John Eustace

DcFc Dyycheee

Criticise the opinion, not the poster.

Fair point. Perhaps we should all agree with each other on here, what sparkling debate that would propagate. If there was some rationale behind such a sweeping comment as my opinion is worthless then I would be a bit more inclined to be receptive to the comment.

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fact it's a forum based on personal opinion makes it his right doesn't it? Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't have said it but then I wouldn't brag about my IQ either............Would you?

Haven't we done this nonsense before? 

Same thing happened to me once with my bowling average. I was, well, bragging I suppose, about my league average a long time ago, thrilled that I had finally broken past 190. The person I was crowing to turned out to be an England international called Del Delany. He was very polite about it.

Criticise the opinion, not the poster.

Exactly. The only time I would accept people directly having a go at a poster and poster alone is the point where they use themselves as the point of an appeal to authority or when they are being openly racist.

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it

I agree with you 100%. But I like to read threads and debates that don't revolve around 1-2 people's certain agendas and often ludicrious ideas This thread had just become everyone disagreeing with Motsyn about something that was willfully overly exaggerated to suit his own opinions.

It gets rather boring. If this sort of thing happened in real life, I would simply avoid them. Or move seats if it was at a game. Unfortnately, I don't have that luxury on a forum. At least Bris posts 1 wind up then refuses to debate back when challenged!

Exactly. The only time I would accept people directly having a go at a poster and poster alone is the point where they use themselves as the point of an appeal to authority or when they are being openly racist.

The quote I took exception to was saying that my opinion is worthless which is a personal criticism of my ability to formulate a coherent argument about any matter on here, that is a personal criticism so shouldnt have been stated in the first place. I replied to that so am just as bad in my response as the original poster, hands up to that one.

I agree with you 100%. But I like to read threads and debates that don't revolve around 1-2 people's certain agendas and often ludicrious ideas This thread had just become everyone disagreeing with Motsyn about something that was willfully overly exaggerated to suit his own opinions.

It gets rather boring. If this sort of thing happened in real life, I would simply avoid them. Or move seats if it was at a game. Unfortnately, I don't have that luxury on a forum. At least Bris posts 1 wind up then refuses to debate back when challenged!

God made us all differently, what may seem ludicrous to yourself may seem perfectly rational to another person. You may get fed up of myself posting perceived negative comments, have you ever considered that sometimes there are folks whom by the same token get fed up of seeing wildly optimistic comments as well, think about that one. 

I envy you if you have been able to go through life so far by avoiding anyones opinion that deviates from your own, I havent found a method so far apart from living on a desert island or in a cave. 

God Random evolutionary mutations and basic genetic variation, together with environmental differences and influences made us all differently, what may seem ludicrous to yourself may seem perfectly rational to another person. You may get fed up of myself posting perceived negative comments, have you ever considered that sometimes there are folks whom by the same token get fed up of seeing wildly optimistic comments as well, think about that one. 

I envy you if you have been able to go through life so far by avoiding anyones opinion that deviates from your own, I havent found a method so far apart from living on a desert island or in a cave. 

FTFM

Hang on! So you'd rather face a WUM or Troll who may not actually believe what he or she is typing? Than face the prospect of someone being as equally convinced of their opinion as you are of yours?

I also think it is easy pickings to say Eustace signing may not work out, and use that 'i told you so' when the season starts.

I don't think he is the best signing, but I can see why we're signing him - but I also think there is a good chance it may not work out, and he'll end up struggling to make the bench (like Bailey and O'Connor) 

I said the same when we signed O'Connor.  

truth be told if it turns out Eustace signs the deal on the table from Watford, then how many of us would lose sleep? none I would care to bet. If he signs here, then I imagine that there will be people planting the seeds and from day one saying 'well, he isn't good enough' 

In this case, I tend to think he may not be good enough and my best hope for him is a bit part player that can do a job, but i'll back him until the sky turns green in hope he does come good. 

Archived