John Eustace

DcFc Dyycheee

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why are we rubbish away from home?

I've answered this and unsurprisingly, until people see it with their own eyes, they don't accept it to be true.

In modern football, people tend to divide the pitch into thirds (defensive third, middle third and attacking third) but that doesn't reflect the fact that many modern day coaches use sixths, and I've even heard of 9ths of the length of the pitch.

Now if you have the length of the pitch in sixths, you'll find at home, the formation and action areas would suggest the team is setup as 0-4-0-5-1-0 with Goalkeeper behind the left nought reading left-to-right. Away from home, the action areas would suggest the team is set up as 4-0-5-0-1-0. (I'm using the majority of the season where Ward (or A.N.Other) was out left and Sammon most advanced up front. If this was in thirds, it would look no different, 4.5.1.

But if I replace the numbers with letters:-

0-D-0-M-A-0

D-0-M-0-A-0

There are now bigger gaps from both Defence to Sammon, and Midfield to Sammon. This is why there is a difference between home and away.

I don't get why people say that Buxton's dispersion is horrific, if anything it was Keogh doing most of the hoofing last season (admittedly this is when Hughes was injured so none of the midfielders were there to collect the ball). 

I think we're getting off topic here by the way  :lol:

Watching us away from home week in week out is vastly different to Cloughs takes on games! Each time we enter their half we could've scored apparently.

Personally I though we'd concede in the first half. The opposition are then content to let us have the ball up to about forty yards from goal. We play it about sideways nicely without achieving much. This then gets translated into controlling the game!

I've answered this and unsurprisingly, until people see it with their own eyes, they don't accept it to be true.

In modern football, people tend to divide the pitch into thirds (defensive third, middle third and attacking third) but that doesn't reflect the fact that many modern day coaches use sixths, and I've even heard of 9ths of the length of the pitch.

Now if you have the length of the pitch in sixths, you'll find at home, the formation and action areas would suggest the team is setup as 0-4-0-5-1-0 with Goalkeeper behind the left nought reading left-to-right. Away from home, the action areas would suggest the team is set up as 4-0-5-0-1-0. (I'm using the majority of the season where Ward (or A.N.Other) was out left and Sammon most advanced up front. If this was in thirds, it would look no different, 4.5.1.

But if I replace the numbers with letters:-

0-D-0-M-A-0

D-0-M-0-A-0

There are now bigger gaps from both Defence to Sammon, and Midfield to Sammon. This is why there is a difference between home and away.

Perhaps the addition of Eustace might allow us to play 0-4-1-4-1-0 or variation there of in away games, allowing the defence to be a bit more protected and playing a higher line thus closing up the gaps... Thought of that?

Thing is we don't really know until the season has started. If Eustace starts 5-10 games and manages to be a calming influence off the bench when we're under pressure then it'll be a decent signing. If he has no impact we haven't really lost much and his inclusion could give the younger players a chance to rest up from time to time.

Perhaps the addition of Eustace might allow us to play 0-4-1-4-1-0 or variation there of in away games, allowing the defence to be a bit more protected and playing a higher line thus closing up the gaps... Thought of that?

Thing is we don't really know until the season has started. If Eustace starts 5-10 games and manages to be a calming influence off the bench when we're under pressure then it'll be a decent signing. If he has no impact we haven't really lost much and his inclusion could give the younger players a chance to rest up from time to time.

It's a good theory Rodley. Although I would say it would've been easier to just be more advanced away from home.

It's a good theory Rodley. Although I would say it would've been easier to just be more advanced away from home.

Don't you think the signing of Russel can help massively with that though Mostyn?

We've now got so much quality going forward and have an "advanced" 6 who offer a real threat, more importantly we have an advanced 6 who are all comfortable with the ball and who can all play fast incisive football. We can be threatening from any and all directions. The way we're looking to play as well will lead itself quite nicely to counter attacking. 

They all work hard without the ball as well which is going to make it tougher for the other side to get out of their own half.

I dare say, on our day, teams will be so worried about how to stop us, they'll be less likely to bomb forward. I think we're going to have more of those kind of days next season than we did this.

Buxton was our best centre back for me last season, how has he managed to fall to 4th?

I just don't get it - on last seasons viewing I would rather see Keogh replaced than Bucko, but both are decent enough. Barker is/was another level altogether, and I would perhaps argue so was Shackell!

I would like to see another good centre back brought in, however, but for Keogh as much as Buxton.

How long before notts ram trots out his 'fact'about Buxton is not a top six defender. I haven't read posts after this one yet so will laugh if he has said it again.

John Eustace is an incredible leader both on and off the pitch, and a calming voice in the dressing room. As a player he isn't afraid to take on his man, and while he may tackle a bit rougher than other players he certainly doesn't hold back.

Cheers for that review mate, but I'd rather listen to a guy who always attempts to paint Clough in a worse light as possible and who saw Eustace a couple of times whilst he was on loan here after he was injured.

We are trying to build something here. We have no need for the likes of Eustace and his leadership qualities and calming influence.

OK...you can tell me if you think my logic is corrupt or not.....I think that we will not finish in the Top 6 this season and the teams whom will (in my opinion) have not made any enquiries for Buxton yet ergo the centre halves they have are better than Buxton and making the dangerous assumption they will finish in the Top 6 means by default Buxton is not a Top 6 defender. QED. None of of these are facts by the way just by the same token you have no facts to prove that Buxton is a Top 6 defender. 

OK...you can tell me if you think my logic is corrupt or not.....I think that we will not finish in the Top 6 this season and the teams whom will (in my opinion) have not made any enquiries for Buxton yet ergo the centre halves they have are better than Buxton and making the dangerous assumption they will finish in the Top 6 means by default Buxton is not a Top 6 defender. QED. None of of these are facts by the way just by the same token you have no facts to prove that Buxton is a Top 6 defender.

Good work comrade. I'm actually from mensa and were just checking you weren't spouting random opinons as fact. Glad to see you already had the proof. Flawless.

Possibly but we won't know until it's tried out I guess. There's something amiss with our away from, the management have recognised it and are looking to do something about it. At least Clough has been proactive about it, Eustace may well only be part of the solution. Let's hope whatever they're doing works, I don't think it will require a great deal of improvement to be honest.

Brilliant signing, he will leed us to glory to the Premiership.

Seriously, this guy was dire before and now he's suddenly good enough for a team warranting a play off push? Unbelievable.

Shell we bring Lee Hendrie back too? He as a wealth of experience at the top, knows the club AND a free agent.

Good work comrade. I'm actually from mensa and were just checking you weren't spouting random opinons as fact. Glad to see you already had the proof. Flawless.

Why dont we just agree to disagree, you havent put forward any factual evidence to back up your claim but are quite content to deride my lack of perceived evidence. Tell you what, why dont you post your reasons why you think Buxton is a Top 6 defender then I can mock your absence of facts backing up that claim.

Or as a better idea why dont you post personal snipes instead. Oh sorry you've already done that, silly me. OK as an alternative why dont your regurgitate a comment I posted about 2 months ago for the next year ad nauseum. 

Brilliant signing, he will leed us to glory to the Premiership.

Seriously, this guy was dire before and now he's suddenly good enough for a team warranting a play off push? Unbelievable.

Shell we bring Lee Hendrie back too? He as a wealth of experience at the top, knows the club AND a free agent.

Laughable. Because it's a well-known fact that players just stay at the same quality all the way through their career, never improving or getting worse :rolleyes:

Archived