Best game you've been to for atmosphere

sage

at pride park? derby v boro. 97/98 maybe...... wanchope sent off.....crowd were brilliant. BALD EAGLES BARMY ARMY! we either won or drew as well.... felt like a victory.

The man Wanchope threw two punches at (and missed with both) that day is currently co-commentating the West Ham Man U game on ITV.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Leicester away 1975, think it was the last away game of the season, we were a few days away from winning the League - 12,000 Derby fans swamped Leicester, they couldn't fit us all in and people were jibbing in all over the ground. There was fighting in every stand.

OMG I was at so many of these games. I remember the Fester game in 1975 , pretty dull 0-0 draw I think but the thing I remember best is coming back on the M1 and Rams flags flying from all the cars.

League Cup replay, Derby 3 Chelsea 1 - the day that REAL noise first came to the Baseball Ground. Dave Mackay was utterly inspirational, and the Derby County rollercoaster ride started that night.

My first match - March 1st 1975 against Spurs.

1-0 down after about 10 mins, roaring back to win 3-1. Lee, George, Rioch (scored), Hector (scored)

Around 30,000-odd at the BBG....what a team that was, and what an atmosphere. was almost as thogh going one down didn't matter a jot, the noise and confidence simply bubbled around the place.

Agree with Rotherham and Sheff Utd away in the mid-late 80's... Rob Hindmarch header and a Phill Gee strike!

Anyone remember Newport at home Xmas '85?... 3 nil down with 15 minutes to play... White Christmas...!

All florist games are special, I was at the FA Cup game in '82 but din't really appreciate it - but this Friday night was something else...

I remember that game mate - was there with my christmas shopping stood on the popside. When we went 3-nil down I was so hacked off and cold i lit up my program to keep warm (being a smoker in them days had a lighter on me).

But that come-back was something else. Some of the christmas parcels looked a bit worse for wear come the 25th!

Woooaaaaa...Andy Andy....Andy Andy Andy Anday Garrrrrnnnnerrrrr........(etc)

There were about 2 taxis worth of Newport fans in the Osmaston Upper tier going bonkers for most of the match until that last quarter of an hour shut them up...

I know that we are all commenting on the low level of atmosphere at PP at the moment, but it was like that at the BBG too - even in those seasons that we had a side full of internationals and challenging at the top of the first division. There was one season when the ground was quiet for almost the whole season.

I have my own views on now - I don't think the economy helps; I think we are waiting to be entertained/win rather than making it happen; I think that the overall standard of football is good and getting better but generally not exceptional, by us and the opposition; people generally are more willing to complain now, in life and at football. I also think that will change when, not if, we start winning more regularly.

But back on topic - so many games I've seen in both home grounds and away, many mentioned already:

Sheffield Utd away, Phil Gee 'scoring goals for Derby, Phillip Gee, Phillip Gee'

The European nights - Madrid, Benfica, Juventus, but also others - the ground rocking

Spurs at home in the first season back - the biggest attendance at the BBG

Promotion on a Friday night against Rotherham

Chelsea in the league cup the season before when we were in Division 2

Southampton in the semi final of the play offs at PP

All the Reddogs games at the BBG or PP but the cup matches added something, especially when Brian and Peter had fallen out and Archie was back

Man Utd, especially in the Kris Commons match, but also 4-4 on Boxing Day at the BBG (Les Green's last)

and so on. Eranio and Biano and Wanchope in full flow. I could go on. And on.

There's nothing wrong with PP you know - as a stadium it can hold matches that generate as much atmosphere and noise as anything the BBG saw. It's not the ground but the people in it, watching football that excites us enough to get the vocal chords going. In unison. It's not only about standing or sitting (though I would still rather stand), it's being excited - and night matches, good players in a good match are always likely to encourage an atmosphere. Don't worry, it will return.

Has to be Derby 2-1 win over Forest with 10 men. Just the thought of 'Here we go again, after they'd beaten us 5-2 before.

But I went Liverpool v Everton last season, at Goodison Park, Everton being my second team, sat in the Gwladys end, absolutely fantastic atmospehere. 90 minutes of singing, and started about 15 minutes before kick off.

You seem to remember a lot of fights utch.Can you give us a WDL analysis/winning, losing runs/graphs,and whether you repented?

Ha ha, The guy with the sandwich board was protesting about football being played on a Sunday. It was one of the first sunday games i think.

I repented in 1982 ramb, when i got nicked at Swansea... 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />

Best atmosphere for me has to be Derby v Real Madrid. Though the games against Juventus and Benfica were pretty special. I always remember the whole of the BBG chanting 'Derby, Derby' whilst stamping there feet as hard as possible in the wooden stands

What a racket 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />. My mum said she could hear it as clear anything in Littleover

Best atmosphere for me has to be Derby v Real Madrid. Though the games against Juventus and Benfica were pretty special. I always remember the whole of the BBG chanting 'Derby, Derby' whilst stamping there feet as hard as possible in the wooden stands

What a racket 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />. My mum said she could hear it as clear anything in Littleover

Absolutely right there rsmini, there were too many to mention individually but some of those nights make the hairs on the back of the neck stand up just thinking of them.

There's nothing wrong with PP you know - as a stadium it can hold matches that generate as much atmosphere and noise as anything the BBG saw. It's not the ground but the people in it, watching football that excites us enough to get the vocal chords going. In unison. It's not only about standing or sitting (though I would still rather stand), it's being excited - and night matches, good players in a good match are always likely to encourage an atmosphere. Don't worry, it will return.

Absolutely agree with this, Just look at what noise around 1500 travelling fans made today because they were 'up for it'. Pride Park has the potential to be deafening if enough people sang. Imagine 5000 rams fans stood behind the goal singing away, it would be ridiculously loud.

Archived