John Eustace

DcFc Dyycheee

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If signing him gives us a better chance of sealing a victory, pushing for a late winner or even equalising late on, which I think it could... I'm all for it.

Three Johns though?....

He was always supposed to have a good 'engine' - so if he gets a new lease of life at Derby, we can always sing "Ello, John - got a new mow-AH?"

Just gives us more options in midfield for very cheap, if we play 4-3-3 (which I hope we do), it gives us Hendrick, Hughes, Bryson, Coutts, Davies and Eustace to rotate as and when they are needed to and having somebody like him with his experience can only be beneficial

I'm all for this providing he's cheap (would be unhappy if we splurged most of our spare wages on, potentially, a bit part player) and he doesn't hold back the development of Hughes, Hendrick or Bryson.

It will (hopefully) give Nigel more flexibility when it comes to away games. Perhaps with a proper defensive midfielder he'd set us up 4-1-3-2 or a 4-2-3-1 instead of the rubbish 4-5-1.

dont worry I do it all the time with players who were here on loan under Burley and under Brown!

I remember it vividly cos I thought it stunk as a plan by Jewell. I know first hand that Oakley was shocked by his treatment by Jewell and he felt that he was a scapegoat and lingering connection to Davies that Jewell wanted rid of. I liked Oakley. I liked his conduct, his attitude, his temperament and I'd love for an equivalent to be here now.

Agreed, I wouldn't have got rid of Howard either, though he was struggling. At least he had the stomach for the fight. No doubt Oakley was a better midfielder than Savage, I really rated him. An Oakley of 2007 would be a big boost for our side, but would cost a fair amount so no chance of that happening.

As for Savage, the point I was trying to make was the following season I think we would have been relegated again had he not been there. He wasn't a great player, but pulled the team up from the boot straps when things looked very bleak.

dont worry I do it all the time with players who were here on loan under Burley and under Brown!

I remember it vividly cos I thought it stunk as a plan by Jewell. I know first hand that Oakley was shocked by his treatment by Jewell and he felt that he was a scapegoat and lingering connection to Davies that Jewell wanted rid of. I liked Oakley. I liked his conduct, his attitude, his temperament and I'd love for an equivalent to be here now.

Any why are you so utterly convinced that Eustace is not that equivalent?

If Eustace can play centre half I would have him in the team. An excellent passer and reader of the game. Would help our playing out from the back style and would be an experienced head.

This could possibly be a bit of a master stroke from Mr Clough. Let me think, buy an older midfielder, covert him to a centre half and let him boss the side. Who does that remind me of?

If Eustace can play centre half I would have him in the team. An excellent passer and reader of the game. Would help our playing out from the back style and would be an experienced head.

Does anyone know how many championship games Eustace has played at CH?  Nigel seems to like our CHs to be headers and kickers, so I don't get this CH link at all.  However, he does have a reputation as a 'players player' and it could be worth having his experience around the first team squad. 

Intersting that Nigel didn't include Sean Barker as one of the ones we have who is over 30.

Does anyone know how many championship games Eustace has played at CH? Nigel seems to like our CHs to be headers and kickers, so I don't get this CH link at all. However, he does have a reputation as a 'players player' and it could be worth having his experience around the first team squad.

Intersting that Nigel didn't include Sean Barker as one of the ones we have who is over 30.

Think it was a throwaway comment. He can't play centre back.

For someone to sit on the bench and play their part in gritty games away from home then I would have him. I think the deal is more about keeping him happy than us, just like Ben Davies he is an experienced good pro and from the bench would add something in 'certain' games.

Not the most exciting signing in the world but he has a a duty to play and a role to fill - could make 5/10 points difference come the end of the season.

He won't be first eleven, that's for sure. People have always been complaining about a lack of depth.. and yet this is exactly what this signing is.

Decent move, we could probably find worse, a lot worse, but I can't help but think wages might be a problem..

I've never complained about lack of depth. I've complained about playing 4 central midfielders when only 2 are in central midfield. I also complained that Bailey was farmed out, I think he offers something different, has the composure on the ball and is calm and collected! I have complained about reluctance to rotate and blood new players -except when necessary!

People harp on about Clough bringing youngsters through, but they only got games cos they were the only option!

We don't need Eustace. Bailey is a better player and younger, fitter and still improving, and possibly cheaper wages wise.

Archived