Chris Maguire

Pudding Jack

Maguire will never make it at Derby, Clough has a vision of how his players should be and unfortunately Maguire doesn't fit into this. Maguire has a talent although his teamwork, desire and work rate is not to the standard Clough requires. I have to agree with Clough on this one.

OOOooh contraversial! Do you not know that the only reason Maguire is left out is that NC has fallen out with him because he does not like his accent and wants Derby to be relegated. It is not possible that he has a poor attitude and has not shown enough in the 6 days a week our manager sees him without us watching.

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SillyBilly

OOOooh contraversial! Do you not know that the only reason Maguire is left out is that NC has fallen out with him because he does not like his accent and wants Derby to be relegated. It is not possible that he has a poor attitude and has not shown enough in the 6 days a week our manager sees him without us watching.

I liked it when McCarthy said and I paraphrase "I couldn't give a flip what they do in training, its what they do on a saturday that counts". I think there has to be a balance between Clough's rigid mindset which I see strength in and picking your most able team. I bet Kinkladze was a passenger in training (he was in most matches too) but by god did I love to see him play. I pay to see flair as well as honesty and graft.

Sorry typo error, It was meant to say "Clough out!"

The one time I've seen Maguire play was against Cardiff (that is, for any significant period of time). It was after he scored against Pompey, and quite frankly he was rubbish, kept giving the ball away, clearly fancied running the ball into the net. I hope he's given another chance, perhaps his spell at Pompey has given him the confidence to play to his full potential. If we get a decent RW and play them with Maguire and Ward as part of a 4-2-3-1, we could have a great midfield section.

I liked it when McCarthy said and I paraphrase "I couldn't give a flip what they do in training, its what they do on a saturday that counts". I think there has to be a balance between Clough's rigid mindset which I see strength in and picking your most able team. I bet Kinkladze was a passenger in training (he was in most matches too) but by god did I love to see him play. I pay to see flair as well as honesty and graft.

You either have one philosophy or the other. When you have players like Kinkladze - or, rather, when you can afford players like Kinkladze, then perhaps that's somewhat of a luxury.

But when we have a bottom 6 budget, you can't get top 6 with signing passengers. Everyone has to work their socks off, and if you don't, you're outta here. When Clough started out, we had players who were only interested in collecting their pay cheque at the end of the month. Now we have players who would run themselves in to the ground for the club.

Why sacrifice that for one Scottish bloke who cost £400k and has looked ok in a crap Portsmouth side for a few months?

Perhaps short-term it's fine to whack the best players on paper on to the pitch, but if we're serious about getting rid of this sick, losing culture at this club - which has only been dispelled by Burley and Davies for one season each since the turn of the millenium - then I think it's alright for the first team to be concentrating on work for now, and add the quality from the Academy.

Can you beleive this thread has got over 500 replies for a forward that we loaned out that has scored just 3 goals in 11 games and people think he is the man to take us forward. Buxton is only 1 goal behind him in 10 games

Is this Mick Macarthy who was at Wolves who got the sack because his team was crap this year. Maybe if they could actually do it in training then they might be able to perform on a Saturday and he would still have his job.....just a thought

Can you beleive this thread has got over 500 replies for a forward that we loaned out that has scored just 3 goals in 11 games and people think he is the man to take us forward. Buxton is only 1 goal behind him in 10 games

And he scored the most important goal at home against the scum to make it a double over them. Also puts more effort into a game and I mean every game he has played for Derby shame Maguire cant say the same.

SillyBilly

Is this Mick Macarthy who was at Wolves who got the sack because his team was crap this year. Maybe if they could actually do it in training then they might be able to perform on a Saturday and he would still have his job.....just a thought

I'm delighted they got their comeuppance for a complete lack of loyalty. Fingers crossed they keep Terry in charge next year- one less team to worry about.

Paul McGrath.

They werent crap all year but did go on a shocking run. What a mess wolves made of that one. They would surely had a better chance with Macarthy in charge, the manager who brought them all their success. I thought we were trying to copy the Wolves model, im sure Glick or Clough mentioned it. Not now clearly though

You either have one philosophy or the other. When you have players like Kinkladze - or, rather, when you can afford players like Kinkladze, then perhaps that's somewhat of a luxury.

But when we have a bottom 6 budget, you can't get top 6 with signing passengers. Everyone has to work their socks off, and if you don't, you're outta here. When Clough started out, we had players who were only interested in collecting their pay cheque at the end of the month. Now we have players who would run themselves in to the ground for the club.

Why sacrifice that for one Scottish bloke who cost £400k and has looked ok in a crap Portsmouth side for a few months?

Perhaps short-term it's fine to whack the best players on paper on to the pitch, but if we're serious about getting rid of this sick, losing culture at this club - which has only been dispelled by Burley and Davies for one season each since the turn of the millenium - then I think it's alright for the first team to be concentrating on work for now, and add the quality from the Academy.

Whilst I agree in principal, maybe if we didn’t spend 300k on a forward who cant even control a ball, we wouldn’t need to waste so much energy on the pitch trying to get the ball back.

Then maybe we could afford to accommodate the luxury players that give you that bit of extra skill and guile to move onto the next level.

[size=3]Chris Maguire ain't going to tire. He'll score the odd great goal and might get away with living off it for a while. He's young and his so called attitude, I've never met the guy, so haven't a clue what he's like may change and may not, and that's why he's at Pompey and with a team relegated and not currently in our first team squad. [/size]

[size=3]Where as Bryson has just cleaned up winning all the club awards. If Chris Maguire realises that work ethic and what you do off the pitch during the week will always effect how you perform on a match day, as your true character comes out and your team mates and club mates, we are all part of one team will react and get along with you accordingly and that's when Chris Maguire will be a success at Derby County Football Club. [/size]

[size=3]Chris Maguire can train and prepare himself accordingly to Derby County Football Clubs ethics and values, he's not in the same position as Paul McGrath who the club thought, it was best for both parties that he just turned up and played on match days. Unfortunately some of the kids today think they have to do very little to earn a lot. [/size]

[size=3]I think Nigel Clough who's not on the big massive management wage is right not to condone players who think they only have to put a little in, but are prepared to take a lot out of the club. We'd be better off buying a midfielder with some physical aggression that could take control of the team, that is prepared to work hard for his wages and represent the club in all the right ways. I also think Nigel is doing the right thing, it's up to Chris Maguire to proove himself and work hard for the shirt, not the shirt working hard for him.[/size]

[size=3]Chris Maguire ain't going to tire. He'll score the odd great goal and might get away with living off it for a while. He's young and his so called attitude, I've never met the guy, so haven't a clue what he's like may change and may not, and that's why he's at Pompey and with a team relegated and not currently in our first team squad. [/size]

[size=3]Where as Bryson has just cleaned up winning all the club awards. If Chris Maguire realises that work ethic and what you do off the pitch during the week will always effect how you perform on a match day, as your true character comes out and your team mates and club mates, we are all part of one team will react and get along with you accordingly and that's when Chris Maguire will be a success at Derby County Football Club. [/size]

[size=3]Chris Maguire can train and prepare himself accordingly to Derby County Football Clubs ethics and values, he's not in the same position as Paul McGrath who the club thought, it was best for both parties that he just turned up and played on match days. Unfortunately some of the kids today think they have to do very little to earn a lot. [/size]

[size=3]I think Nigel Clough who's not on the big massive management wage is right not to condone players who think they only have to put a little in, but are prepared to take a lot out of the club. We'd be better off buying a midfielder with some physical aggression that could take control of the team, that is prepared to work hard for his wages and represent the club in all the right ways. I also think Nigel is doing the right thing, it's up to Chris Maguire to proove himself and work hard for the shirt, not the shirt working hard for him.[/size]

owwH I just banged my head on the screen.

Well said Nigel!

Whilst I agree in principal, maybe if we didn’t spend 300k on a forward who cant even control a ball, we wouldn’t need to waste so much energy on the pitch trying to get the ball back.

Then maybe we could afford to accommodate the luxury players that give you that bit of extra skill and guile to move onto the next level.

We have to take gambles, some won't work out, just like Maguire probably won't.

I think the idea is that the best way to get flair and luxury players is through the academy.

Some people spout stuff about Clough desiring dull, functional football, but I disagree. We're trying to establish something here and the initial by-product of that is some pretty simple football.

But take a look at Will Hughes and Mason Bennett - they are Clough players, in every sense of the word. They're coming through our "conveyer" belt, they work hard, and they're from the local area. But you're not telling me, especially from what I've seen of them, that they're functional, dull players.

We have to take gambles, some won't work out, just like Maguire probably won't.

I think the idea is that the best way to get flair and luxury players is through the academy.

Some people spout stuff about Clough desiring dull, functional football, but I disagree. We're trying to establish something here and the initial by-product of that is some pretty simple football.

But take a look at Will Hughes and Mason Bennett - they are Clough players, in every sense of the word. They're coming through our "conveyer" belt, they work hard, and they're from the local area. But you're not telling me, especially from what I've seen of them, that they're functional, dull players.

I have not seen enough of either Bennett or Hughes to make a judgement, but what happens if Bennett becomes a Matt le Tisser player, hates training, doesnt track back but has the skill to win matches on his own, does he get dropped/shipped out because he dont run 8.9km per game ?

I dont buy into Clough not liking flair players, but I also dont buy into Maguire being shipped out because he doesnt do it in training, have they fallen out ? dont know and dont care, but was is obvious is that we can ill afford to chuck half a million away each transfer window on players that play less than 5 games a season.

You could also argue Leeds that that £300k was well spent considering the goals to game ratio.

He might not pull his weight in training, or he might have a bit of an attitude but why can't Clough take him to one side and give him some encouragement? It always sounds like he drops them without a reason, maybe if he tried talking to the players to try and get them working harder they might actually improve their attitude/work ethic.

If any of you were demoted at work for no reason maybe you would have a 'don't give a **** attitude'?

I hope Maguire gets his chance this year, he had looked alright in a demoralised Pompey team, plus having competition up front is always a bonus

Archived