Tony Pulis' Hat II

Duracell

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, Alpha said:

Pundits (again) on the return of Hernandez

"That's what Hull need, a genuine goal threat"

I think it's great that they help us understand this game. 

When was the last pundit to explain different ways teams create angles or how you get 11 blokes to get in positions where the ball can't be threaded between them? I tend to play on my phone during these state the obvious pundit sessions or when they're explaining how a CB would have won the ball if he was stood somewhere else.

I appreciate it's not Hannibal winning the battle of Cannae but it would actually be an insight.

"I'm sure xxx will be pleased to get that win"

"They'll take confidence from that."

"It's a great first touch"

"He shouldn't be diving in there"

ffs, some of us have been watching football for 20,30,40,60,80 years. We know what a good pass looks like. We know goals win you games. Why are you getting paid to tell us what we know. 

Tell us stuff we don't know. Help us appreciate the brains involved. I can see for myself that he just ran past that guy using his pace. Or that he shouldn't have kicked it there. 

Last time I saw it was Thierry Henry in the World cup. He broke down the Italian team. What this player does when that player does this. You know, actually showed how much organisation goes into football at this level. Then you have some numpty next to him saying some team "wanted it more"

Unless you're going to bring out a wantsitmostometer then stfu

Sometimes feel like pundits are there to make the sofa fan feel like an expert.

"You know what Mr Shearer, I thought exactly the same thing" Bob says to his 4K curved tele, as he brushes the Dorito crumbs from off his beer gut.

12 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Sometimes feel like pundits are there to make the sofa fan feel like an expert.

"You know what Mr Shearer, I thought exactly the same thing" Bob says to his 4K curved tele, as he brushes the Dorito crumbs from off his beer gut.

have you been spying on my living room? 

"We circle him here. Look at the time he's got!"

It's a paused video, Alan?

"He missed lots of chances"

did he? I watched the whole game and didn't notice. Show me again Alan.

Ah! So he did. What did he do wrong Alan

"He's got to get over that. He's leaning back" 

This! This is why I'm not in football. This is all mind blowing stuff. Please, go on

"Here again, he picks it up on the right hand side and drives at the defenders."

My God! Did this happen? In the match I watched?

"He puts an excellent cross in the box.."

A "cross". Okay, I've noted it, Alan

"And it's a great finish. It's their lack of goals that have been a problem this year"

Whoa! Wait, go back. If they'd scored more goals... well now my imagination is running wild. What could my team do to get these goals? Is there anything we could do better?

"If they can bring in a natural scorer and tighten up that defence then they have a chance. But today, I just don't think they wanted it enough" 

Well, I think I'm ready to get involved in some coaching. You certainly earn your money Alan. 

I think it was the Secret Footballer who said in one of his books that pundits really only scratch the surface in their analysis just to avoid rocking the boat on the boring cliches.

Like conceding from corners because you didn't have men on the posts. Gross oversimplification of the truth. Or as @Alphasays, the old "wanted it more" cliche.

It's all about making television that people want to watch. SF reckons that if they started actually using their expertise to explain what's happening, people might feel like they're being lectured and/or feel threatened by the knowledge of a man who is bound to know more than you about the game, having played it himself.

I suppose it's a bit like when you're discussing something with a group of mates and they start talking crap about something that perhaps you do for a job or just as a hobby and you're tempted to give them a "well....TECHNICALLY, the way it really works is blah blah blah....". But whenever you do that, they never go "oh okay, I understand now, thanks for the info". They're more likely to think you're a knowitall and imagine that you think you're better than them because you know something they don't. It's generally easier in those cases to just ignore it and leave them with their ignorance. Football punditry is similar.

Like @Leicester Ram says, people want to feel like experts in their own home. If the real experts made their opinions look silly...well that's not entertaining television is it? It would be for me, maybe for many of us, but most football fans don't want to learn new things about the game or expand their understanding of what they're seeing. They want to be left in their ignorance.

The obsession with referees... Why are they always in the media in England? 

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/38549470

It's getting to the stage now where your average football fan can probably name more Premier League referees (by name) than say Hull City's strongest XI.

'We didn't lose today because of a lack of prolificacy infront of goal... No, we lost because the referee marked 13 yards for a freekick rather than 10!'

'I wasn't sure on the referee today. I mean, he got the offside decision correct but he delayed blowing his whistle by three seconds and that made all the difference'

'The added time was a joke. The referee put the board up showing a minimum of four minutes. Look when the opposition scored. Four minutes and 11 seconds. I've never seen a worse decision in my life!'

Seriously... What is going on with the English game? Refs are becoming like celebrities. 'Ref Watch'... Clattenburg could go to China! Mike Dean is arrogant and refused to eat Turkey at Christmas! Michael Oliver has got a new haircut! Anthony Taylor is one of the best... At blowing his whistle! Martin Atkinson is a big-game referee!'

Feck off....!!

4 hours ago, Tombo said:

I think it was the Secret Footballer who said in one of his books that pundits really only scratch the surface in their analysis just to avoid rocking the boat on the boring cliches.

Like conceding from corners because you didn't have men on the posts. Gross oversimplification of the truth. Or as @Alphasays, the old "wanted it more" cliche.

It's all about making television that people want to watch. SF reckons that if they started actually using their expertise to explain what's happening, people might feel like they're being lectured and/or feel threatened by the knowledge of a man who is bound to know more than you about the game, having played it himself.

I suppose it's a bit like when you're discussing something with a group of mates and they start talking crap about something that perhaps you do for a job or just as a hobby and you're tempted to give them a "well....TECHNICALLY, the way it really works is blah blah blah....". But whenever you do that, they never go "oh okay, I understand now, thanks for the info". They're more likely to think you're a knowitall and imagine that you think you're better than them because you know something they don't. It's generally easier in those cases to just ignore it and leave them with their ignorance. Football punditry is similar.

Like @Leicester Ram says, people want to feel like experts in their own home. If the real experts made their opinions look silly...well that's not entertaining television is it? It would be for me, maybe for many of us, but most football fans don't want to learn new things about the game or expand their understanding of what they're seeing. They want to be left in their ignorance.

Petri Pasanen, who made his career playing for Ajax and Bremen, was pundit for Finnish telly during the Euro 2016. And what he did was something I've never witnessed! He analysed games very very well indeed, raised some key points and mistakes etc..proper video analytic! I found it extremely pleasant to watch, sometimes I waited half-times more than the game itself!

And I wasn't the only one, he got lot of positive feedback. And that we finns don't like to do at all.

Hopefully he'll make his pundit debut in UK too. Makes watching games very much more entertaining. Only downside is hurrying to fridge during half-time...

On 1/8/2017 at 00:24, Leicester Ram said:

Also, Manish Bhasin, professional charisma vacuum.

Did you see he had to have a little dig at us on Saturday?  "Good win for Derby, despite being the 2nd lowest scorers in the Championship this season"  F*** off you bin-dipping c***!!!

11 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Did you see he had to have a little dig at us on Saturday?  "Good win for Derby, despite being the 2nd lowest scorers in the Championship this season"  F*** off you bin-dipping c***!!!

didn't realise he was still on the tellybox! Oh, hang on, FA Cup is on Beeb isn't it!

10 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

The obsession with referees... Why are they always in the media in England? 

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/38549470

It's getting to the stage now where your average football fan can probably name more Premier League referees (by name) than say Hull City's strongest XI.

'We didn't lose today because of a lack of prolificacy infront of goal... No, we lost because the referee marked 13 yards for a freekick rather than 10!'

'I wasn't sure on the referee today. I mean, he got the offside decision correct but he delayed blowing his whistle by three seconds and that made all the difference'

'The added time was a joke. The referee put the board up showing a minimum of four minutes. Look when the opposition scored. Four minutes and 11 seconds. I've never seen a worse decision in my life!'

Seriously... What is going on with the English game? Refs are becoming like celebrities. 'Ref Watch'... Clattenburg could go to China! Mike Dean is arrogant and refused to eat Turkey at Christmas! Michael Oliver has got a new haircut! Anthony Taylor is one of the best... At blowing his whistle! Martin Atkinson is a big-game referee!'

Feck off....!!

Nothing wrong with the English game. It's the media and pundits that are to blame.

The word "meltdown". I don't think there's another word as annoyingly overused - and misused - in the spoken and written form of Football English.

Literally one or two negative tweets gets described as a meltdown. Or one nutter on a message board going off on one proves that a set of fans are "having a meltdown."

The whole thing feeds into the click bait websites like GiveMeSport.

"Arsenal fans have MELTDOWN on twitter after Gary Neville had THIS to say about young Gunners winger".

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, KentRam said:

Another cracker from Danny Murphy on MOTD the other night. Talking about Glyfi Sigurdsson...

"He loves scoring goals".

I like to think that had I made it as a pro footballer I'd buck the trend and hate scoring goals. Goals? Overrated.

"celebrate" every goal scored as if it was an own-goal. Fall to the ground and hold your head in your hands, shocked at what you've just done.

Or go full Ketsbia and kick the s*** out of everything. 

Archived