Best game you've been to for atmosphere

sage

It has to be Rams v Chelsea league cup Oct 1968,Birchenal scored early on for Chelsea, it was still 1- 0 with about 15 mins to go but with Mackay and the crowd roaring the Rams on we were hammering them, Dave Mackay scored first, then Alan Durban and the King put it to bed.A night never quite matched again for atmosphere, Imo.

I have seen all the great European cup nights Benfica ,Juventus , beating Spurs 8-2 ,Arsenal 5-0 etc but never have I been at a game with the atmosphere of that Chelsea cup match, if there was proof needed a crowd could win a football match this was the game.This was the night when they became a force to be reckoned with .

Sadly not on TV and not even a Radio Derby archive anywhere but the noise was incredible just a simple DERBY DERBY from all sides of the ground absolutely electric, never been in any other atmosphere at a match since. PP will never see the like unfortunately ,god I sound like my dad.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was a 3-2 win over Arsenal in the Cox season where we finished 5th when English clubs were banned from Europe. Phil Gee scored a bicycle kick! The whole ground seemed to be singing "we're gonna win the league"!

I think this is my nomination for best atmosphere at the BBG in the 25 years Ive been going.

Arsenal were top of the league and went on to win the league with the michael thomas at anfield goal.

For the record though it was 2-1 derby, not 3-2.

3-2 was against everton the following season with the goddard chip.

The other game which was amazing for atmosphere for me was the season before, we were struggling to stay up, and we managed to get a 1-1 draw with the mighty Liverpool, they had only lost 1 game all season going into that fixture.

First post on here.

But the league cup match against Chelsea in 1969 was the one for me. Night matches are always more atmospheric.

Great atmosphere especially with the chanting and stamping on the old Baseball Ground timbers. I was in the kids pen at the Normanton end; right at the front. I just about remember Mackay scoring with a shot from distance from the left as Derby were kicking towards the Osmaston End. Something like 15 minutes to go at the time I think.

Next round we had Everton; I think it was 0-0 at Goodison and 1-0 to the Rams in the replay. Alan Ball was playing that night, good player that he was he never got a kick - McGovern had him in his pocket all night.

All good things come to an end and I think it was Swindon that did for us; could be wrong - but in any case that season was our promotion up to the old First Division with a nine point advantage over Crystal Palace.

Great times to be a young supporter!

I keep saying that I wish that Der-by Der-by repeated over & over would start again. Everyone tends to join in all round the ground and the sound can be incredible.Haven't heard it for years.

You missed out the bang,bang,bang in the middle! When I suggested this,I was shot down by someone saying that the opposition replied with ****.Who cares what the opposition think of themselves? We should concentrate on getting behind our own team (and you should be able to drown them out anyway,especially as our chanting would get out of sync from stand to stand).

My very first exposure to real BBG atmosphere came in the early sixties v Sunderland,when I was in the boys' pen.Behind me,in Normanton stand,came a deafening 'Sunderlland,stamp,stamp,stamp,Sunderland' all match.Fair play to them.

Plymouth Argyle - Second Division Championship Day - 1987...

We were pants in the first half but came out firing in the second. Bobby Davison hit a screamer past Steve Cherry into the Normanton End goal and the party started.

You could hardly breathe on the Columbo End it was heaving! I was only 14 and, having fallen in love with a club struggling in the Third Division that was almost wound up, I thought that life couldn't get much better...

Oh how times have changed!

End of season games that really matter always spring to mind :

Rotherham in 1985 - needed the win to get promotion and the place went barmy after Trevor Christie scored that late (dubious) penno. The ref did us a favour there after Davison had been chopped down when clean through one stride from the penalty area. Resultant free kick went wide and then we got a penalty for 'a push' in the box.

Leeds & Plymouth the season after when we won the promotion and then the league. Always remember when we scored our fourth, all the Plymouth fans started chanting 'cheerio' to us, which has always meant I've had a soft spot for them since.

Millwall away in the playoffs - the most poisonous atmosphere I have ever witnessed.

Archived