Sunderland (A) - Match thread

Eoghan1884

1 hour ago, jimtastic56 said:

The Barrow game wasn’t a very good performance by any stretch. I hope  Paul Warne has had a total re-think on how we set up away from home . It’s up to him - 3 centre half’s ? another holding midfielder? First away point of the season would be great tonight . 

As you probably realised, my comments were in relation to the League. Barrow showed that out "shadow XI" isn't of the correct standard. They are, however, good enough for the 1st team when needed as long as we don't have more than about 4 of them starting.

As I said in the post to which you replied, apart from that mad 15 minute spell in the 2nd half at Blackburn, we haven't played badly away from home. Certainly, IMO, deserved a draw at Watford and we limited Sheff U to long range pot shots and their goal came from a dubious free kick that wouldn't have gone in if the outside man in the wall had been more than 5'9" and/or had jumped. We've played some of the better sides away thus far, namely, 3rd, 6th and 7th and tonight we play away to the team in 2nd place.

Changing the setup? We set up to counter at home. I don't think he's going to try to play an expansive game away.

13 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

We are in Sunderland, raining all the way up here be it’s dry now.

Parked the car, had a quick pint in the pub ( £5.30 for a pint of beer and a pint of cider) I love the North 😂.

Checked in the Holiday Inn, then back out to explore a bit.

Looking at booking Mexico 70 restaurant for tacos and tequila pre match.

Have a good one everyone 🙂

Have you been on the beach yet ? 🤣

43 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

We are in Sunderland, raining all the way up here be it’s dry now.

Parked the car, had a quick pint in the pub ( £5.30 for a pint of beer and a pint of cider) I love the North 😂.

Checked in the Holiday Inn, then back out to explore a bit.

Looking at booking Mexico 70 restaurant for tacos and tequila pre match.

Have a good one everyone 🙂

Darwin's Happy Chappy bitter is £2.30 a pint in Chaplins (City Centre) 😀

My Newcastle supporting grandchildren brought this You tube video to my attention a few years ago.

For those that don't know or just don't speak the "geordie" language a Makem is the nickname for people from Sunderland  it may stem from the phrase "Mak ‘em and Tak’em" - with Mak’em being the local pronunciation of "make them" and Tak’em from "take them. One of the many origin stories behind nickname is the people from Sunderland make the ships and take them for testing.

The clip was obviously made by Newcastle supporters when Peter Reid was the Sunderland manger. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4oE4DT25ug 

I do like the faces of the monkeys ☺️

Edited by Elwood P Dowd

4 hours ago, MadAmster said:

As you probably realised, my comments were in relation to the League. Barrow showed that out "shadow XI" isn't of the correct standard. They are, however, good enough for the 1st team when needed as long as we don't have more than about 4 of them starting.

As I said in the post to which you replied, apart from that mad 15 minute spell in the 2nd half at Blackburn, we haven't played badly away from home. Certainly, IMO, deserved a draw at Watford and we limited Sheff U to long range pot shots and their goal came from a dubious free kick that wouldn't have gone in if the outside man in the wall had been more than 5'9" and/or had jumped. We've played some of the better sides away thus far, namely, 3rd, 6th and 7th and tonight we play away to the team in 2nd place.

Changing the setup? We set up to counter at home. I don't think he's going to try to play an expansive game away.

Let’s sweep the pre-season friendly’s under the carpet as well . I have been to most of the away games and Warne seems to have agreed with me . He has switched things round for tonight’s game . 

I quite like that team and looking at the reaction on X, I’m one of few. Wilson and Harness will give with on attack I’d imagine with Chirewa and Kenzo trying to create. Osborn will probably play better in a position he’s played in a lot over the last few years. 

Interested to see how Phillips does, that back three if they have a good day will be very hard to beat with Ebou sweeping up in front and JWZ sweeping up behind them. 

NML and Jackson off the bench will bring lots of pace late on to tired legs. 

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

A lot of changes

Zetterström

Nelson   Phillips   Cashin

Wilson   Goudmijn   Adams   Osborn

Chirewa   Harness

Yates

My formation and my team selection, bar Harness for CBT, which I can understand as the more industrious player.

2 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Interesting to see how we do with the complete change of shape. I actually thought we’ve played pretty well this season in our current system, so hopefully it’s a case of being away to 2nd in the league rather than abandoning the whole system.

And need for squad rotation 👍🐏

4 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

A lot of changes

Zetterström

Nelson   Phillips   Cashin

Wilson   Goudmijn   Adams   Osborn

Chirewa   Harness

Yates

Don’t hate that.

If you’re going to make changes to rest people better to do it properly. Looks quite right at the back and hopefully has enough upfront to nick a goal

2 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

I quite like that team and looking at the reaction on X, I’m one of few. Wilson and Harness will give with on attack I’d imagine with Chirewa and Kenzo trying to create. Osborn will probably play better in a position he’s played in a lot over the last few years. 

Interested to see how Phillips does, that back three if they have a good day will be very hard to beat with Ebou sweeping up in front and JWZ sweeping up behind them. 

NML and Jackson off the bench will bring lots of pace late on to tired legs. 

I agree with you.  I think we need an extra CB and I’m not surprised to see NML on the bench.  He doesn’t quite have the impact he did last season.  I am a bit surprised to see Jackson on the bench though.