Barrow (A) - Match Thread

Sean

3 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

He's training and making himself available for selection. Also, from my observations, he works as hard as anyone else when on the pitch.

Regarding "maybe get a few mins on the pitch", he played the full 90 minutes last night, 76 minutes against Middlesbrough, 21 minutes against Chesterfield and 24 against Blackburn. The only game he hasn't featured in so far was against Watford. A bit more than getting a few minutes in my opinion.

Training and making yourself available for selection is part of being a footballer...it's a whole package, He new he was going to warm the bench this season

It's a pity he didn't work on taking penalties aye 😉

Only because Yates was suspended, Last night was tailored for Brown to start...but🤷‍♂️

I'll catch you in a bit as I'm off out now...👍

Disappointing performance then again 'lower' league teams are always more up for it. Missing 3 penalties is outrageous though. Always a risk in these competitions (league more important) of injuries think we came out of it ok though? Was watching game on and off so might have missed any. Then again at least we are not Middlesbrough! Did they put out their toddler team?

Edited by TimRam

15 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

To add to that, I want to see a manager actually trying to get his players doing what they're good at, not just jamming them in a random formation and hoping they run around enough so it doesn't matter.

What was the point of having Collins in the team -  he needs crosses to thrive off, and we had a right winger tucking in, a wrong footed guy on the left and our best crosser stuck at right back.

Goudmijn is wasted in this team - he barely gets the ball, and he never has anyone to pass to when he does get it.

Ward can't play right back - he's nowhere near good enough defensively, and you're just making it harder for him to do the one thing he's very good at (crossing).

NML coming on on the left - he just about did okay there last night (without actually producing anything), but he's struggled more often than not.  He's the best out and out winger at the club, but he's hamstrung by playing on the wrong side.

Ozoh as a holding midfielder - he looks decent on the ball but ropey defensively, so if you set up to force the ball forwards/wide all the time and then keep get broken on, you're not letting him get on the ball and play, while exposing his weaknesses.

I could go on and on. I do think there's a half decent team, somewhere amongst the players we have, but I don't think we'll ever see it with Warne in charge.  I don't think the majority of the players can do what Warne wants them to do (despite him signing most of them), and he seems to have no interest in getting them to do what they're actually good at either.

This is exactly my point, Warne is tactically inept and a better coach would get more out of this squad. 
Too many square pegs in round holes. 

23 minutes ago, TimRam said:

Disappointing performance then again 'lower' league teams are always more up for it. Missing 3 penalties is outrageous though. Always a risk in these competitions (league more important) of injuries think we came out of it ok though? Was watching game on and off so might have missed any. Then again at least we are not Middlesbrough! Did they put out their toddler team?

Apparently they did, and they played well but had a really bad patch according to another poster on here somewhere else.

Expect a few more dreadful performances until we bring in a more talented coach who can get this group of players to perform as a team at Championship level. We have been second best in each League game so  far but got lucky against Boro' who should have won comfortably. 

The problem is the result has now heaped pressure on against Bristol. We need at least a good draw with some gusto to get some motivation and spirit back into the fanbase. It's going to be a long hard season and we've got to strap ourselves in and get used to it unfortunately. The performance last night stunk and we can't afford to play that way against better teams. But we've gone from quite a defensive set up to then needing to be on the front foot... it's hardly going to be that effective or free-flowing.  We've scored in every league game so far so I'm not so worried about going forward. My bigger concern is the defence which really does need a lot of work in my book. 

7 minutes ago, Castor said:

Up there with one of the worst ever performances I've ever seen for Derby - dreadful. Need to see some massive improvements for Saturday. 

Tactically. I think Warne is clueless .The more I watched last night confirmed this 

The lack of ability to drive into the space, no awareness of not being pressed and just playing the ball back to someone being closed down. Not even to have a player on halfway when little Barrow have a corner, is amazing 

Thompson was awful 

Barkuizen is looking bad a dreadful a lack of pace and the ability to take a player on is evident 

Adams just booting the ball anywhere 

Collins is a absolute joke, 

The dutch lad too deep 

our first thought all the time is back, back sideways , and boot anywhere when pressured , is that really how we want to play 

I.ve got to say a more tactically aware manager could get us playing ,we just don't have a pattern of play 

57 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

That’s because you did know half the people there, 😂 thanks for my pasty.

Seriously, I thought you were bigging up your wife for introducing @angieram to half the Derby fans... then I read it again, and realised you hadn't typed "my Patsy" afterall.  🙄

I really should get to Specsavers!  🤓

1 hour ago, angieram said:

Cheers. We were a hardy band of hard-core supporters last night, it felt like I knew half the people there! 

Even the roadworks are conspiring against us. M6, M60, M62 and M1 all closed in places along the route home. We took a strange route along the southwest ring road round Manchester and then down A6. We had no idea where we were but had to keep going as we were in the satnav's hands! 

And the only services on our route (M61)  closes at 8 pm. What's that all about? 

I just didn't feel the effort was there from players or management last night. Especially after the substitutions, it was difficult to see any coherent shape, but that doesn't excuse our total inability to pass the ball from player to player. It's like a hot potato at times, when all it needed was to look up and pick a pass.

I miss Max Bird.

Don't worry! You'll see Max Bird very soon. Sadly in the red of The Robins.

I've waited until this morning to try and get my thoughts down on a post because I didn't want to give a knee jerk reaction.

The result - well obviously, we're not the first higher league opposition to get dumped out by less illustrious opponents and this is a competition that I'm not fussed about because we can probably see already that we just need to focus on staying in this division. That said though, for me it's the manner that is really important. If we'd bossed Barrow on possession and created far more than them but fell behind to a set piece or counter attack and then were unable to break down some stubborn and desperate defending then I can live with that. Last night though, we were just rather poor in all aspects. It wasn't exactly a hostile cauldron of an atmosphere, quite the opposite, it sounded more like a pre-season friendly for long periods. The pitch was meh but nowt wrong with it so it is really all about how we acquitted ourselves on the night and the answer to that was 'poorly'. Apart from a few NML moments 2nd half, we didn't really have them sweating and we lost too many battles, lacked a killer ball and showed some wasteful finishing with what little we did create. We gave the ball away too much and their press seemed to leave us with a strategy of just knocking it down the flanks and hope we could get a meaningful cross in. We totally failed to play through them except in the rarest of rare moments. I think we (mostly) understand when quality opposition from the top of the Championship dictates our approach but surely these are games where we shoudl be looking to impose our football and our plan on the opposition.

Fair play to Barrow, they gave it their all and they probably deserved that overall, but it was a really lacklustre performance from far too many of our players and a frustrating lack of any feeling that we had a plan that was going to win the game. The less said about the penalties the better.

End of the world ? Not really, but we fielded a strong 11 and bench and games like this are a great opportunity for fringe players to step up and show why they should be involved, regardless of the exact amount of minutes that we feel those players should get. I don't think anyone stood out (in a positive way), a few were OK but that's about it. We find ourselves needing a reaction again. Frustrating and disappointing. We move on.

50 minutes ago, Ram-Alf said:

Training and making yourself available for selection is part of being a footballer...it's a whole package, He new he was going to warm the bench this season

It's a pity he didn't work on taking penalties aye 😉

Only because Yates was suspended, Last night was tailored for Brown to start...but🤷‍♂️

I'll catch you in a bit as I'm off out now...👍

I just fail to see why you're calling him out simply because he didn't try to force a move elsewhere. He strikes me as a true professional that will always do all he can to contribute. Maybe he will be a bench warmer (who knows) but, as such, he still as a role to play even if it is only because other players ahead of him are not available as you highlight.

I suspect it may become rare that he starts games but if he comes off the bench and makes an impact (positive I hope 😀) then I don't think he's stealing a living.

Dreading Saturday in all honesty, not interested in another 1-0 zero chances created job either. We need to be competing or this season is over before it even really started for us. Still can't get over last night, the RD Warne interview was so telling. Not for what he said but for the tone and inflection in his voice. It told me he knows we aren't good enough and that is worrying.

2 minutes ago, Alty_Ram said:

I've waited until this morning to try and get my thoughts down on a post because I didn't want to give a knee jerk reaction.

The result - well obviously, we're not the first higher league opposition to get dumped out by less illustrious opponents and this is a competition that I'm not fussed about because we can probably see already that we just need to focus on staying in this division. That said though, for me it's the manner that is really important. If we'd bossed Barrow on possession and created far more than them but fell behind to a set piece or counter attack and then were unable to break down some stubborn and desperate defending then I can live with that. Last night though, we were just rather poor in all aspects. It wasn't exactly a hostile cauldron of an atmosphere, quite the opposite, it sounded more like a pre-season friendly for long periods. The pitch was meh but nowt wrong with it so it is really all about how we acquitted ourselves on the night and the answer to that was 'poorly'. Apart from a few NML moments 2nd half, we didn't really have them sweating and we lost too many battles, lacked a killer ball and showed some wasteful finishing with what little we did create. We gave the ball away too much and their press seemed to leave us with a strategy of just knocking it down the flanks and hope we could get a meaningful cross in. We totally failed to play through them except in the rarest of rare moments. I think we (mostly) understand when quality opposition from the top of the Championship dictates our approach but surely these are games where we shoudl be looking to impose our football and our plan on the opposition.

Fair play to Barrow, they gave it their all and they probably deserved that overall, but it was a really lacklustre performance from far too many of our players and a frustrating lack of any feeling that we had a plan that was going to win the game. The less said about the penalties the better.

End of the world ? Not really, but we fielded a strong 11 and bench and games like this are a great opportunity for fringe players to step up and show why they should be involved, regardless of the exact amount of minutes that we feel those players should get. I don't think anyone stood out (in a positive way), a few were OK but that's about it. We find ourselves needing a reaction again. Frustrating and disappointing. We move on.

It's not enough to say 'move on' - we can do that when a situation is resolved. Which it clearly isn't. 

I can only echo what has already been said. I had my head in my hands watching the ineptitude of the players. I was actually shocked at some of it. The passing, tackling and being available for a pass were absolutely awful. The standard of play served up was simply not acceptable. As some have said that was down there with some of the worst performances we have ever seen. I blame the players and the management equally.

I feel so sorry for Dave Clowes as he saved the club by spending a huge amount of his family wealth and no doubt is as desperate as the the rest of us to see success. Football however is a ruthless business and he has to have, if he hasnt already, some frank conversations with the management team. Was the planned investment this seson enough? Were the management team happy with said budget? If the management were happy with the budget how were they seemingly so wrong? Why are players rejecting us if they are rejecting us, is it more than budget? DC cannot contemplate going down again, simple as that! If our budget is league 1 however thats eventually where we will end up. As I say, I feel so sorry for Dave Clowes.

2 hours ago, FindernRam said:

You are right in the sense that our chance of winning it is zero, I care in that I always want the team to win and we need to bed in the new players.

Even more important is the money a cup run can bring in, so our accountants will care.

For me if there is no chance of winning just say that we are not going to try then I won’t even contemplate going or watching it - it makes me angry because it is supposed to be entertainment. Another poster indicated Warne’s record in the cups with us and it’s appalling and the football played has been worse. Even the Liverpool (reserve team) tie seemed like a chore to him as he was paying homage to them.

i used to love the FA cup and always went to every game because it’s a dream day out but that’s now an open weekend where I’ll probably not bother going, actually that’s one thing Lampard did well as he actually tried to win those games with his team selection and approach.

11 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

Dreading Saturday in all honesty, not interested in another 1-0 zero chances created job either. We need to be competing or this season is over before it even really started for us. Still can't get over last night, the RD Warne interview was so telling. Not for what he said but for the tone and inflection in his voice. It told me he knows we aren't good enough and that is worrying.

I also have a feeling of trepidation for Saturday (not just because of last nights performance) but I'd certainly be interested in a 1:0 win with zero other chances created if that's all that's on offer. Getting points on the board is the priority right now.