Chris Maguire

Pudding Jack

In his interview today, NC said he's playing like he was in Scotland - the occasional brilliant goal but not much else. He said we play a team game with everyone contributing all the time and he doesn't feel Maguire does this.

Well it is a bit more info than controls the ball wrong, but it does beg the question why did he sign him if he clearly wasn't the type of team player he was looking for?

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well it is a bit more info than controls the ball wrong, but it does beg the question why did he sign him if he clearly wasn't the type of team player he was looking for?

He is what he is looking for, but as with all young players you are buying potential to work with.

He is what he is looking for, but as with all young players you are buying potential to work with.

I disagree. I think he has realised that even with all the work he has done this season with Maguire, he is going to remain "only" a flair player with the occassional magic moment but not the consistency and team game that Clough values higher, to go with that flair. I think he has sent him to Portsmouth to put him in the shop window. I think he saw the potential that if Maguire could add that consistent worth ethic to the moments of flair he would be a huge bargain, but it doesn't appear to have worked out.

I disagree. I think he has realised that even with all the work he has done this season with Maguire, he is going to remain "only" a flair player with the occassional magic moment but not the consistency and team game that Clough values higher, to go with that flair. I think he has sent him to Portsmouth to put him in the shop window. I think he saw the potential that if Maguire could add that consistent worth ethic to the moments of flair he would be a huge bargain, but it doesn't appear to have worked out.

I would say that is probably a very accurate summary of the situation.

Just saw the goal against Southampton, absolute beauty!

hope the door isn't shut on him, he looks very talented, and if Clough can have a similar effect on him that he had on theo then we'll have a cracking player on our hands.

Cloughs joint 3rd highest spent signing (with bray and bails) and he doesn't get much to spend, and what we have done is acquired a very talented boy who is a bit rough around the edges, but if he wasn't he'd be worth 4million on 400k... he has got to do something with him, because if he went to another club, at this level he'd do some damage!

I really don't think the door is closed. He'll be back playing with us next season.

If anything, playing for a club scrapping for their lives might have improved him. If work rate was in question, then playing for Portsmouth at the moment must require 100% effort, and I doubt someone like Michael Appleton would settle for a showboater/drifter/lazy player.

This might be the making of him.

• 3 weeks later...

If we had Maguire, Hughes and Bennett in and around the first team next season we might have something to get excited about.

Come on Clough, get rid of players like Bavies, Tyson and Robinson (put him on the bench) and give these exciting young players a go.

If we had Maguire, Hughes and Bennett in and around the first team next season we might have something to get excited about.

Come on Clough, get rid of players like Bavies, Tyson and Robinson (put him on the bench) and give these exciting young players a go.

Dont think Mason Bennett is ready yet, would of liked to see more of Maguire and Hughes

Yeah I agree. I'd like to see a lot of Hughes next season. Most positive player on the pitch against Peterborough. Also I do think Maguire needs to be given a good go in the first team. I mean he's 23 ffs. Older then Bennett, Ball, and Robinson, yet he's "one for the future". I don't get it. Either he's given a decent chance, or Clough admits he's made a costly mistake.

Yeah I agree. I'd like to see a lot of Hughes next season. Most positive player on the pitch against Peterborough. Also I do think Maguire needs to be given a good go in the first team. I mean he's 23 ffs. Older then Bennett, Ball, and Robinson, yet he's "one for the future". I don't get it. Either he's given a decent chance, or Clough admits he's made a costly mistake.

Unless he sells him for £400k.

I'm honestly not "excited" by Chris Maguire.

If he comes back and does ok then fine, but I dont have him down as the one who will take us to the promised land single handedly as now seems to be the opinion on here.

I'd be pleased enough if he came back, but as it seems he's not the type of player our manager is looking for, i'd be happier if we got any moree than half a mill for him, as long as that went towards a billy sharpe type.

Maguire will never make it at Derby, Clough has a vision of how his players should be and unfortunately Maguire doesn't fit into this. Maguire has a talent although his teamwork, desire and work rate is not to the standard Clough requires. I have to agree with Clough on this one.

Varney?

That is a good idea actually, I would see if they were intrested a swap with Jason Pearce (leeds bound I think) David Norris, Dave Kitson, Joel Ward? Does anyone know if Liam Lawence loan to Cardiff will be made perm? Any of these would be a good deal for us IMO

Archived