John Eustace

DcFc Dyycheee

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When a game is tight and we are under the cosh last season we had nobody with the ability to think in midfield. Someone who didn't panic. Someone to keep the ball and find his man. He could be a good asset to help our youngsters. If he trains and he is better than the others he plays. If he isn't better he's on the bench. What's the problem?

I might be wrong but isn't he a holding midfielder? I thought next season we were going for 4-3-3 formation with Hughes, Hendrick and Bryson?

I wouldn't have Eustace over any of those 3, and you've got Coutts for back up as well?

Unless in away games we got for a 4-1-3-2 and Eustace would sit infront of the back four?

Will be great signing if he joins. Ran the game when we jammed a 1-0 at Watford couple of years back. Would be great to have the experience and he offers something different to our other midfielders. You could even say he complements them. Clough obviously wants him, it must be very likely that he joins. The Watford fans seem to like him too. Get in.

lol told you, its to make up the numbers so Rush can say yes we did get 6 players in over the summer, I kept my part of the bargain....overlooking the fact that 2 already played for us and another looks like is going to arrive with their zimmer frame in tow...

Yawn.

Nobody took the bait the first time you posted it, so have another go.

Not surprised you have managed to turn this into a dig at Sam Rush. After all it is not like NC has been after Eustace for a long time.

He had his chance. Tell him to bugger off.

Besides we wanted Eustace because we needed an experienced calm influence in midfield and so Hendrick wasn't over played.

Hughes is everything Eustace could hope to be

Hendrick is now a pretty experienced player

Nah

lol Now I didnt expect people to take me literally :) Maybe we can get back Dean Holdsworth playing up front at the same time lol

I'd prefer Pesch

Henry Newton or Bruce Rioch. Seriously Eustace is the man

Is he our 'missing piece'?

Like Bale is Tottenham's 'missing link'?

. Think out the box lol he offers us something different our midfield is a bit light weight at times

Fair point. The biggest thug at Derby is that terrible bully Jamie Ward.

Although a Forest fan will tell you how much of a brute Will Hughes was when we hacked 'em to defeat...

Gerrimin.

Our midfield is still fairly lightweight and is susceptible to exhaustion (Hendrick and Hughes are good examples). Wouldn't expect he'll start much, which having read the DT article is a bit strange as he turned a player/coach contract at Watford as he wants to play games. 

He'd add some much needed testicles to our midfield, especially away from home. Could have done with him steadying the game away at Sheff Weds when they made it 2-1. Would be good to bring on either once Hughes has done some damage and we have a lead to protect, or when Bryson is knackered.

If his wages are fairly low, I can't see a downside.

We need cover for midfield. There is going to be injuries as always and when the cards add up we are going to need midfielders. Also Eustace would add up in experience. As I understand he is a team player too.

Oh my days, I feel a bit faint here! This would cancel out all the good feeling generated by signing Johnny Russell in my opinion.

Yet you'll likely be one of many including me who complain when we throw away points away from home!

He's perfect to bring on slow down the tempo and put his foot on the ball. You need experience in midfield

We don't need to slow things down, we need the manager to stop ordering our players to be behind the ball and hoof it into the corner with 20 minutes to go. Experience counts for nothing when you're on the back-foot and the opposition just pass it around you whilst you're shuffling backwards.

Experience is a vital thing to have in and around the club - and at the moment we have very little.

To an extent Eddie, but then again, you're experienced, as is Nigel himself, why don't you or Nigel play? Yes, i'm being facetious and it is about balance, but ability over experience any day of the week for me. I'd rather have Hughes or Hendrick in than Savage. I'd rather have O'Brien in than Andy Todd. I genuinely believe that experience also brings fear. Sometimes youthful arrogance (lack of fear) can do a team a world of wonders.

When a game is tight and we are under the cosh last season we had nobody with the ability to think in midfield. Someone who didn't panic. Someone to keep the ball and find his man. He could be a good asset to help our youngsters. If he trains and he is better than the others he plays. If he isn't better he's on the bench. What's the problem?

I think the problem is that the instuction is to hold back, don't advance beyond the ball and hoof it into the corner. You could have the best midfielders in the world and you're still going to struggle! "Thinking" would not be a advantage when there are no options. 

Quite like this signing.

Nasty hard man In middle of park we need to supplement young lads. Sort you need to show the youngsters how to see a lead out. ie experience. OUR NEW DAVE MACKAY. Lol

Dave Mackay was one of the best players in World Football. I truly hope you were typing that 'tongue-in-cheek'. I'd rather have Matt Oakley back.

Gerrimin.

Our midfield is still fairly lightweight and is susceptible to exhaustion (Hendrick and Hughes are good examples). Wouldn't expect he'll start much, which having read the DT article is a bit strange as he turned a player/coach contract at Watford as he wants to play games. 

He'd add some much needed testicles to our midfield, especially away from home. Could have done with him steadying the game away at Sheff Weds when they made it 2-1. Would be good to bring on either once Hughes has done some damage and we have a lead to protect, or when Bryson is knackered.

If his wages are fairly low, I can't see a downside.

He wouldn't have made a difference in the Sheff Weds games. They'd have just passed it past him whilst he was backing off. he didn't help our "backs to the wall" tactics a few years ago, so why would he now he's older and slower?

Oh my days, I feel a bit faint here! This would cancel out all the good feeling generated by signing Johnny Russell in my opinion.

We don't need to slow things down, we need the manager to stop ordering our players to be behind the ball and hoof it into the corner with 20 minutes to go. Experience counts for nothing when you're on the back-foot and the opposition just pass it around you whilst you're shuffling backwards.

To an extent Eddie, but then again, you're experienced, as is Nigel himself, why don't you or Nigel play? Yes, i'm being facetious and it is about balance, but ability over experience any day of the week for me. I'd rather have Hughes or Hendrick in than Savage. I'd rather have O'Brien in than Andy Todd. I genuinely believe that experience also brings fear. Sometimes youthful arrogance (lack of fear) can do a team a world of wonders.

I think the problem is that the instuction is to hold back, don't advance beyond the ball and hoof it into the corner. You could have the best midfielders in the world and you're still going to struggle! "Thinking" would not be a advantage when there are no options. 

Dave Mackay was one of the best players in World Football. I truly hope you were typing that 'tongue-in-cheek'. I'd rather have Matt Oakley back.

He wouldn't have made a difference in the Sheff Weds games. They'd have just passed it past him whilst he was backing off. he didn't help our "backs to the wall" tactics a few years ago, so why would he now he's older and slower?

Bit harsh.

If we were signing him as a lynchpin to our midfield I'd understand your trepidation but as a back up to the existing team I think it's a good addition.

Also, if we're going to sign him now, thus allowing him a full pre season with the squad, it's a bit off to dismiss him based on the handful of games he played for us on loan. How many players come in to paper over the cracks for 9 games and are fantastic?

Put it this way, (IMO) he's much better in his position than our back up midfielders at the moment.

Dont understand the hysteria on this one. He's coming for a couple of weeks without any commitment on either side so we can have a look at him. Whats to be lost by doing that? He could be a handy asset and on the other hand, if they dont like the look of him he can move on elsewhere. All of these posts pointing out that we have a stable and effective centre midfield are fine when everyone is fit. To be successful you have to think beyond an 11 man game and have options for a variety of scenarios. Has to be worth a look at on a free.

Bit harsh.

If we were signing him as a lynchpin to our midfield I'd understand your trepidation but as a back up to the existing team I think it's a good addition.

Also, if we're going to sign him now, thus allowing him a full pre season with the squad, it's a bit off to dismiss him based on the handful of games he played for us on loan. How many players come in to paper over the cracks for 9 games and are fantastic?

Put it this way, (IMO) he's much better in his position than our back up midfielders at the moment.

May seem harsh, but it's my honest feeling. I think he would end the statement about improvement. He was ineffective as a Clough player, so will be again. NINE games is enough to judge someone, we have players who played less and are judged harshly, such as Doyle, Tyson, Maguire etc going back as far as Blatsis (who makes many people's Worst XI!.

The statement of intent sent out when signing someone exciting and upcoming like Russell, would be 'negated' in my opinion by filling the squad with another 'has-been/never-gonna-be'. Eustace is just a nothing player. Fair dos, he's made a good career for himself, but he's never achieved much.

When talking about experience, we need someone who has experienced success, not just experienced football.

I'd rather pay the extra and bring Danny Murphy in.

If anyone was thinking Eustace wouldn't be a worthy addition then knowing Motsyn is against it should definitely change your mind!

If Clough has ever said "get behind the ball and hoif it into corners" then it would only be because we lacked an experienced calm head in the middle to hold the ball for a while.

Your ability vs experience argument obviously ignores all the shades of grey inbetween. As if players can be judged solely on these two binary factors.

Would you rather have a 30yr old player who had won multiple trophies at the highest level, or an unproven 16 yr old with marginally better natural ability?

Archived