John Eustace

DcFc Dyycheee

Not the final piece, but he is a piece. 

He would have probably saved us a few points last season.

if we had Eustace and Grant last season, we would have made the Play-offs.

Am sure there are a plethora of other clubs who could say if only we didnt miss that penalty, have that goal disallowed for offside, not had so and so sent off thern we could have should have blah blah the league table doesnt lie we ended up in the position we did because we deserved to. 

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eustace will be useful in helping us close out games, whether he is the final piece in the Top 6 jigsaw is entirely another matter

What this really says to me is that Clough can't use Buxton to come on at 80 minutes (or "Buxton O'Clock" as its know round were I sit) and shut up shop, essentially because Sir Jake is now a first choice centre back

What this really says to me is that Clough can't use Buxton to come on at 80 minutes (or "Buxton O'Clock" as its know round were I sit) and shut up shop, essentially because Sir Jake is now a first choice centre back

Do you think that is a good or a bad thing

where i sit it's called buxton time and it has it's own theme music.

Eustace is exactly the kind of signing that turns 4 narrow away defeats (particularly when we've been ahead) into 4 narrow away wins. And by implication, the kind of signing that turns a top 10 team into a top 6 team.

Who on here was honestly that excited when we signed Van der Laan in 1995? I see definite parallels.

I also think having him around will help Hendrick's & Hughes' development. Sign him up.

He couldn't get near Watfords first team last year, I know he has injuries. Come on he isn't that good. If he comes on and we win then we will all be happy but your not telling me that the manager saying he is a player we can bring on when under the cosh for 15 mins is that insprining or exciting for the fans.

I finding winning games exciting, so yes it is.

- it didn't work when he was here last time though did it?

- er... it didn't work when he was here last time, did it?

I wouldn't expect someone with such a lack of intelligence to have spotted this, maybe you don't go to games, or maybe you're drunk at games, or maybe you leave with ten minutes to go to get out of the car park, or whatever, but it's not a lie to say that 90% of the times we've 'shut up shop' with 10, 15 or 20 minutes to go, we've failed! With better players than Eustace in the side, and/or with more experienced players in the side!

are you saying we don't normally tighten up a bit at the end? 

Clough had created the weakness in our play! We need much much better defenders than any we've had in the last 15 years to succeed at sitting back and defending.

I think you will find that that is a massive lie.

If Eustace is as good as people say he is, why aren't a load of clubs after him?

Hughes and Hendrick are WAY ahead of the peak of Eustace.

Like comparing Sammon and Russell. Both strikers, but completely different skill sets and get games for completely different reasons.

Like comparing Sammon and Russell. Both strikers, but completely different skill sets and get games for completely different reasons.

Fair point, but signing a player to chuck on to the pitch to hold a 1-0 win after 75 is a tad negative and will just invite pressure onto us.

Think Sammon could actually be used well from the bench to pressurise defenders and create opening, bit like what he did v Millwall. There was several times last season when he was out of his legs after 80 mins.

I do agree with what you're saying renegativity, but I always found it was the changing of formation which screwed us moreso than personnel. I.e. putting a third centre back on or whatever.

If Eustace is as good as people say he is, why aren't a load of clubs after him?

Hughes and Hendrick are WAY ahead of the peak of Eustace.

He won't start many games. Clough said this. Clough said Eustace accepts this. He'll probably play in the 6-8 toughest away games and come on as subs to close games we are winning. This is more positive than playing a CB there.  

He'll probably play in the 6-8 toughest away games and come on as subs to close games we are winning. 

lol being a bit optimistic arent we, that presumes we will WIN 6-8 away games which at the rate of last season means Eustace will be playing on his zimmer frame until he's 40 :)

John Eustace will be a calming influence in that our inexperienced (although getting more experienced by the season) team would benefit from someone who will bark out orders, tell them to keep the ball and if they can't keep the ball don't lose it somewhere daft. Someone to play it simple, spot when we are sitting too deep, be big enough (mentally) to lead on the pitch when the going gets tough. It's not about ability as such, although Eustace has enough without being spectacular, it's about mentality, metal toughness.

lol being a bit optimistic arent we, that presumes we will WIN 6-8 away games which at the rate of last season means Eustace will be playing on his zimmer frame until he's 40 :)

Your wrist slashing was a little too eager. He will play (ie start) in 6-8 of our toughest away games and (ie in addition to those starts) we will come on when we are winning games by a goal or two to close games down. Sorry to p1ss on your negative cornflakes.

Archived