Stephen Warnock

Bris Vegas

Hmmmm, I am intrigued. So the dedicated & fanatical researcher calls the clubs, who in the interests of a computer game emails over a copy of their employees salaries? :lol::lol: Ok,thanks for clearing that up for me.

I wouldn't be so cynical if I were you. They know their stuff. The lead developer knew Bryson had signed his contract before a few days before it was announced. The local press didn't even have a whiff of a scent, did they?

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmmm, I am intrigued.  So the dedicated & fanatical researcher calls the clubs, who in the interests of a computer game emails over a copy of their employees salaries?  :lol:  :lol:  Ok,thanks for clearing that up for me.

The researchers are generally the type of fan that goes to every game, home and away, watches the youth teams regularly, chats  to coaches if they get a chance and so on.  In terms of player positions, ability etc (i.e. the stuff that you can see with your own eyes), they're usually pretty good - I'd certainly trust the FM attributes over a few random clips on YouTube, for example.  The wages probably aren't exactly accurate, they'll have come from local media reports - but I'd say we have a rough idea what most of our players here are on (or at least we know roughly what the salary range at the club is, and where players are likely to fall within it), and the wages given in FM will be at least as accurate as that.

The data is so good that SI have sold the database to clubs and last year..ProZone, can't be that bad if Everton bought the rights a few years back and are using it.

Anyway, I have posted on the SI forum to ask the question of how researchers come up with the salary figures

Hughes is would be classed as inexperienced yet he's calmer than Eustace.

Experience just means doing something lots of times. Doesn't mean good at it.

You can't moan at people for questioning the signing either otherwise what's the point of the thread/forum.

As a Derby player I'll support him and he gets a fresh start.

I didn't want Best but ended up sticking up for him.

I just don't rate him or any Leeds players apart from Antenucci. Can't change that just because he's changing the logo on his shirt.

How many people rated Warnock 2 days ago?

Certainly not writing him off for Derby as he hasn't kicked a ball for us yet.

Hughes is would be classed as inexperienced yet he's calmer than Eustace.

Experience just means doing something lots of times. Doesn't mean good at it.

You can't moan at people for questioning the signing either otherwise what's the point of the thread/forum.

As a Derby player I'll support him and he gets a fresh start.

I didn't want Best but ended up sticking up for him.

I just don't rate him or any Leeds players apart from Antenucci. Can't change that just because he's changing the logo on his shirt.

How many people rated Warnock 2 days ago?

Certainly not writing him off for Derby as he hasn't kicked a ball for us yet.

I think we're parking our cars in the same garage on this one.

The researchers are generally the type of fan that goes to every game, home and away, watches the youth teams regularly, chats  to coaches if they get a chance and so on.  In terms of player positions, ability etc (i.e. the stuff that you can see with your own eyes), they're usually pretty good - I'd certainly trust the FM attributes over a few random clips on YouTube, for example.  The wages probably aren't exactly accurate, they'll have come from local media reports - but I'd say we have a rough idea what most of our players here are on (or at least we know roughly what the salary range at the club is, and where players are likely to fall within it), and the wages given in FM will be at least as accurate as that.

In that case Albentosa is absolutely **** because I did a scouting report on him as Derby, second season, first in the PL and his rating came back as 1 star.

I just think it's an unnecessary signing at this point, given that our recent success has been built on a reasonably-sized, tight-knit squad in which everyone has a role. We have the right blend of exciting young talent and experienced professionals already. We have experienced professionals in the camp in Barker, Naylor, Eustace, Bent, Grant and Whitbread already.

Unless he's a remarkable improvement on what we already have and will usurp Forsyth, I just don't see the point in bringing in a 33-year-old to play second fiddle on what will undoubtedly be a comparatively handsome wage, when Naylor is already here waiting in the wings similarly experienced and probably cheaper too.

I just don't see where he fits in, personally. Why would he leave his role as captain and first-choice left back at Leeds to sit on the bench here? And if he's not joined to sit on the bench, where does that leave Forsyth?

Forsyth is by no means the perfect left back but he has served us well so far and while we're in the Championship, he fits the bill and to have that continuity is nice.  I know the team has to evolve but I just think it's a dangerous game to play and you only have to look at what happened in our last promotion campaign to suspect that it could wobble the apple-cart having to juggle so many first-team players and fit in so many fresh faces.

Again you could understand it if this were a player with something to offer in the future or someone who could potentially step up if we're promoted, but Warnock is someone in the final throws of his career.

Fair play to McClaren if Warnock comes in and does the business. He's proven me wrong before.

To answer these points -

"We have experienced professionals in the camp in Barker, Naylor, Eustace, Bent, Grant and Whitbread already"

Barker hasn't played in 2 years

Naylor isn't an ideal replacement or he'd have played more games & he's sausage going forward

Bent will struggle to oust Chrissy Martin

Whitbread is 4th choice (potentially 5th when Albentosa arrives) centre back

That leave Grant & Eustace our only onfield 'talkers', we need more experience

"I just don't see the point in bringing in a 33-year-old to play second fiddle on what will undoubtedly be a comparatively handsome wage, when Naylor is already here waiting in the wings similarly experienced and probably cheaper too."

See above, we need more experience and cover good cover at left back.  Warnock provides both those, Naylor only provides one and it's the former.

"Why would he leave his role as captain and first-choice left back at Leeds to sit on the bench here?"

They need him off their wage bill to try and reduce the FFP short fall. 

Also, how can you say he'll be on the bench?  Forsyth has played constantly for 2 years, for all we know the stats Schteve and the performance analysts show he's dropped off 15% and he needs resting?  Plus they'll probably be relegated with or without him :lol:

"you only have to look at what happened in our last promotion campaign to suspect that it could wobble the apple-cart having to juggle so many first-team players and fit in so many fresh faces."

This is always a concern but those who've listened to an interview with Chris Evans on the Derby podcast will know him, Schteve, and the rest of the management team know exactly what they're doing and will not have made the move without knowing his character and his ability to fit it.  They have detailed files of players they can make a move for in every position in the team, he might not be the top of the list but he'll be near the top i'm sure. 

"Again you could understand it if this were a player with something to offer in the future or someone who could potentially step up if we're promoted, but Warnock is someone in the final throws of his career."

We have to get promoted first.  Plus I don't see players like Dean Marney & Richard Dunne doing too badly this season.

In that case Albentosa is absolutely sausage because I did a scouting report on him as Derby, second season, first in the PL and his rating came back as 1 star.

The star ratings in FM factor in your own players as well (it's a comparison of how good a player is compared to the rest of your squad).  IIRC, Albentosa is rated CA125 in FM, which is a top level championship player.

The star ratings in FM factor in your own players as well (it's a comparison of how good a player is compared to the rest of your squad).  IIRC, Albentosa is rated CA125 in FM, which is a top level championship player.

I know. But I'm saying that I scouted him purely out of interest just after I'd gone up. I still had my Championship defence and he was rated 1 star, so the FM ratings can sometimes be wrong.

For example now in my third season Berahino is rated 600k at Watford in the Championship,

Ratings can indeed be wrong as they are down to the individual researcher to interpret but the player information is considered to be top notch, hence the prozone deal

I've watched An Alternative Reality, the FM documentary and a researcher they followed for the day was at Moor Farm to analyse Will Hughes.  For a lot of things they use the clubs own data so it's pretty accurate...

Archived