Chris Maguire

Pudding Jack

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

look i have told you my answer

You may have told us your answer, but you haven't answered the question. You're dressing opinion up as fact. You think NC doesn't rate Maguire, so you claim NC said he isn't good enough.

You're making it up.

The fact that Clough was picking 15 year olds and Doyle ahead of Maguire show just what he thinks of Maguire.

Derby for all there hard work/graft there is a lack of flair/craft.

Maguire is this type of player and im sure there will be plenty of takers when we flog him this summer.

I for one shall follow his progress with interest and it will be interesting to see how well his new club do compared with Derby.

I wonder if Clough will insist on a clause that he doesnt play against us?? You know just in case....

I dislike Cloughs footballing methods and philosophy on the whole and given the choice I'd get rid of him as I can't see us (a) being promoted under him and ('http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='B)' /> playing decent football under him..

But...

What's everyones big deal with him loaning out Maguire? He might be a decent player, but he wasn't playing for whatever reason, but he alone wasn't going to make us a playoff team.. Perhaps a different manager can get better out of him, but at least getting him regular game time at this level is a good thing.. He'll either come back to us a better player (and more confident) and will go on to have a decent season next year or we'll sell him for more than we paid for him.. Surely a Win-Win scenario?

Worst case scenario is we sell him for less than we bought him for and then he goes on to be a top player at a different club.. (I'd give you 50/1 odds that this doesn't happen - More chance of Derby being promoted!)

Bris, the big deal is, it gives the NC haters, GSE haters and life in general haters another opportunity to bash NC and the club. It's not about Maguire it's about having a go at NC.

I don't think the anti-NC brigade totally appreciate the views of those they regard as "Clough Supporters". From what I read on here, there are many of us who support him because he's our current manager, he has a thoroughly difficult job to do and is making a fair fist of it, and for some, he gets his nose in front because of what his Dad did and we all want him to do the same.

So, I'm a "Clough Supporter". Wait for it all you anti-Clough types...he makes mistakes! It's called the human element. It may be that it has called it wrong with Maguire. He may not be able to cope with that type of player in his formation. So, you get a few great goals but overall, Clough thinks you let more in because he doesn't fit in with the defensive way we play at the moment. Like others, I yearn to see us play with a more flowing style. However, our squad is not good enough so we grind out results. Money stays short and the short term future doesn't look so bright. It's not as simple as people make it sound. We go on a good run, followed by a bad run. We're nothing special, far from it. We've lost Barker for 12-16 months at a time when we needed him most. That's just rotten luck.

I like the look of Maguire from what I've seen on the TV but I'm not getting carried away. As Bris says, surely this is a win-win situation for the Club. I hope he comes back and forces his way in if he's consistently as good as he suggests at times. If he doesn't, or won't stay, I can't see us losing any money on him. At the end of the day, Clough brought him to the Club so that must say something - but I'm not sure what, depends on your point of view I suppose.

I'm not anti anything when it comes to Derby County, I just believe the lad should be given a run in the team. I think my beliefs have been backed up in recent weeks, he's got a lot more in his locker than all our strikers bar Savies. I want to watch players like that play for my team, especially when we've forked out a few hundred grand for the guy.

I think the problem is that everyone goes on about the tough job Clough has to do and the small budget we have, and then he goes and spends 400k on someone who he won't even give a chance to. With our squad and budget, we can't afford to have someone being frozen out as seems to happen fairly regularly with Clough. I don't care about what he shows in training, it's on the pitch that counts and the fact that players such as Croft, Doyle, Bennett and Hughes have been picked ahead of him shows that it's just stubberness on Clough's part not to pick him.

Some people say it's a win win situation him going on loan, but the way he's performed for Pompey and in the manner he's performed too, working hard for the team, just begs the question even more, Why hasn't he been playing for us? Also, we've found ourselves in a position of slim play-offs hopes recently, and to have a player of his quality not at the club doesn't appear beneficial to me. He should be on the bench for us at the very least, he could have really made a difference yesterday coming off the bench.

It's been claimed that the reason he's been out in the cold is that he controls the ball in a way Clough doesn't like. This surely can't be true, and if it is shows just how incompetent the manager is in handling skilful players. When you have players such as Robinson and Tyson at the club, why would Maguire's control come in to question. I want to see flair and skill, not someone being picked just to take set pieces. This season i've found it so boring watching a vast majority of our games, the way we play and the players just don't excite me at all. I want to see players like Maguire play, just wish the manager felt the same.

So without actually causing another debate when did Maguire actually play well for us? The few games he was involved in he struggled to control the ball and did not look at all confortable at all.

Perhaps the way Portsmouth play suits him better! Maybe he will come back to us a better player and be our 20 goal man. Maybe Clough has pulled a master stroke by sending him out on loan.

Remember it was our manager and his team who found him up north so they must have seen something they liked. He certainly wasn't dropped of at Pride Park by a passing alien craft was he

There was one game at home and he came on as sub at Boro and did well. Beyond that he was dreadful. i hope he can carry on his current Pompey form for us next season.

I don't think it's a case of our style of play doesn't suit him, it seemed to me that he tried for the spectacular/difficult option all the time instead of keeping things simple and lost the ball too many times. maybe he was trying too hard and has played better there with lower expectations of him, well initially anyway.

its about Clough and Maguire . Clough in some Derby fans eyes will always be a hero and whatever he does will be correct . GSE in other Rams fans eyes are the worst ever. Truth is Maguire is just a sympton of the problem . Clough finds it difficult to do u turns on players and as i see it once out you are out . CLOUGH SUPPORTERS you may rue the days of obscurity . Its all about opinions and as for Maguire well no one believes that i am genuine regarding his control of the football issues with the club so forget it.

If any Rams fan think that GSE is wrose than the three amigos then they got a memory of a gold fish.

Difficult to turn on players? Clough is not Paul " star" Jewell, take it you mean motivate players? I can think of a few players he has, Theo Robinson, Jamie Ward and most of all Robbie Savage, look where we was when Clough took over.

Archived