Best game you've been to for atmosphere

sage

The FA Cup was massive then. It really mean't something to the fans and the clubs. In my view all clubs should be made to play their strongest first eleven or be banned from the cup - hate the way the Prem clubs treat cup games like they are pre-season matches not worthy of playing their best players in. I can remember Man Utd coming to the BBG in the FA Cup 5th round in 82/83 and being amazed at seeing stars like Whiteside, Stapleton etc in the flesh for the first time.

BBG : best atmosphere Derby v Real Madrid

PPS : best atmosphere Derby v Soton play off semi

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Home to Plymouth I think, to win the 2nd division in 1987. Despite being top we could lose the title to Portsmouth on the last day if they won and we lost. At half time we were losing and they were winning. 2nd half we scored 4, the 1st was a long range strike from Davison. The pop side went ballistic.

There was a 3-2 win over Arsenal in the Cox season where we finished 5th when English clubs were banned from Europe. Phil Gee scored a bicycle kick! The whole ground seemed to be singing "we're gonna win the league"!

BBG : best atmosphere Derby v Real Madrid

PPS : best atmosphere Derby v Soton play off semi

I was too young for the Real Madrid game but I agree with you re the play-off semi - amazing scenes at the end though I nearly got my head kicked in on the way back home after stopping at Watford Gap services. I walked into the building in my Rams shirt to find it full of Saints fans, all of 'em pissed off with the abuse they got during the pitch invasion by our lot!

I was too young for the Real Madrid game but I agree with you re the play-off semi - amazing scenes at the end though I nearly got my head kicked in on the way back home after stopping at Watford Gap services. I walked into the building in my Rams shirt to find it full of Saints fans, all of 'em pissed off with the abuse they got during the pitch invasion by our lot!

I was about 20 rows backs but was about the 5th person on the pitch. I set off down the steps before the ball was over the bar.

Same for me...the start of things to come. Haven't really had anything like it at Pride Park.......yet!

Trouble is,you need the WHOLE crowd to join in to replicate that!

3-3 v Sheffield Wednesday in a cup quarter final.

Shane Nicholson scored from about a mile out, gabby and kitson.

Paul warhurst got a late qualifier (and the only goal of the replay)

And he was a bloody centre half that had just converted to centre forward and was an absolute revelation!

Agree with Rotherham and Sheff Utd away in the mid-late 80's... Rob Hindmarch header and a Phill Gee strike!

Anyone remember Newport at home Xmas '85?... 3 nil down with 15 minutes to play... White Christmas...!

All florist games are special, I was at the FA Cup game in '82 but din't really appreciate it - but this Friday night was something else...

Archived