer and a match-winner, Albentosa is rated among the best centre backs in La Liga and promises to be a shrewd long-term investment if we get the deal over the line, Ssewankambo is a young prospect being readied for the future - but what does Warnock really bring to the table that we don't already have?

He doesn't fit the profile at all and it seems odd unless he's going to be first-choice, which in itself would endanger the team spirit in my opinion. It is the kind of signing that reminds me of January 2007.

But again, hasn't Forsyth been an ever-present over the last two seasons? Why are we now suddenly seeking a replacement or cover?

Don't we have Naylor and Max Lowe in reserve? Surely if Forsyth were seriously injured, we could just dip into the loan market a la Grant & Butland or simply put faith in the players already here?

I don't really see the benefit of having a bloated squad and a seemingly bloated wage bill at this point.

Healthy competition for places is one thing, but this is just silly.

Surely there must be some kind of fee involved here. He is still under contract.

I'm quite excited by this transfer. Forsyth has never really been anything more than adequate and Warnock will surely be the first choice in that position.

He's only just turned 33 so has still got a season and a half if not 2 and a half seasons to offer.

wut.

Archived