John Eustace

DcFc Dyycheee

JOHN Eustace is set to feature for Derby County against Bristol Rovers tomorrow before the Rams plan to sit down and talk to the player.

The 33-year-old midfielder, a free agent, is spending pre-season with Derby and has played in the friendlies against Bohemians and Port Vale.

He has travelled with the squad to its training base in Devon ahead of the Bristol game.

“John will be involved at Bristol and we will, hopefully, sit down at the weekend or early next week and see what we can do,” said manager Nigel Clough.

“We know his value over the course of a season. He knows it is going to be extremely difficult to get a start with the midfielders we have but he is willing to come and give that challenge a go.

“At certain times over 40 to 50 games he will be vital for us.

“John comes into his own when you are under the cosh for the last 10 or 15 minutes of a game. He is ideal to use in that situation.”

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JOHN Eustace is set to feature for Derby County against Bristol Rovers tomorrow before the Rams plan to sit down and talk to the player.

The 33-year-old midfielder, a free agent, is spending pre-season with Derby and has played in the friendlies against Bohemians and Port Vale.

He has travelled with the squad to its training base in Devon ahead of the Bristol game.

“John will be involved at Bristol and we will, hopefully, sit down at the weekend or early next week and see what we can do,” said manager Nigel Clough.

“We know his value over the course of a season. He knows it is going to be extremely difficult to get a start with the midfielders we have but he is willing to come and give that challenge a go.

“At certain times over 40 to 50 games he will be vital for us.

“John comes into his own when you are under the cosh for the last 10 or 15 minutes of a game. He is ideal to use in that situation.”

Why does that ONE sentence anger me so much. It's just so backwards for me! It's regressive!

Why does that ONE sentence anger me so much. It's just so backwards for me! It's regressive!

There are two ways of looking at it, Mostyn. The way you did and the one where we expect to be winning after 75 or 80 minutes, the opposition are reduced to desperation tactics as their only possible way back into the game against what is still, by and large, a young, inexperienced team and throw extra bodies forward. An old head, prepared to put his foot on the ball and pick the right pass, could get us another goal and kill the game stone dead.

No idea why it angers you. It makes perfect sense to bring on an experienced player into an inexperienced side to preserve the result. I won't be angry if he comes on and does the job he needs to do. Far far from it.

Maybe it's because you prefer to see the negative in all things Nigel, maybe he was referring to a senario where we were 2-1 up away from home, the home team pressing for an equaliser, he could bring him on to help protect that lead, no ?

Relax, the sun's out and we're going up, ah tell thee.  ;)

What is wrong with guy? Should we be planning to go through the whole season without ever being under pressure in the last 10 minutes? How naïve would you have to be to think that. Even the best teams in the world protect leads at some points because they are under the kosh.

I don't mind negative posts, that are constructive and thought out. But mostyn seems to produce ***** pretty much every time he posts.

How many points could we have picked up over the last coupla seasons by tightening up a bit at the end?

Home game against Ipswich, away at Cardiff, and away at Hull spring to mind...

I'd be more worried if he way saying we have to play like that the whole game!

I can see what Mostyn is saying but having a player like Eustace and using him sparingly where a bit of nouse and experience may help us to preserve all three points is completely different to, say, throwing on a CB and sticking 5 at the back playing hoof ball.

There's an art to killing the game of by breaking up play and retaining possession.

Even the best sides in the world have options, which tighten things up when the going gets tough. No team in the world dominates for 90 minutes so it's sensible to have some experienced options to deal with sides who throw the kitchen sink at us if we're winning by a goal with 10 to go.

It's as much about the calming influence he can exert on the rest of the side with his presence. I think he'll prove invaluable for those tight situations where we need an old head.

To be fair I don't see many teams selling a potential new signing as someone who can come on for the last 15 when we are under the cosh.

Meh...

I think it's a sign of progress that we're signing a guy who's still pretty decent and telling everyone he's a bit part player... I think it shows the high standards we have in midfield now...

Meh...

I think it's a sign of progress that we're signing a guy who's still pretty decent and telling everyone he's a bit part player... I think it shows the high standards we have in midfield now...

He couldn't get near Watfords first team last year, I know he has injuries. Come on he isn't that good. If he comes on and we win then we will all be happy but your not telling me that the manager saying he is a player we can bring on when under the cosh for 15 mins is that insprining or exciting for the fans.

There are two ways of looking at it, Mostyn. The way you did and the one where we expect to be winning after 75 or 80 minutes, the opposition are reduced to desperation tactics as their only possible way back into the game against what is still, by and large, a young, inexperienced team and throw extra bodies forward. An old head, prepared to put his foot on the ball and pick the right pass, could get us another goal and kill the game stone dead.

- it didn't work when he was here last time though did it?

No idea why it angers you. It makes perfect sense to bring on an experienced player into an inexperienced side to preserve the result. I won't be angry if he comes on and does the job he needs to do. Far far from it.

- er... it didn't work when he was here last time, did it?

What is wrong with guy? Should we be planning to go through the whole season without ever being under pressure in the last 10 minutes? How naïve would you have to be to think that. Even the best teams in the world protect leads at some points because they are under the kosh.

I don't mind negative posts, that are constructive and thought out. But mostyn seems to produce ***** pretty much every time he posts.

I wouldn't expect someone with such a lack of intelligence to have spotted this, maybe you don't go to games, or maybe you're drunk at games, or maybe you leave with ten minutes to go to get out of the car park, or whatever, but it's not a lie to say that 90% of the times we've 'shut up shop' with 10, 15 or 20 minutes to go, we've failed! With better players than Eustace in the side, and/or with more experienced players in the side!

How many points could we have picked up over the last coupla seasons by tightening up a bit at the end?

Home game against Ipswich, away at Cardiff, and away at Hull spring to mind...

I'd be more worried if he way saying we have to play like that the whole game!

are you saying we don't normally tighten up a bit at the end? 

So Clough has seen a weakness in our play and is trying to address that weakness and he's being regressive?

Clough had created the weakness in our play! We need much much better defenders than any we've had in the last 15 years to succeed at sitting back and defending.

There's a different set of players at the club now Mostyn, surely even you can see that.

Your negativity is a shame, I'm not blinded by positivity, far from it but I can certainly see the logic behind it perhaps you should give it a go.

Archived