Sunderland (A) - Match thread

Eoghan1884

4 minutes ago, Tombo said:

Watch the football instead of having a guess about how you think a Warne team looks

We've been quite accurate and cutting with our pass selection so far this season and it has netted us some good goals

"Quite accurate" leaves us with the 2nd lowest pass accuracy in the league...

"Cutting with pass selection" has also resulted in the 3rd fewest key passes in the league...

5 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Very similar trajectory to all our away games this season apart from Blackburn. Doesn’t look like we can compete at this level away from home with these tactics.

“With these tactics” meaning it’s warne’s fault not individual errors by players. So see through. 

3 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Think that issue is more to do with the absence of Ozoh to be fair. We don’t really have anyone else who can step in and do that defensive midfield role properly - you’re playing players like Adam’s and Goidmijn out of position. 

The long term issue is our lack of care in possession. I’ve been saying it for months but it never seems to improve

Where do they play then? #confused

We've given a decent account of ourselves.  Behind to a very good strike. Their left winger is a handful but apart from that they're pretty ordinary considering their league placement. 

We need to get Wilson attacking their fullback more. He's already on a yellow card so I fancy Wilsons trickery to draw another one. 

Thought we played quite well, equally matched teams with a mistake leading to a very good goal from them. Not sure why people are getting too negative, we are looking to play good football and play expansively on the transition, surely people are aware that will lead to risk/reward? We’ve seen the risk, let’s hope we get a reward. 

Let’s bring Jackson or NML on for Chirewa. His one shot in the 43rd minute doesn’t make up for his 42 minutes of conceding possession. 

He clearly has talent but is absolutely not suited for this sort of game. I’m a bit surprised Warne thought he would be.

1 minute ago, Barney1991 said:

And in all away games we’ve surrendered possession, can’t string a pass or keep the ball and even in the home games we’ve average less than 40% possession. We have in parts played well but for 10 minutes here and there. 

Away from home we let the opposition have too much ball and are more conservative with the press, that's all it is. It's not a good choice in my opinion, we need to get braver.

But don't mistake poor passing for a lack of desire to play with the football. We have tried to actually move the ball quickly and with intent. Against Blackburn, it was to our detriment. It would appear today we're having the same problem

5 minutes ago, SuffolkRam said:

Watching on sky, their half time statistics say Sunderland won 6 tackles and we won 2.  Must have been more than 8 successful tackles in that  half 

IMG_6513.jpeg

Whoscored have 10 vs 4 tackles, so probably down to their definition of "tackles won".

4 minutes ago, Ramfan1958 said:

No proper centre forward who can hold the ball up  It keeps coming back at us .

If we just hump the ball to half way - we have to have a big strong centre forward . However Yates is isolated , would like to see Kenzo up there with him . Been impressed with Phillips, long way to go yet .

1 minute ago, Ambitious said:

Thought we played quite well, equally matched teams with a mistake leading to a very good goal from them. Not sure why people are getting too negative, we are looking to play good football and play expansively on the transition, surely people are aware that will lead to risk/reward? We’ve seen the risk, let’s hope we get a reward. 

I think we've been fine too. Nothing to really concern me. I'm not watching this team wondering where a win will come from. We look alright.

3 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

And it’s still early in the season. We’re better off at this stage than a number of other sides with plenty of football still to play, against teams we will have every chance of beating. Plus, tonight isn’t over yet 😁 

10 games is a marker and whilst we’ve played several of the stronger teams so far we have to start capitalising on our positive starts in games.

We are trying to play it through midfield. Just too slow and it feels like the players still need to gel. Biggest weakness is not holding the ball in the final third allowing any midfielders to make up some more options up there. It feels like we are wary of committing extra men forward 

3 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Quite right

ive seen Chirewa almost level it as well as power forward a couple of times playing people in

got to gamble if you’re gonna win owt no disrespect here if players gamble and it doesn’t come off

just a wonder strike (his first) the difference! 👏🐏

3 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

"Quite accurate" leaves us with the 2nd lowest pass accuracy in the league...

"Cutting with pass selection" has also resulted in the 3rd fewest key passes in the league...

Slow down there Billy Beane

We haven't taken up the right positions for the passes we've been placing. The passes are good, the receiving is not.

Key passes refers to when the pass leads to a shot or decent attempt, i.e. a "would-be assist".

You don't understand the statistics you are spewing. Football is played on the grass. The statistics help you make sense of what you're seeing.

Well they do if you interpret them in combination with the football being played

3 minutes ago, DCFC Kicks said:

Isn't it a bit ridiculous how the stadium announcer announced the goal scorer as just 'Jobe'. We get it, your brothers famous and you want to be your own person. Imagine if his first name was something plain like John or James - it would sound stupid. Grow up.

same on the back of his shirt, too, I noticed earlier.  🙄