What Are You Listening To?

AndyB

4 minutes ago, richinspain said:

I only got into Van Morrison a few years ago. Absolutely love most of his stuff.

My personal favourite.

It is wonderful, I would say though don't spoil it by going to see him live. I've done it three times now and he has been less than average on each occasion.

21 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

It is wonderful, I would say though don't spoil it by going to see him live. I've done it three times now and he has been less than average on each occasion.

Yes I heard years ago that his live performances range from incredible to atrocious.

2 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

I got lucky - saw him about 8 years ago in a small venue and he was superb - he was even in a good mood! 😅

3 hours ago, Crewton said:

I got lucky - saw him about 8 years ago in a small venue and he was superb - he was even in a good mood! 😅

Yeah, I've also heard that when he's good he's special. To be fair, one of the times I saw him was at Wembley Arena - I think you could see The Beatles supported by Jimi Hendrix (with Janis Joplin on backing vocals) there and it would still be underwhelming.

I saw VM once, at the 25th anniversary special of Jools Holland. It was in the Albert Hall and Van played I think 3 tracks. He closed the show with Gloria which my dear old Mum loved, so that got me on my feet with a tear in my eye.

It was a superb night. The Foos were playing and we were just behind and to the side of Taylor’s drum kit. Also saw Paul Weller, Gregory Porter, Dizzee Rascal, KT Tunstall and a couple of random international acts. Fab night of music and the tickets were around £30!

59 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Rumours. Wow!

What is your set up? Couple of years ago, I was in a hi-fi shop in Stratford-upon-Avon, and they were playing Rumours on vinyl. It sounded amazing. I did a quick tot up of the turntable, amp and speakers they were using. Just under £13,000. 😞

26 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

What is your set up? Couple of years ago, I was in a hi-fi shop in Stratford-upon-Avon, and they were playing Rumours on vinyl. It sounded amazing. I did a quick tot up of the turntable, amp and speakers they were using. Just under £13,000. 😞

Orbit Basic Turntable with built-in pre-amp: https://uturnaudio.com/products/orbit-basic-turntable

Edifier S1000MKII active bookshelf speakers: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07ZVPMR58?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

With shipping, it worked out at the equivalent of around 550 GBP. From what I've read, it's reasonable as a first setup. Can't quite afford 13 grand just yet!

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a guitarist you've likely never heard of, but every Icelandic music enthusiast knows and loves, Björgvin Gíslason, one of, if not the best Icelandic rock guitarist.  Self taught.  In his later years he lamented not having studied music, but then added that perhaps it was best he didn't, as when you haven't learned the rules, there are no rules and creativity flows freely.

Björgvin died suddenly a few days ago 72 years of age.  Much respected and greatly missed.

This is from his 60th birthday concert.

Edited by ramit
typo

8 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

Hadn't heard that one, nice.

When I was in junior high in California in the early seventies I had a crazy Hawaiian teacher, Mr. Lee, yeah he wore dark glasses. 

One day Mr. Lee came to class with a record player, an amp and a couple of speakers, said the only thing we would learn that day was to fully take in and appreciate a great album with Sly & The Family Stone.  Before playing the record, Mr. Lee passed around some wacky baccy for those who wanted, which turned out to be everyone except innocent I.

23 minutes ago, ramit said:

Hadn't heard that one, nice.

When I was in junior high in California in the early seventies I had a crazy Hawaiian teacher, Mr. Lee, yeah he wore dark glasses. 

One day Mr. Lee came to class with a record player, an amp and a couple of speakers, said the only thing we would learn that day was to fully take in and appreciate a great album with Sly & The Family Stone.  Before playing the record, Mr. Lee passed around some wacky baccy for those who wanted, which turned out to be everyone except innocent I.

From my dear, departed mum's collection. Sounds like Mr Lee would be my kinda guy 😂