Will Hughes

blackNwhites

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When you watch that you have to ask - how long before he moves to one of the big boys in the PL?   The lad is pure class - so much natural ability, he is going to be seriously good.  Irreplaceable? 

After the promotion next season it will take 3-4 years for us to be one of the big boys. So no need him to move anywhere. And no, I'm not B4 in disguise.

One thing I've noticed about Hughes is the amount of times he assists the assist. It backs up a previous post that mentioned he releases the ball so perfectly the receiving player's pass is already there on a plate. 

He'll be as good as Pirlo. 

I understand what ramsbottom is saying, there are a lot of 5 yard passes on the video that all players make regularly and are expected to make. Also a lot of quality shown. Will be key for us next season

Exactly my point. I'm not saying he's crap, average, indifferent, whatever. All I was trying to say is it could've been half as long and just as impactful.

He was the epitome of us at the start of the season. Young, talented and not afraid of anything. I've never enjoyed a season as much as the start of 12/13, but we really fizzled out towards the middle/end and I think losing Will or playing with an unfit Will was definitely a reason why. He was overplayed and it cost us in the end.

On his day he's the best player on the pitch, but it's not always his day due to his fitness. Hopefully he'll be working more on his fitness and there is the capability to have a decent longshot on him too.

Personally I loved the vid, the short passes and neat 1 2's just emphasis the control he instils on the match. He looks like the most composed player on the pitch, opposition players are chasing his shadow most of the time.

He's going to be a great player, he's not the stereo typical English player, hopefully he's 1 of the new breed. Technique over physique all the way now.

He's a gem. The only Derby player that is worth the price it costs to watch them. I get great satisfaction from watching these sort of players. The skill involved. The awareness and the weight control on the ball to make it easy as possible for a teammate. It's skilled. Spain play a simple game. Barcelona play a simple game. How many trophies between them?

I'd watch Hughes anywhere. I'd pay. Just like when Xavi plays I try to watch.

I know these lads at this level are good. Faster, stronger, smarter and more aware. But often I feel I could do what they do on a lower level. Percentage football. "Down the line" , "over the top" "put it in the mixer"..... It's barbarian English football.

But Hughes..... I couldn't do what he does. It's instinct. It looks simple because he makes it look like that.

Whatever level he ends up at he'll always have a unique style for a Brit. If he doesn't go on to big things then it's down to his attitude or his coaches. Or injury. At the minute he can go anywhere. He's young and gifted. Needs to channel that.

A skilled welder can make welding look easy. But truth is its easy to do a **** job!!!

Hughes makes it look easy.

As for what he's worth. Well you need to know the European market. But in comparison the other Brits I'd say he's worth quite a bit. That says more about our homegrown football than about Hughes though. But if we produced Will Hughes' like we produce thug CBs and pacy wingers and (not so much in our higher leagues nowadays) towering target men then England would be better than they are now

• 4 weeks later...

Even more of a gamble for Moyes would be delving into the talent pool outside of the Premier League. In Will Hughes' first full season at Derby County he has shown that he has what it takes to play at the very top. It is not often that players outside of England's top-flight catch the eye of Barcelona, but for Hughes, being watched by Europe's elite is something which he has been forced to become accustomed to over the course of the last two years. At 17, Hughes broke into Stuart Pearce's England under-21s set-up and he is now regarded as one of the hottest properties in English football on the back of his performances last season.

Always full of energy, the 18-year old has proved himself to be capable of occupying a number of midfield roles in the Championship - he can work as a box-to-box midfielder at the heart of every attack or he can operate just as effectively in a deeper role, controlling the pace of the game and picking out passes to start counter-attacks. He offers versatility and a balance between attack and defence; qualities which helped endear Paul Scholes so much to the United fans. Despite all of the promise, the step-up to the Premier League and European football at such an early age would be a huge jump for him, something which summer signing Wilfried Zaha will come under close scrutiny for in the coming weeks. Pinning their midfield hopes on Hughes would be an enormous risk for United, but signing him alongside the likes of Verratti or Modric could prove to be a masterstroke from Moyes and something which his side could reap the rewards of for years to come.

Alternatives to Cesc Fabregas - Sky Sports - http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11662/8841955/cesc-alternatives

It is true that Spain, Portugal and some of the Latin American nations do produce a much higher quantity of players with Will's type of ability - you just have to look at the U-21 side - Will would not get close to Spain's, Portugals etc at this point (which is OK as he is only 18) but if he plays regular next season I think he will establish himself in Englands next year.

The one thing Will does have though is that he is growing up in a more physical league - if he can continue to develop the way he is in the UK it will stand him in good stead as he will be much more adaptable than a lot of gifted players from Spain/Latin America, a huge number of players who are extremely gifted have come over here and failed because; despite the talent; they struggle with the pace and physicality - if a team does not play the way they like and the ref does not give a free kick for minimal contact (which is certainly the case in south america) they can have great difficulty adapting and that even includes a number of talented South American players who have gone to Spain.

I am not necessarily thinking of the guys who are clearly in the top 1-2%, your Iscos, Thiagos, Neymars etc, they would come here and do great but the 2nd/3rd tier players who are available in that 5-8m bracket do represent a risk to English clubs no matter how talented they are.

The problem is he is more likely to get injured as Wilshere has and that has hurt his development.

Archived