What Are You Listening To?

AndyB

6 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Just ordered my first vinyl setup. 

I pulled Dark Side of the Moon, Rumours and Songs in the Key of Life out of my Mum's loft, but other album recommendations would be appreciated!

How long is a piece of string

Maybe buy an album from a classic band from a range of genres post the one ones you listed

The Jam, The Specials, The Smiths, Stone Roses   

5 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I pulled Dark Side of the Moon, Rumours and Songs in the Key of Life out of my Mum's loft, but other album recommendations would be appreciated!

Has the Dark Side got a solid light blue triangle in the middle of the vinyl.  Careful if it has, could be 350-400 quid in good nick.

Beatles Revolver and Rubber Soul.  Only 'experts' mistakenly think Sgt Pepper was their best effort 

20 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Always liked Led Zep 2 and 4.  Soundgarden - Superunknown, Pearl Jam 10, Pulp- Different Class,  Charlatans - Some Friendly. Crosby, Stills and Nash first LP is basically California in the 60's on wax.  Rolling Stones - Beggars Banquet and Let it Bleed are worth a listen. 

Ziggy Stardust and Hunky Dory by Bowie are classics.  The Curtis Mayfield reissue from 2019 has the full version of Move on Up which everyone should have.  The Cure - Head on the Door.  

I've got loads depending on what you like as a base. You might love Jazz

Edited by Gee SCREAMER !!

9 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Some good listening there, here are three you might enjoy.  In 1990 I rented a couch from a fellow in Malmö Sweden.  We had little money but needed some music to play on my ghetto blaster cassette player, he chose Oh Mercy and I Full Moon Fever.  We played them nonstop in his flat.  Strange yet nice memories.

From the CSN album, I keep listening to this tune lately.  Stills is special.

Edited by ramit

9 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

You've got me on a nostalgic trip now.

In 1984 I was hired for a 4 month voyage on a cargo ship to the Mediterranean and back.  As usual I had little cash but much musical longing with little time to choose what to bring.  Two cassettes and did not regret the purchase.  As a result, Stewart Copeland became my favorite drummer.

2 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Has the Dark Side got a solid light blue triangle in the middle of the vinyl.  Careful if it has, could be 350-400 quid in good nick.

Beatles Revolver and Rubber Soul.  Only 'experts' mistakenly think Sgt Pepper was their best effort 

Not solid, unfortunately.

I've gone through the whole Beatles catalogue. Definitely want to get all the vinyl versions, but will be prioritizing stuff I haven't sat down and listened to before. George Harrison's All Things Must Pass is one I want sooner rather than later.

22 hours ago, ramit said:

You've got me on a nostalgic trip now.

In 1984 I was hired for a 4 month voyage on a cargo ship to the Mediterranean and back.  As usual I had little cash but much musical longing with little time to choose what to bring.  Two cassettes and did not regret the purchase.  As a result, Stewart Copeland became my favorite drummer.

Apparently learnt his unique drumming style in the Middle East as his dad was in the United States intelligence service.

Really enjoying this.  Simon Armitage (Poet Laureate no less) and 2 others have come together as LYR to create a wonderful album to while away one hour of your time. An Unnatural History.

A bizarre concept. An album all about Barnsley's Eldon Street through the eyes of the former Natural History Museum. The music and lyrics cover Eldon Street’s past, including circuses and fairs that visited the town.

Something I stumbled on because of my enjoyment of Yard Act, and a suggestion from Spotify.  A couple of tracks linked below. Deserves a few more listens.

On 14/01/2024 at 22:58, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Blimey. So many to choose from. I pulled a few albums out of the attic the other day I have kept from way back then. Rumours was one. Bridge over troubled water and Breakfast in America, and Parallel Lines all great albums I hadn’t played for years.

Any of these if you are getting into the 70’s have their merits.

https://pitchfork.com/features/lists-and-guides/5932-top-100-albums-of-the-1970s/

23 hours ago, i-Ram said:

Blimey. So many to choose from. I pulled a few albums out of the attic the other day I have kept from way back then. Rumours was one. Bridge over troubled water and Breakfast in America, and Parallel Lines all great albums I hadn’t played for years.

Any of these if you are getting into the 70’s have their merits.

https://pitchfork.com/features/lists-and-guides/5932-top-100-albums-of-the-1970s/

I'm not going to argue that any of the albums shouldn't be on the list, but some of the placings seem way out to me:

Ziggy Stardust 81

Dark Side of the Moon 70

Rumours 41

And finally Led Zep IV at number 7!!!! The reviewer couldn't understand it not being number one, yet it is at 7!

I am however more surprised at some of the albums that are missing. No "Night at the Opera" or "Day at the Races". However the biggest missing album for me is "Bat Out of Hell". One of the biggest selling albums ever and it doesn't even make the top 100 of the 70s.

3 minutes ago, richinspain said:

I'm not going to argue that any of the albums shouldn't be on the list, but some of the placings seem way out to me:

Ziggy Stardust 81

Dark Side of the Moon 70

Rumours 41

And finally Led Zep IV at number 7!!!! The reviewer couldn't understand it not being number one, yet it is at 7!

I am however more surprised at some of the albums that are missing. No "Night at the Opera" or "Day at the Races". However the biggest missing album for me is "Bat Out of Hell". One of the biggest selling albums ever and it doesn't even make the top 100 of the 70s.

Low at 1.  Dear me no. He was half addled on cocaine at that point.

On 14/01/2024 at 22:58, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

The good old crackle of vinyl!!  I’d offer up Darkness on the Edge of Town, The Works and Brothers in Arms.

• 3 weeks later...