Marvin Johnson

BWRam

2 hours ago, Ramdale said:

Painful reading some of the responses on this site recently. Genuinely don’t know what fans expect. We’ve just been promoted & clearly trying to deal within our means after what happened to us.

Johnson would be a good signing. Good championship player & allow us to switch between Warnes 2 preferred formations. A massive upgrade on Elder. I suggest a few reacting negatively read the Wednesday fan comments on him. All be very sad to see him go.

Johnson would have been am OK signing for us last summer. He's now a year older, doesn't improve us enough (if at all), is a Sheff W player with a knob of an owner who gets off on messing us around, and a rumour which lacks creativity in the transfer market when there are so many better players than him abroad.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

We'll continue to recruit for 3 at the back and play 4 in the meantime. We'll probably miss out on 1 or 2 key targets, meaning 4 at the back is still our best formation. Hobble through to January, probably sign a decent winger, then decide no play without wingers a couple of weeks later.

Then repeat the entire process again next season.

Sadly, I fear you’re probably right. This summer does give a huge feeling of Deja vu to last year. Warne seems obsessed with trying to get 3 at the back to work despite it failing so many times already. Just stick to 4-3-3 and recruit properly for it and we will be so much better. 

These decisions could probably have been made during pre season, if we actually used friendlies to practice tactics rather than treating them as a cross country PE lesson.

11 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Warne seems obsessed with trying to get 3 at the back to work despite it failing so many times already. Just stick to 4-3-3 and recruit properly for it and we will be so much better. 

We've started both games this season with a back 4... he must be hiding this obsession very well 🤔

15 hours ago, Ramdale said:

Painful reading some of the responses on this site recently. Genuinely don’t know what fans expect. We’ve just been promoted & clearly trying to deal within our means after what happened to us.

Johnson would be a good signing. Good championship player & allow us to switch between Warnes 2 preferred formations. A massive upgrade on Elder. I suggest a few reacting negatively read the Wednesday fan comments on him. All be very sad to see him go.

No 33 year old who has played the entirety of his a career at championship level and below is a 'massive upgrade' on Elder who has exactly the same track record and is still 29.  Just wishful thinking 

1 hour ago, YorkshireRam said:

We've started both games this season with a back 4... he must be hiding this obsession very well 🤔

That’s because it’s the only formation we can play with the players we currently have - I’m sure he’d still rather play a 3 for some reason. That said, I’m pleased he has recognised the fact that we’re better suited to a 4-3-3 now, finally - hopefully he sticks with it now and we can try to build some tactical familiarity.

11 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

If anyone at the club is genuinely trying to do a deal with Sheffield Wednesday for a player, then they're obviously idiots. I hope that's not the case, meaning there can't be anything in this. 

Changing the goalposts at the last minute:

Have you not seen how many times the club have tried to sign Billy Sharp, a player who absolutely hates us, yet we have tried to sign him about 10 times 😆

I'm convinced our recruitment team is lead by someone still playing Champ Manager 5. 

Neil Mellor would still do a job.

18 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Have you not seen how many times the club have tried to sign Billy Sharp, a player who absolutely hates us, yet we have tried to sign him about 10 times 😆

I'm convinced our recruitment team is lead by someone still playing Champ Manager 5. 

Neil Mellor would still do a job.

David Mellor even 🦶

16 hours ago, Ramdale said:

We’ve had Elder for a year & can count on 1 hand the number of good games he has had. Not even close imo.

That’s because you can count on one hand the number of games he’s had full stop 😂

44 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

That’s because it’s the only formation we can play with the players we currently have - I’m sure he’d still rather play a 3 for some reason. That said, I’m pleased he has recognised the fact that we’re better suited to a 4-3-3 now, finally - hopefully he sticks with it now and we can try to build some tactical familiarity.

Not sure that's true. He was happy playing Elder and Wilson as wingbacks last season, and Bradley, Cash, and Nelson are all fit, so a back 5 is perfectly viable.

Also, if he's ''recognised the fact that we’re better suited to a 4-3-3 now'', then how can he be ''obsessed with trying to get 3 at the back to work'', don't those 2 statements sort of contradict each other? 🤔

2 hours ago, YorkshireRam said:

If the intention is to use a back 4 then we already have enough CBs in terms of numbers (?) with Nelson, Cashin, Bradley, Nyambe & Forsyth all options to play there. I suppose Bradley could go out on loan but I wouldn't bank on it.

Warne has talked about how important it is to have that pace when playing in the Championship and has stated that he wants to bring in another CB who can provide that.

I'd say even a solid back 4 of Nyambe, Nelson, Cashin, Forsyth/Elder are still likely to be exposed by pace at this level,  but I can't see him signing someone with the intention of displacing Nelson or Cashin, or bringing in someone pacier only for them to spend most of the time sat on the bench?

38 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

Not sure that's true. He was happy playing Elder and Wilson as wingbacks last season, and Bradley, Cash, and Nelson are all fit, so a back 5 is perfectly viable.

Not against Championship though opposition surely

Wilson - Nyambe - Nelson - Cashin - Elder perhaps?

Edited by May Contain Nuts

I think he does want to play a back 3, and Johnson would be an upgrade on Elder in that case. I’ve no real issue with the signing if it was to happen, not particularly inspiring but he’s a decent enough player.

From there I’m not really sure how the rest of the team fits, though - you play a 343 type and you have quite a lot of midfielders spare, 352 and you’ve a fair few wingers who you’re hoping can play in a front 2 or as an emergency wing back. 

I think the answer is probably Osborn at LWB and directing as many resources as possible to improving at the top end of the pitch. 

48 minutes ago, May Contain Nuts said:

Not against Championship though opposition surely

Wilson - Nyambe - Nelson - Cashin - Elder perhaps?

I don't know on this. I can't imagine Fozzy and Nyambe are classed as good enough at centre half at this level, but could be completely wrong. Bradley I suspect is backup.

Fwiw I think being able to go to a back 5 is a good option to have. There's going to be teams this season where sitting deep, soaking up pressure, and hitting on the counter is going to likely be our best bet at getting something out of the game. Back 5s are a solid way to go about that- we saw last season, we can play that way effectively sometimes?

3 hours ago, May Contain Nuts said:

If the intention is to use a back 4 then we already have enough CBs in terms of numbers (?) with Nelson, Cashin, Bradley, Nyambe & Forsyth all options to play there. I suppose Bradley could go out on loan but I wouldn't bank on it.

Warne has talked about how important it is to have that pace when playing in the Championship and has stated that he wants to bring in another CB who can provide that.

I'd say even a solid back 4 of Nyambe, Nelson, Cashin, Forsyth/Elder are still likely to be exposed by pace at this level,  but I can't see him signing someone with the intention of displacing Nelson or Cashin, or bringing in someone pacier only for them to spend most of the time sat on the bench?

I wouldn't fancy Nyambe at CB in a back 4. He's also the player best suited to RB in a back 4.

None of Cashin, Bradley or Forsyth are comfortable on the right either.

We need a CB who would be backup to or compete with Nelson in a back 4, but also be a strong starter in a back 3 (either in the middle, or on the right with Nelson central)