Chris Maguire

Pudding Jack

Bris, some very valid points there, especially the "journeyman" comment.

Personally I would much rather see the youngsters being given a chance and IMO I think they have done well this year. Cash is definately not just the answer, look at Leicester!

Lets support our team and get behind NC as I'm sure its not easy dealing with the restraints that have been put on him financially.

Passion is what we want to see from the team and the Management Unit. Someone that can lift the crowd with an elaborate bit of skill or a thunderous tackle on the pitch. I only see NC being animated at the third official not encouraging and demanding more from the players.This is where we all need to be more vocal on matchdays and lift the team!

It is OUR team after all and we will all be there long after NC and his team have moved on!!

COME ON DERBY!

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shilts which glasses have you got on today them Rose ones m8. Do you really think Theo and Davies striking partnership will get us up.

Until recently we couldn't score for toffee. Is Theo ever going to be good enough. Doubt it.

The stats speak for themselves mate- I love Theo and his "unorthodox" style but I didn't think he would get anywhere near double figures- he has- if he reaches 15 goals then he is good enough, regardless of how he gets them. Don't forget he has missed games through injury and hasn't started the rest either. Davies' scoring record over a season would put him on 23 and Theos 15. Like it or not, that is a potent strike force.

At least we seem to have options, admittedly not a huge amount, however we seem to have a good base to build from. Also there hasn't been that many matches where our best 11 have been on the pitch at the same time, and I doubt we will see it anytime soon as we always seem to have a key player out! But hey, we are looking at possibly achieving our biggest points total since we returned here, so, albeit slowly, things are moving in the right direction

Of course its our Team and we all want them to do well. We do get behind the Team on Matchdays look at the atmosphere against Forest. But not all of us agree all the time. That would be really boring. Clough is doing well and I say that through gritted teeth.

Why through gritted teeth? are you being converted against your will? If it's any consolation, you will always be wrist slasher in my heart 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Being negative about Derby Bris? There is a surprise. I am not sure how much you read of press releases etc but it has been said over and over that we are building for the future- Bryson is 25 and will only get better, Hendrick is a kid and is not out of place already- saying that we need "better" when they are holding their own and have nowhere near reached their potential is ludicrous. Also Shackell is thought to be one of the best CB's in the division so I don't really know how you hope to improve on this?

Steve Davies and Theo are both still young but Savies has scored 1 in 2 this season, 1 in 2! And Theo has scored 1 in 3. I know that you are trying to put a negative spin on this and make out that we need to spend money etc etc but between these 2 if they stay fit there is the potential for 38 goals. So yes, all being well they could be a promotion winning strike force. If Davies had been fit all season and continued his scoring rate we would probably be in the playoffs right now.

I don't think we are the finished article by any means but the players that we have are hopefully going to improve- Davies is 3 to 4 years off his prime, Theo even more. Hendrick is a kid, Fielding is young, Bailey is young, Brayford is young, Ward is 25, Bryson is 25, Maguire is still a kid and if he comes back and is given the chance he also has potential. Please don't come on and write this team off as they are young and still learning the game- if they learn it together with the backing of the fans they will become a very good team. At the age they are now and the league position achieved it is clear that there could be much more to come from this crop of players.

Alternatively we could throw millions at sgning "proven" (i.e. old) journeyman in a big push for promotion only to have to chop and change the squad as their careers wind down. I prefer this way- you talk of making the "next step", we have made a big step this season and I don't think that it will require a huge change of personnel to make the next one.

What are you talking about? Bryson and Hendrick nowehere near their potential? I'll throw you a few names who helped us reach the playoffs.. Jay McEverly, Stephen Pearson, Marcus Tudgay, Lee Grant, Lee Camp, Stephen Bywater, Adam Bolder, Richard Jackson, Giles Barnes, Lewin Nyatanga, Izale McLeod.. Half of these young players were 'regulars' in team that finished 3rd and 4th.. Please, tell me how many of these improved and reached their potential?

You can not predict who is going to do well and who isn't.. Don't give me that rubbish that this team is only going to improve.. Because they have as much chance of going backwards... Millwall finished 8th last season, where was their improvement? Why isn't their younger players now pushing for top 6 or the PL? Steve Morrison got his PL move, just like Tom Huddlestone did with us.. As for the rest, run of the mill players..

I'm not putting a negative spin on anything, I'm being realistic.. You're being incredibly unrealistic if you think they're all going to improve.. Football doesn't work like that, some players peak when they're 18 years old.. (Niel Mellor, Francis Jeffers, Richard Wright, Freddy Eastwood, Giles Barnes, Izale McLeod).. Richard Jackson was a better player for us than he has been the rest of his career.

How do you improve on Shackell? Are you serious? Are you saying he's the best in the league? Jasper Gorkks is better, that's how you improve on this.. Jasper could play in the PL.. Shackell (I'd like to think he could but who knows).. Reading sold Matt Mills for $5mill and replaced him with a better player for 1/10th of that.

And so what if Theo and Davies have a record of 1/2? Strikers aren't all about goals, Drogba has never been a 1/2 player.. If that was the case, lets go and get Billy Kee.. He's better than 1/2 for Burton Albion. You can improve the quality of striker without the goals.. Link up play, defending from the front, passing, controlling, hold up play, channel running, closing down, space creating.. It's not all about goals and if we want to be promoted one if not both of these ar not going to be our regular strikers.

When did I ever say 'throw money at journeymen' you can get better players for free..

Just watched his goal against Hull... absolutely class, what you'd expect from a 20 goal a season striker, not from what our reserves churn out 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/huh' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':huh:' />

Id rather have Theo's 11 in 34 and steve davies 10 in 20 until Maguire shows he can score goals consistently

Id rather have Theo's 11 in 34 and steve davies 10 in 20 until Maguire shows he can score goals consistently

According to the pompy fans though, who bearing in mind have seen Chris Maguire play more than any Derby County fan he's more than just a goal scorer he's creative and is running games hence them winning games against the likes of Hull since he arrived

From [url=http://www.portsmouth.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=277712]http://www.portsmout...le.asp?a=277712

How good was Chris Maguire on Tuesday night eh?

That said how good, on the whole, has he been during his whole loan spell to date!

Against Hull though he epitomised everything that is good and great about Portsmouth football club with his never say die attitude, constant desire to fight and a willingness to never give in.

The guy chased every ball down, was a constant menace to the Hull defence and they could not live with his desire and fighting spirit, not forgetting his talent!

What the hell their keeper was thinking for his goal I do not know but what a sublime finish it was, and what an important goal it as at the time as it set us on the way and his performance set the tone for all that was to follow.

I just ask myself why the hell is he not anywhere near the 1st team at Derby?

Either they have an abundance of extraordinary attacking talent or Nigel Clough is not a very good judge of player or just does not fancy him! Given the turnover of players at Derby in the past 12-18-months perhaps his judgement of players could be questioned?

Shilts which glasses have you got on today them Rose ones m8. Do you really think Theo and Davies striking partnership will get us up.

Until recently we couldn't score for toffee. Is Theo ever going to be good enough. Doubt it.

If Maguire is so good then why is he strutting his stuff at portsmouth! Why have no other teams shown an interest in him?

I think curtains you might need to take your Maguire tinted specs off!

His months loan expires around Easter, it will be interesting to see if he comes back or stays, as i said b4,with nowt much to play for etc, i think NC should try him in black and white, mould him, integrate him,ets ready for next season....... if he stays it will be till the end of the season, and whether he then ever pulls on a Derby shirt is anyones guess 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wacko' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wacko:' />

The stats speak for themselves mate- I love Theo and his "unorthodox" style but I didn't think he would get anywhere near double figures- he has- if he reaches 15 goals then he is good enough, regardless of how he gets them. Don't forget he has missed games through injury and hasn't started the rest either. Davies' scoring record over a season would put him on 23 and Theos 15. Like it or not, that is a potent strike force.

The last part is ifs, buts and maybe's. Davies and theo have had decent seasons but the fact is they have 10 (davies) and 9 (Theo) in the league. You cant start saying that if davies and theo had played every game it would work out they would have scored 23 and 15 cos it doesnt work like that. You honestly believe we cant improve our strikeforce? I dont mind either of them and would prefer more flair in midfield rather than a new striker, but id never describe them as potent.

I can't believe that some people are saying that we can't improve on our current team, we are the 12th best team in what is an average league at best, even clough has said this is where we expect to be.

Players at 25 are considered young, really ? Not a great comparison but when you think messi is 24, it puts into reality what are players are with some playing more games than him, championship level, nothing more nothing less, maybe one or 2 will go onto higher things, but watching them week in week out I would be very surprised if any with maybe the exception of hendrick play at the highest level in their career.

Reading for example took the plunge and brought roberts in they didn't sit back and admire the stats, and they look like they are going to reap the rewards.

Archived