Bristol City (H) - Match Thread

2 minutes ago, B4’s Sister said:

Why was Scott Twine booed so much? 

Started berating the referee after he was fouled about 90 seconds into the game, waving an imaginary card around trying to get our player booked, then carried on berating the referee even after he was told to shut up by the ref. Why the ref didn't book him I don't know. He then took the fk himself and it was awful. Naturally, the crowd latched onto the fact that he was a mardy tw*t and jeered him every time he touched the ball and particularly when he missed two decent chances. He eventually lost his focus completely and just went round trying to kick our players until he was substituted to save him further embarrassment.

It was tremendous fun watching him disintegrate.

2 hours ago, LazloW said:

I don’t think they are rubbish, I think we made them look rubbish. 

In fairness they'd played 3 league games, got 5 points and were unbeaten so they may not have played well (outside of the first 20 mins) but they weren't on paper a bad side by any means. Obviously it was only 3 games (pre Derby) but that sort of return over a season gets you firmly in the promotion mix. Let's not downplay down the demolition job the lads did by just dissing the opposition !

I liked how calm Zetterstrom was. I noticed he was calmly communicating with players around him when the pressure was on. Bristol’s goalie started making mistakes under pressure. Even when Zetterstrom dropped the save, he was straight back on his feet and there was good team work from Cashin and others to defend the goal and it still felt calm. As much as I didn’t want to see Wildsmith go, I think his reaction would be more frantic. Joining in with Ozoh’s celebration was a nice touch. I’m loving what I’m seeing of the new players so far. 

I thought Bristol looked ok - I can see them finishing top half. Kept the ball better than Derby and on another day would have been ahead.   They didn't really use their possession well to create chances though - their forward seemed more suited to counter attack than a possession team.   

They definitely seemed to lose the plot once we went ahead though - they were so open it was like us vs Blackburn.   It was just a day when they played into our hands perfectly.

Just now, clough08 said:

Baffled as to why Palace loaned out Ozoh when Hughes is struggling every week in their midfield. He's not fast or strong enough to compete at top level whereas Ozoh certainly is.

Don't give them ideas, but if they do recall him in January, we could ask for Will in exchange.

3 hours ago, May Contain Nuts said:

I wouldn't say they were rubbish, because they threw a lot of us to start the game and had a very clear threat and if not for some very good goalkeeping and blocks by the defence could have blown us away before we'd even got out of the blocks. Some better finishing would have helped them of course but their shots still hit the target.

What was rubbish was their response to be outmuscled by Ozoh and Adams and their ability to think on their feet once our pressing started to crush them. Mentally they lost it, physically they couldn't stand up to it. The way he way their attackers refused to shoot on sight and instead waited until the perfect opportunity to shoot too was an issue (general buildup play was good to a point). They probably need more time on their attacking cohesion and I can see them improving over the season.

Their cause wasn't helped by Bird (who at one point took an age to turn around and play a pass I've seen him one-touch before) and Knight seemingly being overawed by their PPS return, but make no mistakes it was our own play from front to back which was the main factor in the victory being so comprehensive.

They’re a paper tiger. Decent going forward but abysmal at the back and have all the character and heart of John Major. I’d be seriously concerned if I were them and had any ambitions about challenging towards the top. They’ll face much sterner opposition than us and if they give up against them like they did against us then they’re in for a few hammerings I’d say.

I’d rather be us than them 😎

1 minute ago, clough08 said:

Baffled as to why Palace loaned out Ozoh when Hughes is struggling every week in their midfield. He's not fast or strong enough to compete at top level whereas Ozoh certainly is.

Love Ozoh and he's certainly impressed so far. I'm not sure he's ready for the Premier League yet though. He sometimes makes me nervous running into trouble but his strength and ball control gets him through 99% of the time in the Championship.

9 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Because he was behaving like a knob from very early trying to get Ozoh booked for a challenge worthy of a foul but no way deserving of a booking.

He had two goes at the referee, including placing his hand on his shoulder, yet didn’t get booked for dissent.

Then (very predictably) he ballooned a free kick over the bar.

Five minutes later, he pulled Ozoh back as he advanced and again escaped a booking.

He is mardy, but a good player on his day.

1 minute ago, Anag Ram said:

He had two goes at the referee, including placing his hand on his shoulder, yet didn’t get booked for dissent.

Then (very predictably) he ballooned a free kick over the bar.

Five minutes later, he pulled Ozoh back as he advanced and again escaped a booking.

He is mardy, but a good player on his day.

Yep. I saw it all. I was being polite when I described him as behaving like a knob. 😀

For the Cardiff game after the high of this game I’m not sure what narrative I think will happen.

A 1-0 loss to bottom of the table (very Derby).

Jerry Yates winner as a Swansea player on loan playing against Cardiff.

NML first goal of the season as he’ll be fired up after tragically losing his friend Sol Bamba and it being against Cardiff adds to this. 

Kane Wilson off the bench to score the winner back after injury and after becoming a father to his new born daughter. 

Or a boring 0-0 draw after us playing like Real Madrid. 

1 hour ago, clough08 said:

A Palace supporter friend of mine loves our Will and says the midfield pairing of him and Wharton was excellent last season.

Only a few observations:

- Football is won or lost in the midfield. Adam’s and Kenzo were given the freedom to push forward and play with a certain amount of freedom. Compare that to Knight playing as a rigid DM (which seems criminal to me) and Bird as a 10 who are playing in a tactical system. I thought Bristol looked over coached and frustrated in their approach, when we had players playing how they wanted to play. 

-Everyone deserves praise, but Nelson did get a couple of vital blocks in our box when they were on top. 

- First time in the South Stand and think I’ve become a convert after being somewhat critical in the past, but it was pretty much what I’d want from a football experience. Lots of people of different ages, decent songs and I think you feel a bit more involved in the game for the most part. Only things I’d say is that I’m not sure how well the sound through the stadiums travels to that end in comparison to being in the north east? I felt that you aren’t quite in sync with the rest of the stadium, but aside that it was great. Maybe it is time to think about trying to spread it further into the East Stand?