Stephen Warnock

Bris Vegas

Not really happy with this. He's expensive and in all the times I've seen Leeds on tv he's looked nothing special at all. Just an average Championship LB.

Could probably match up to Forsyth right now but I don't see the point in that. Should be looking to improve on Forsyth.

We seem to be chucking some fairly big wages about?

He was outstanding against us at their place. Ibe and Russell got nothing out of him at all.

From what I've seen and can gather, which seems to echo the thoughts of Leeds fand is: he was very poor last season, he couldn't keep the ball and looked very short on confidence. He was a hoof merchant, who looked to have given up on his career. This season, however, he's been Leeds best player and shown that he can play football - Leeds are a footballing side this season - and shown why he is an ex international.

My thoughts are that he's going to struggle to oust Forsyth, but he gives us an option. McClaren mentioned about not overusing players and Forsyth has started every league game for the past two seasons - including the play-offs.

Warnock is currently in great form; confident, consistent and solid. He will aid our short term goals, even if he doesn't play much.

In all the Leeds games I saw last season, which must have been 12/13, he was poor - I agree. But he's a different beast this season and that's what I hope he brings.

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bent, Albentosa, Ssewankambo and now Warnock?

Are we just signing players for the sake of it or has Mystic Mel foreseen something catastrophic? Such a strange deal.

You can understand it with the other three - Bent is a proven goalscorer and a match-winner, Albentosa is rated among the best centre backs in La Liga and promises to be a shrewd long-term investment if we get the deal over the line, Ssewankambo is a young prospect being readied for the future - but what does Warnock really bring to the table that we don't already have?

He doesn't fit the profile at all and it seems odd unless he's going to be first-choice, which in itself would endanger the team spirit in my opinion. It is the kind of signing that reminds me of January 2007.

But again, hasn't Forsyth been an ever-present over the last two seasons? Why are we now suddenly seeking a replacement or cover?

Don't we have Naylor and Max Lowe in reserve? Surely if Forsyth were seriously injured, we could just dip into the loan market a la Grant & Butland or simply put faith in the players already here?

I don't really see the benefit of having a bloated squad and a seemingly bloated wage bill at this point.

Healthy competition for places is one thing, but this is just silly.

Looking at our position in the league,I'd go with SM on this one

Bent, Albentosa, Ssewankambo and now Warnock?

Are we just signing players for the sake of it or has Mystic Mel foreseen something catastrophic? Such a strange deal.

You can understand it with the other three - Bent is a proven goalscorer and a match-winner, Albentosa is rated among the best centre backs in La Liga and promises to be a shrewd long-term investment if we get the deal over the line, Ssewankambo is a young prospect being readied for the future - but what does Warnock really bring to the table that we don't already have?

He doesn't fit the profile at all and it seems odd unless he's going to be first-choice, which in itself would endanger the team spirit in my opinion. It is the kind of signing that reminds me of January 2007.

But again, hasn't Forsyth been an ever-present over the last two seasons? Why are we now suddenly seeking a replacement or cover?

Don't we have Naylor and Max Lowe in reserve? Surely if Forsyth were seriously injured, we could just dip into the loan market a la Grant & Butland or simply put faith in the players already here?

I don't really see the benefit of having a bloated squad and a seemingly bloated wage bill at this point.

Healthy competition for places is one thing, but this is just silly.

Why's it a strange deal?  He brings with him something invaluable, experience.  He's a good addition to the squad and will provide much need competition for Forsyth who's been an ever present for the past two seasons simply because we haven't had any other left backs...  When the chips are down and we need to dig out a result against Bournemouth on a high pressure Tuesday night in February I for one would much rather call on Warnock's services than an 18 year old Everton/Man U/Schalke loanee...

Leeds fan.

Yet to see/speak to a fan who wants him to leave. Think the only person who wants him out is Cellino, they definitely don't see eye to eye and have had issues in the past. He is injured at the minute but is expected he'll be back in a week or so.

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/leeds-united/latest-whites-news/leeds-united-warnock-s-future-cast-in-doubt-1-6881434

He's been our best and most consistent performer all season and in the position we're in, would think his experience would be vital. Once he goes I think the oldest person in our defence will be about 22 years old.

what strikes meas weird is, most fans have been in agreement that we have been in need of some strengthening for our push for automatic promotion because its quite a crowd up at the top of the league. A lot of fans are talking about us like we are already playing in the premier league next season with 19 games left. Most of us were saying Best wasnt the answer as either a plan B or a back up CF to Martin big sock, the management seemed to feel the same, sent him back, and replaced him with what could possibly be a masterstroke. (everyone is happy with Bent arnt thee?) the other positions that most of us talked abpout strengthening were LB (competition for Fozzy) and CB, (because we seem abit fragile sometimes there despite the recent clean sheets) Bent, Albentosa  and Warnock seem to be perfect fits for what we need to actually get promoted, because that isnt a given by the way, even though some folk seem to be picking their Man Utd away first 11 already. i'm happy with all these signings if we get them, especially Bent and the excitement around Albentosa.  GO TEAM MCcLAREN!

Archived